“Yes, it's all true.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tirta Ayu Hotel & Restaurant

Save Saved
You added Tirta Ayu Hotel & Restaurant to your Saves list
Tirta Ayu Hotel & Restaurant
3.5 of 5 Villa   |   Inside Tirtagangga, The Water Palace | Amlapura, Karangasem, Bali 80852, Indonesia   |
Wellington, New Zealand
“Yes, it's all true.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

We kept patting ourselves on the back to find this gorgeous place to stay. We initially stayed two nights but then returned for another two nights.
The Villas and Restaurant are situated overlooking the beautiful grounds of the historical Royal Palace. Even though there are many people touring the grounds during the day it is still a peaceful place to be and in the evening, when sitting in the restaurant, you feel as if you really are the King and Queen of the castle with the gardens set out before you!
The villas are decorated to a high quality and have all the amenities anyone would require. We had a villa with an outdoor bathroom which was lovely, especially on the night of the full moon.
There is a swimming pool on site for guests but you can use the public pool in the grounds of the Palace too if you wish.
The restaurant was certainly a highlight for us. The food is creative and very well cooked with an extensive range of Indonesian and European cuisine. The waiting staff had obviously been extremely well trained and the other hotel staff were friendly and efficient.
I don't think you would be disappointed if you stayed at the Tirta Ayu Hotel.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Indonesian first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

We spent the first three nights of our honeymoon here, and it was the perfect spot to chill out and relax after the mayhem of wedding organisation. It's very quiet - often we had the restaurant to ourselves, but that didn't matter because the view out over the water gardens is so spellbinding that a restarant 'buzz' isn't needed to create atmosphere. In fact I'd go so far as to say it was one of my favourite breakfast locations in the world, just because of that vista and the serenity of it all.

We stayed in the Rajah's Villa, as it seemed appropriate for a honeymoon, but actually it felt a bit goldfishbowly as it's a bit of a focal point, so we had to keep the blinds drawn most of the time. If I was going back, I think I'd choose one of the regular bungalows, as they looked a bit more cosy and secluded. The gardens and pool are beautiful and well maintained.

The Water Palace itself is wonderful. We really enjoyed strolling around the ponds and fountains, and watching the local kids jumping into the water from the stepping stones. If this place was in Europe everything would be fenced off and scrubbed up, but here it escapes that stifling attention and you get the feeling that the jungle is only one step away from reclaiming the land. It feels like it belongs to the locals, who clearly have a huge affection for the place.

We hired a guide to take us on a walk through the rice fields and jungle to an ancient village, and I would totally recommend it. Nothing too strenuous, but a great way to see the landscape of Bali and to see how the Balinese live and work.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

I can still hear the water flowing from the spring, through the many pools of water lilies and koi, down the fountains and out through the rice paddies. I can still hear the birds, and see the butterflies and the faces of the people there. I can feel the sun reflecting off the beautiful pool in front of our villa, and I can hear those adorable little geckos chirping at night, keeping us company. I can hear the beautiful music and see the women walking with baskets full of fruit balanced on their heads. Wonderful food, attentive staff, romantic rooms with canopy beds and jasmine-scented linens. Please don't make me open my eyes!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Mex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

This is one of the most beautiful places on earth. As soon as I entered this sacred water palace, with views of the sea and volcanoes I knew I wanted to have my wedding here.
I managed to convince my friend and family from all over the world (UK, USA, Malaysia, Switzerland, etc etc) to come to Bali (for their first times in Asia) for our wedding.
The manager and staff made everything perfect, and made us all feel this was a truly sacred and spiritual time (as a wedding is). They were wonderful and help ensure it was the best day of my life. Also the staff did NOT just make it feel like business. They truely were wonderful. If you are thinking about trusting these people (Manager name is Haryo) then please do as they will help you and make you feel everything will be perfect and be a special moment.
Thank you Tirtagangga!
Stefan and Mei (UK and Malaysia)
(When/If we have children and our aniversaries we shall visit this beautiful place and people)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

This hotel is located within the beautiful water palace. It is absolutely gorgeous.

You should be able to get a room (a nice one) with Aircon for $35. We did not book any hotels online as it was much easier to show up and bargin. Even the walk in rate was only $50 (but we barginned them down).

The staff and service are wonderful. The restaurant is amazing. Drinks, pizza and sandwiches were great and the portions were large.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Greater Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

My husband and I have just returned from our annual trip to Bali and for the first time in my life I cannot put into words how we felt about Tirta Ayu. What a wonderful place, beautiful scenery, beautiful people, beautiful food and beautiful accommodation, relaxing and enchanting, yet so much to see and do, a part of Bali we will never forget

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Cannot think of any
  • Tips/Secrets — Tirtagangga is worth seeing if you are holidaying in Bali
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Tirta Ayu Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!