“Amazing experience- highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 74 Restaurants in Karangasem
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Delivery
Description: Bali Asli is located in Gelumpang village, near the town of Amlapura, the capital of Karangasem regency, in the North East of Bali. About 2 hours drive from the airport, and 30minutes from Candidasa village, and 30minutes from Amed village. Nestled in the foot hills of Mount Agung, Bali’s most sacred mountain, surrounded by rice fields, there is not a building to be seen. Bali Asli promotes Balinese cuisine and culture without exploiting it or it’s people. We embrace our community, supporting those who fish, farm and forage in the near by fields, ocean and jungle. Our menu offers authentic Balinese food using a traditional Balinese style kitchen, cooking on wood-fired, mud brick stoves, allowing the real flavours of Bali to shine. Most of our ingredients are either grown in our garden, in our neighbour’s garden or purchased from the local market The cooking school runs unique classes themed on “a day in the life of...” every class includes an adventure into local areas off the beaten track. Weather it is learning how to plant rice or plough with a cow, fishing in a jukung canoe and cooking on an open fire or making cocktails from cashew nut wine, our students always leave with fond memories and new skills to experiment with when they get home.
Bendigo, Australia
“Amazing experience- highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My friend and I had the good fortune to decide to take a long day trip to try out Bali Asli - we had read a review about it in one of the papers at home and it sounded worth a try. Whilst it is a big day trip from Seminyak, 2hrs there and back, it's quite interesting and you can throw in a trip to a couple of the temples along the way without much trouble - if you're use to travelling in Australia on the road in terms of long distances, this is not too bad. Having driven around the area as well on our way there, it's obviously also a good place to go if in Candidasa or any of the little villages along the way around that area.

The restaurant itself is set in just the most beautiful setting, with amazing views and just such a tranquil setting - I highly recommend a trip to the loo - the view is just spectacular and brings a new meaning to an outdoor loo!!!!

The food itself is a very special experience, made from local ingredients and quite different flavours to the "usual" you get in the stock standard places. It is complimented by excellent service and also a chat with Penny, the owner and chef - she has done a wonderful job in creating this wholistic "foodie" experience from the ambience to the service to the food - as she said to us herself, "she is living the dream"...

Congratulations Penny on creating a very special experience !!!! We enjoyed ourselves immensely !

Visited June 2013

• Korean first
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Destination: Bali Asli”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I had the great fortune of taking a cooking class with Penelope. It was our third cooking class in this visit to Bali and it stands out far above the other two. It is definitely more expensive but the location, the facility, Pene (a trained and well-experienced professional chef) and the refinement of the recipes and process justify the disparity in price. First of all, go on her website - it well represents the place and setting - quite unparalleled! We started with a trip to the market, one of Bali's nicer markets in our experience - unfortunately we find most of the markets here quite depressing - dark, dirty and oppressive - not fun, happy places like say in Mexico. This is outdoors and the feeling is a good one and Pene is thorough and delightful in pointing out little things we had never been exposed to before. After the market we returned to her amazing open-air restaurant where we first learned how to make and give an offering. Then, onto the cooking - my husband and I were lucky to be the only participants that day so we got all of her attention. The whole set up is immaculate , efficient and lots of fun AND very informative - if you can take only one cooking class in Bali, this is THE ONE you should travel to. If you don't have time or resources for a class, JUST GO AND EAT LUNCH THERE! You will be Bali happy at Bali Asli (Balinese for authentic!)

“A Must Do in Bali”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My girlfriend and I did the "Day in the Life of a Fisherman" cooking experience and it was fantastic!
Note: You go fishing on a boat not a jetty which my girlfriend didn't realise and she was a bit seasick so we called the fishing early haha!
The cooking lessons with Penny the owner are highly recommended. To be honest we had no idea what Balinese food was and she explained everything and where it comes from and why they eat it which was great and one of the highlights of our trip. We had to leave in a hurry to catch a ferry and Penny was nice enough to parcel our food up so we could eat it on the ferry- thanks!
As everyone else has said the view of this place is just stunning, I recommend it to everyone I know going to Bali now (and make sure you check out the toilet!!)

• Visited April 2013
Perth, Australia
“Aromatic Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

If you are looking for an interesting experience, you can't go past Bali Asli, spend a few hours cooking with the aromatic spices of Bali, take a trek through the local forest with a knowledgeable guide or just enjoy a scrumptious lunch looking over the valley - a great experience, well-worth doing.

Perth, Australia
“Deluxe Bali Cooking Class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This was probably one of the best cooking trek/classes I have ever attended. I can't rate it highly enough. The fabulous owner and super chef Penny has set up the most spectacular cooking school, which is over-looking a tropical, misty valley. From the spicy, snake fruit welcome drink, the slightly arduous but fabulous trek to an authentic village, back to cooking class and delicious lunch, it was all just top notch. I managed the walk in my white placky beach sandals but I would recommend sneakers for those interested as it can be steep and rocky in parts. I feel like we got to see authentic Bali when we visited a hidden little village for morning tea. It was complete with smiling families, woven huts, smoky cooking fires, dogs, chooks and a wee fat piglet.

Penny's staff are beautifully relaxed, friendly people and our guide Dewar was a sweetie. The restaurant is gorgeous. I particularly loved the hand moulded bricks on the kitchen wall and the glam open air loo with a view.

My daughter and I really enjoyed the tasting and identifying of the various ingredients of Bumbu Bali and making dishes like Nasi Goreng.

Thank you, Penny! We'll be back and we'll recommend you to all our friends.