“MY BEST CHOICE” 5 of 5 stars

Jalan Batu Belig, Gang Daksina 10b, Kerobokan, Bali 80266, Indonesia   |
Bali, Indonesia
“MY BEST CHOICE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

When I booked my stay at Villa Layang Bulan, I would never dream of choosing such a good place. And I am, efter almost four weeks living there, so happy being able to give all my best recommendations to anyone who is searching for a good gayhotel. Edwin and his staff are all doing their very best to make you comfortable. For example, they organize various tours all over Bali, all in your taste. You can order almost any kind of food from their kitchen, and it is weelcooked, from the heart. During my stay at Villa Layang Bulan, I met so many nice guys from all over the world, and we had many happy days together. Every night, the staff offered us guests free transport to the gaybars, and I joined it always. Good fun! Never hesitate to choose Villa Layang Bulan, if you want to stay in good hands for a nice, relaxing holiday in Bali. // Jörgen Alm from Sweden.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights after 2 nights at a hotel in Kuta. Kuta was not my scene as it was like any other busy downtown. This is my second stay at Layang Bulan and Edwin and staff really made me feel at home. Just a 10 minutes walk to the beach and to good restaurants nearby. But Edwin can whip up a great meal for you if you feel like eating in. Breakfast is inclusive and you have a good choice that caters to both western and Asian taste. Whether you are sociable or shy, Edwin will help break the ice for you and you will enjoy sharing experiences with fellow travellers. The rates are reasonable for a big tourist island like Bali and I highly recommend like-minded travellers to Layang Bulan. What I like about the villa is the pool which has sun in the morning and cool in the evening. Surprisingly mosquitoes are not a problem!

Room Tip: The loft is only recommended for the young and agile because the stairs maybe difficult for those wh...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Crawley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed at this guesthouse recently with my partner for a period of about 9 days. Edwin and his staff are very welcoming, and our collection from a previous hotel was organised and complimentary. A full introduction to the villa, local area etc given upon arrival. We stayed in the Kuta room, sold as the top room. Compared to some hotels the room was basic, but given this is a guesthouse it was perfectly acceptable, clean, private facilities, mini-bar etc. I will add that the price is very reasonable. The Kuta room has a terrace and is adjacent to the pool. It is worth noting that all facilities are shared between the guests, so it did happen that people sat on the terrace directly outside the bedroom door early in the morning! The Kuta room is on the ground floor and is subject to some general noise from the kitchen and office early in the morning.
With such a small number of guests it is a nice friendly atmosphere and everybody seems to get on well and as a gay guesthouse I'd definitely be happy staying again. A free shuttle to the gay bars and clubs was offered, although these are only a short taxi ride anyway. The beach is a short walk away and although dark sand, very rough seas and filthy there are some lovely bars and restaurants. Pool was a good size and wonderfully warm and clean, a few loungers nearby. Nudity optional, and a very relaxed atmosphere throughout.
I would only have a few points, one is breakfast, although fine and a few options available after a week or so it is a little repetitive. Secondly is the size of the villa, from the pictures and description I was under the impression the grounds would be a little more spacious, at times it did seem like people were a little on top of each other. However given that people were often out during the day, this only occurred occasionally. Although we went as a pair, almost all guests were singles.
I would definitely suggest taking a torch if your venturing out after dark. The nearby streets are very dark and with open drains and only partial pavements, disaster could be just a step away!
Finally Mosquitos, although told upon arrival that there are few Mosquitos, it's not entirely true, so take some insect repellent! (Not unique to this guesthouse, so not a criticism of Layang Bulan)

Room Tip: Each room seems to have its different merits. Kuta room has a very nice location with the terrace ad...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Balinyoman, Owner at Villa Layang Bulan, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
We are pleased to hear that Ross and his partner enjoyed their stay with us.
We would also like to thank Ross for having given us good rating.
We would like to make the following points which are important to our image.
(i) Breakfast
Our breakfast menu is a la carte. It is one of the best among the guest houses or even hotels all over the world. We offer Western and Asian set breakfasts. We are also very generous with our portioning.
Each set has 4 courses, inclusive of various choices of juices (eg Blueberry, Guava, Orange, Apple, Sour Sop), at least 2 choices of fresh fruits in season (which vary daily) and ending with French Toasts, Toasts or Pancakes.
The western main courses range from 3-egg Omelet of different fillings (eg Spanish Sofrito, Ham, Bacon, Cheese, Tomato or Mushroom) to Bacon, Ham or Sausage with Eggs (any style), Baked Beans, Mushroom or Fried Tomato.
The Asian main courses are either Fried Rice, Fried Noodle or Noodle Soup daily. But we offer Nasi Lemak (Coconut Rice), Fried Meehoon or Mee, Phad Thai, Roti Pratha or Roti Canai too when we have many Malaysian and Singaporean guests.
(ii) Top Room by the Pool and its verandah
This is a fairly large double room with its own private bathroom and verandah. Like all of our private rooms, it has air conditioner, high speed wi fi, cable tv, fridge with mini bar, safe box, cabinet for clothings, side tables with drawers with reading lamps and safe box for valubles. There is a round table large enough for 4 to 5 persons at its verandah for dining, writing and relaxing.
Our furniture and linen are of good quality and comfortable. But of course, they are not luxurious because we are charging very reasonble rates.
The verandah adjacent to this room is exclusively for guests of this room. Lately, we have put up a notice to stop guests of other rooms to relax here unless they are invited.
(iii) Lane linking to the main road
Our villa is linked to the main road Jalan Batu Belig and gay beach by a beautifully surfaced lane which is dotted with private villas, small hotels and guest houses. This is a safe area.
Like most areas in Bali, several segments of the drains along the lane and the main road are uncovered. Hence, one need to be careful when he or she walks around any urban area in Bali.
Many private villas, guest houses and small hotels leave their front lights on throughout the night. It is not totally dark to walk along the lane between our villa and the main road. I (the owner) and most of our guests have never walked around with a torchlight.
(iv) Noise from office and kitchen
We have told our staff to be more mindful with their noise level when they are in the office and kitchen especially during early hours and late nights.
(v) Mosquitos
We do not have mosquitos during the day.
During the night, keep the room window and door shut and one would be able to sleep soundly without anti-mosquito coil or net. Everyroom is provided with anti-mosquito electrical device for keeping mosquito away effectively during the night. For the outdoor area, apply mosquito repellent cream on your skin, if you are susceptible to mosquito bites. Not everyone of us are prone to mosquitos.
Bali has large areas of rice fields. We are close to rice fields. When the rice fields are wet, we will get mosquitos after 6pm. We do not have these problem at night when the rice fields are dry.
I am the owner of Villa Layang Bulan, Bali. I am an envid tarveller. I travel 4 to 5 months annually. I get much more mosquitos in places where I had stayed in French Polynesia, Thailand, Cambodia, Antigua, Barbados, St Lucia, Panama, Belize, Honduras, Grenada and Candian Rockies. I am currently planning for Norway. A Nordic friend advised me to avoid certain months because there are plenty of mosquitos at the fjords.
Perth, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Well I took a friend for his first trip to Bali and we both had a great time staying in the Villa.
Lots of guests from different countries and made some new friends. Always good to relax by the pool, clothing optional and staff are very helpful.

This is my third stay and I will book again. If you are travelling solo, just book - there is always a new friend to meet at the villa. Good location, close to lots of great places to eat and the beach to wander on. Highly recommended

Room Tip: I had an upstairs room, own ensuite
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

After 10 days in other hotels we decided to book 3 nights in here. The price was good so expectations where not that high. We arrived got a nice welcome from Edwin and his staff. Guided to our room and was a nice corner room with plenty light. Very nice breakfast every morning and the pool was big enough. Free drop off at the gay bars in the evening or other places in seminyak. Definitely will be back as this was the first time in a hotel like this as a couple of both 25. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have stayed at Villa Layang Bulan many times.Why do I keep going back there everytime? Simple.Because from my very first visit, I was made to feel like part of a family and made so very welcome and being a solo traveller I found that so comforting.Edwin has got to be one of the nicest and most sincere person I have ever met.Nothing is too much trouble and he always goes out of his way to ensure that guests are properly taken care of and any issues that may arise are dealt with promptly.
I have read some negative reviews about Villa Layang Bulan on Trip Advisor and I would disagree with many of them.
Since the last time I was there Edwin has spent a lot of money upgrading the Villa and this is still ongoing as these things always take time.
The road to the Villa (Gang Daksina) has recently been resurfaced/paved and there are now two accesses to the Villa from the main road Jalan Batu Belig.
Jalan Batu Belig has emerged as a thoroughfare for many attractions/businesses that are in very close proximity to Villa Layang Bulan.These include many diverse restaurants (Cucina Rustica,Bow,Warang Sobat,Naughty Nuri, Ethnics and Pavillion to name a few.
Also handy to the Villa are ATM's/Money Changers/Post Office/24 Hour Mini Marts/Spas/Shops.
Villa Layang Bulan is a short stroll to Jalan Batu Belig,Gay beaches,Potato Head,W Hotel,warung Cantina(on the beach) etc.
Since I was last at the Villa the interior of the Villa has been repainted and upgraded and Edwin is in the process of having upgrading rooms,swimming pool,gardens etc.
I congratulate Edwin on his continuous efforts to ensure that each guests stay is a truly memorable one.Many of the guys I have spoken to have said they would come and stay at Villa Layang Bulan again.They hace commented to me how different it is from other Villas and how warm and inviting Edwin is.I feel more than just a guest at his Villa.I feel like someone special.
So once again WELL DONE EDWIN and I sincerely hope that your Villa goes from strength to strength and will continue to attract guys from all over the globe.
Although it may be smaller than some of the other Villas, there's none that would compare to the individual attention and care given to each and every guest by Edwin and his friendly staff Nyomen,Made,Ketut and Wayan.
I would certainly recommend Villa Layang Bulan to anyone wanting to have a memorable stay in Bali.

Wil Matrenza, Rockingham

Room Tip: I always stay in the Cangu Room.It's spacious, has ensuite,and is more secluded and quieter.Also...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The gay friendly villa is run by Edwin and his team. I had a nice poolside room. (Some of the others looked a bit small.) The villa's reception area was being redecorated when I was there.
There was a mix of guests from around the world of all ages. All were friendly.
You can easily walk to Kereboken beach from the villa and there are some restaurants nearby too-- including naughty nori.
If you want to go to Semanyak or the bars you will need to use the villa car or get a taxi- but its easy to do.
It's not 5 star luxury but good value, pleasant rooms and nice mix of guys.

Room Tip: Go for a poolside room if you can-- but they are much in demand
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Villa Layang Bulan? Share your experiences!