“Living in Indochine” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Villa Mathis

You added La Villa Mathis to your Saves list
La Villa Mathis
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   81 Jalan Bumbak | Banjar Anyar, Kerobokan, Bali, Indonesia (Formerly La Villa Mathis "Relais & Chateaux")   |
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Kerobokan
Melbourme
“Living in Indochine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

La Villa Mathis does an exceptional job of creating their own little world away from the hectic Bali outside. Beautifully designed rooms incorporating true Bali style provide an exciting and romantic environment. The resort layout is simultaneously spacious and private as well as being very picturesque. I stayed at Villa Rizieres which has a view over the pool, through the garden to tiered rice paddies rising to the horizon. Very special. No TV's in the rooms is a great touch for maintaining the ambience and seclusion, so with the soft French jazz playing and the stylish flags everywhere, I often felt like I was in an old French Indochinese movie....
My criticisms were minor, the spa was nice but lacked privacy and the shower in the spa area was a challenge to say the least. I was also a bit dissapointed in the breakfast.
Overall though the whole place is quite unique and with the welcoming hospitality of the manager and the owner, it's makes for a very special place. I was only there for 30 hours but it felt like three days. I'll be back again someday...

Room Tip: Check the bedroom setup. My room was traditional Bali style which is a bed on an elevated floor. Thi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Very relaxing stay at La Villa Mathis. Staff are friendly and nice. The decorations in the room and the layout are very special. I was a bit concerned about the outdoor bathroom, not usual thing for me. But it is a special experience!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Just returned from a week staying at La Villa Mathis which we purchased on a Scoopon. After reading some earlier reviews, I was a bit worried about what to expect. However, we were pleasantly surprised. What a top notch, beautiful place to stay! We arrived at 3am and were greeted by porters who carried our cases to our gorgeous room. Some people have complained that the rooms are not up to scratch but we thought the room (Madura) was stunning.

The hotel's gardens are lucious, colorful and well kept. The pools are fantastic and each villa has its own personality. If you want privacy, you can easily find your own pool and enjoy the peace and quiet.

We loved the idea of setting up an outdoor 'restuarant' by a different pool each night. We ate at the hotel 3 nights and really enjoyed the food, which was also reasonably priced. Breakfast was included and was fantastic and very filling. The butlers and staff around the hotel were extremely friendly, helpful, and accommodating. It was so good to learn about their lives.

The cleanliness of the hotel was second to none and the management very attentive to any requests. We had a problem with the air con one day and the manager organised for it to be fixed within about 30 minutes. We did not miss having TV or phone but the only suggestion is that we would have quite liked a mini fridge in the room so we could keep our water cold.

Thank you La Villa Mathis for a wonderful Bali experience! I have already recommended the hotel to friends at home in Melbourne.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed in Villa Mathis for 7 nights. During that time, we haven't had any grounds to complain, just the contrary. We were a bit worried at first because we had our 5 year old with us, and the place is not best suited for children. But the number of pools and staff to keep him entertained soon alleviated those fears. The place is definitely more suited for couples who want a relaxing time. However, if there are several of you, just book an entire villa with its 4 or 5 bedrooms, and the kids will not get bored. There are also all the activities on offer in Bali anyway. Maybe some people will not like the fact that there are no phones and no TV in rooms, but this is what we call traditional service and I personally really appreciated this. I had my laptop with me to quickly answer my emails, but this was already an infringement into my 'relax' time. TVs? who needs them on holidays? This is about reconnecting with your other one and your family... What's wrong about talking all evening at a nice dinner table around a pool, with staff that is just eager to please. The menu's prices were reasonable for such premises. I don't think you can expect prices served at your local café. Yes, my light bulb in my walk-in wardrobe was not changed despite reporting it numerous times, but if this is the only thing I have to complain about...what a delight. Our room was fantastic, the surroundings lush tropical gardens heaven. As far as phones are concerned, you just need to go out of the room to ask the villa's butler what you need. Well, I prefer a butler any day, don't you? I just read about cleanliness: our experience seem to be contrary to some of you: our villa has been absolutely spotless for our entire stay. Turndown service every night. Towels in every location. As soon as there was a footprint somewhere, this was cleaned straight away. So after one week of complete relaxation, we are now ready for facing city living for a while, until we travel again. Thank you Villa Mathis for giving us the chance of a wonderful holiday.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Villa MathisThe layout of the villa with the different Pavillions and swimming pools with attached gardens means that you are able to find a secluded spot anytime. The gardens are magnifcent giving the place a totally relaxing and genuine Bali experience.The winding paths added to the feel of being in someones private estate.
There are a couple of aspects that need some work-the bed was a bit firm for us, the spa was not up to Bali standards and the food could be improved in range and quality.Glasses would be good in the pavillions
However we plan on returning as the staff were attentive, the atmosphere wonderful. We hope to return with friends as this is an ideal set up for groups but if you are looking for a typical 5* resort this is probably not the place for you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We purchased our voucher from scoopon and the value was amazing. On arrival we were greeted by the manager and shown around the property. It was breathe takingly beautiful. Our room/villa was Komodo and simply wonderful. our experience was amazing the staff could not be more helpful and the whole holiday was relaxing and refreshing. At the end of the day any holiday is what you make it but being in these beautiful surroundings does help. Thank you for the experience. Greg and Karen

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Penang Island, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

The couple who were having their wedding in Bali booked the entire property for the guests. I arrived after dark (7ish PM). At first glance, the room was nice: Fancy canopied bed, bath tub with rose petals, and the rooms (in Maison Rouge) look like cute little cottages.

However, after staying in there for 3 nights and having visited a few other villas on the same property ("Les Jardins d'Hiver" and Ricefield), I feel like I totally got ripped off. The complaints:

1) My room was so poorly lit: They're probably going for the relaxing ambiance and what not, but I'd really appreciate the OPTION of "normal/ regular" lighting my room (for reading or whatever)!
2) The only mirror in the room was in the bathroom, which was hung so high for an average Asian that I could barely see my neck. How on earth was I expected to put on makeup, and check my overall outfit before leaving for the wedding? (The dim lighting didn't help either.)
3) There was no water when I got back to the villa at around midnight during my 2nd night there. The water did come back ~30 mins later, which I later found out was due to complaints from other guests.
4) There was no intercom/ phone which connects one room to another, or to the front desk. If you need anything, you'd need to walk out of your room (and even all the way to the front desk) to ask.

I expected more from a villa whose room costs ~USD 200/ night.

The good? Well, most of the staff were helpful and friendly. I find this (great service) to be a recurring theme in Bali.

The other villas (at least the two which I've visited) within Villa Mathis seem more modern and aligned with my expectations. Perhaps I'm just not the "rustic" kind of gal. Disappointed I was.

Room Tip: Avoid Maison Rouge (Red House)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
prizzo, Owner at La Villa Mathis, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comment, indeed as you said clearly in your mail, I think that you must feel more comfortable in modern and minimalist atmosphere than in our tropical property. From the beginning, we regret the huge development on the island of the modern and minimalist influence totally disconnected of the culture and the traditions of this beautiful island, the danger is of course that Bali could loose its roots with these untasty buildings (to please to the biggest market of asian tourists). Villa Mathis want to give back a real feeling of the beauty of Bali, its architecture, decoration, pushing the gardens a maximum to give a felling of relax and quietness to all our guests. To be honest, we are very glad to take this way already 7 years ago and most of our guests are very happy of this particular atmosphere we gave to our peaceful place.
May be when you will travel more in the future your expectations will be different than plasma screen and marble floors in your room, at this time you will be ready to come back to us and really appreciate the real essence of travelling.

Been to La Villa Mathis? Share your experiences!