“Nice, but not brilliant” 3 of 5 stars

+62 361 4737809
Website
Update restaurant details
Ranked #3 of 68 restaurants in Kerobokan
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night, Dessert, Private Dining
Sydney, Australia
“Nice, but not brilliant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Suggest you don't have the set menu- it is limited and largely boring. Tastes ok though.

Ask not to be seated near the kitchen- it is a very hot zone and really noisy as the waiters pickup orders, have a chat, joke etc. It's like eating in a food hall... just much more expensive. Other areas of the restaurant are quieter.

The wine list is limited- wine is very expensive in Indonesia, but the cocktails are ok.

Ignore the website about the dress code... consider wearing shorts and a loose top as this restaurant is hotter than hades.

Perhaps don't ignore the website re kids... Kids likely wont enjoy this place and they will bored (there is no wifi)

Oh and don't worry about smoking zones... As we were receiving our mains, a male restaurant manager directed two Aussie girls to smoke right beside our table ... in the non smoking area. He even gave them an ashtray! Keystone cops moment

The kitchen is quick, with mains following rapidly after entrées. So if you're after a leisurely meal you might want to ask them not to rush you. The waiters are very nice and helpful.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

87% Recommend
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
“A-Mazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I am no foodie so I am not going to pretend I am a critic, I just know that I enjoy new things so when a friend told me to check out Sarong when I when I was in Bali I figured why not.
From the outside, it doesn't look like much but when you walk in it's a pretty amazing place. Whilst it is under a roof it is an open air restaurant so it can get a get a little sticky and hot but like Bali as a whole you kind of ignore the humidity and just deal with it.
I ate the snapper and friends had the duck and chicken korma, along with some sharing plates and we all enjoyed each dish. We love spicy food so there was no complaints but if you are not a lover of spicy food I am not sure there would be a great selection on the menu for you to choose.
The price is on the higher side for Bali however still cheap (by Melbourne price standards) for a great meal that filled my tummy and left me feeling satisfied.
Recommend people to try it, just make sure you book in advance.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal in a beautiful setting!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We ate here on the last night of our honeymoon and this was definitely an excellent choice.

We tried to book a table and they were fully booked but we were advised by our hotel to try still as they keep some tables for walk in guests. We were so pleased we tried as they had a lovely little table outside in the gardens which were beautiful. We splashed out on a bottle of wine which is expensive throughout Bali due to taxes but also had some cocktails after dinner at the bar which were lovely.

The food was without doubt the best we ate while in Bali. I had scallops to start which were light and full of flavour, my husband had prawn dumplings which were beautiful!

For main I had the slow cooked lamb curry and my husband had the tandoori chicken leg. Both were absolutely amazing, full of flavour and both were big portions.

I would highly recommend this restaurant if you want excellent food in a beautiful setting.

Visited June 2013
“I see why it is rated so highly!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Amazing asian food! Their duck and pork dishes rock. While this is not a Balinese restaurant by any means, it is exceptionally good food with a gorgeous setting. The manager was very conversational even when busy; the staff very helpful and not over the top... and the ladies at the entrance, very gracious. We enjoyed our evening very much and felt truly on holiday. Just a note on dress code - Smart casual.. shorts accepted but if you can, dress nicely. I saw too many thong wearers in there and while i know its hot at night in Bali, how hard is it to wear some shoes? No singlets allowed and fair enough. It is a dining experience, not McDonalds.

Visited June 2013
Perth, Australia
“sarong is excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Eat at Sarong every time we go to Bali. The food is excellent also the waiters are very attentive to your needs. Atmosphere at the restaurant could be any were in the world. It has touches of Bali also world class decor and ambience. Very romantic atmosphere with very soft lighting. Cocktails are excellent. Probably for Bali restaurants little bit more expensive but same meal with drinks in Australia would cost you double the price. Would recommend this restaurant for a special night out in Bali.

• Visited May 2013