“A Must Do in Bali” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 75 Restaurants in Karangasem
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Delivery
Description: Bali Asli is located in Gelumpang village, near the town of Amlapura, the capital of Karangasem regency, in the North East of Bali. About 2 hours drive from the airport, and 30minutes from Candidasa village, and 30minutes from Amed village. Nestled in the foot hills of Mount Agung, Bali’s most sacred mountain, surrounded by rice fields, there is not a building to be seen. Bali Asli promotes Balinese cuisine and culture without exploiting it or it’s people. We embrace our community, supporting those who fish, farm and forage in the near by fields, ocean and jungle. Our menu offers authentic Balinese food using a traditional Balinese style kitchen, cooking on wood-fired, mud brick stoves, allowing the real flavours of Bali to shine. Most of our ingredients are either grown in our garden, in our neighbour’s garden or purchased from the local market The cooking school runs unique classes themed on “a day in the life of...” every class includes an adventure into local areas off the beaten track. Weather it is learning how to plant rice or plough with a cow, fishing in a jukung canoe and cooking on an open fire or making cocktails from cashew nut wine, our students always leave with fond memories and new skills to experiment with when they get home.
“A Must Do in Bali”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My girlfriend and I did the "Day in the Life of a Fisherman" cooking experience and it was fantastic!
Note: You go fishing on a boat not a jetty which my girlfriend didn't realise and she was a bit seasick so we called the fishing early haha!
The cooking lessons with Penny the owner are highly recommended. To be honest we had no idea what Balinese food was and she explained everything and where it comes from and why they eat it which was great and one of the highlights of our trip. We had to leave in a hurry to catch a ferry and Penny was nice enough to parcel our food up so we could eat it on the ferry- thanks!
As everyone else has said the view of this place is just stunning, I recommend it to everyone I know going to Bali now (and make sure you check out the toilet!!)

• Visited April 2013

• Korean first
Perth, Australia
“Aromatic Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

If you are looking for an interesting experience, you can't go past Bali Asli, spend a few hours cooking with the aromatic spices of Bali, take a trek through the local forest with a knowledgeable guide or just enjoy a scrumptious lunch looking over the valley - a great experience, well-worth doing.

Perth, Australia
“Deluxe Bali Cooking Class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This was probably one of the best cooking trek/classes I have ever attended. I can't rate it highly enough. The fabulous owner and super chef Penny has set up the most spectacular cooking school, which is over-looking a tropical, misty valley. From the spicy, snake fruit welcome drink, the slightly arduous but fabulous trek to an authentic village, back to cooking class and delicious lunch, it was all just top notch. I managed the walk in my white placky beach sandals but I would recommend sneakers for those interested as it can be steep and rocky in parts. I feel like we got to see authentic Bali when we visited a hidden little village for morning tea. It was complete with smiling families, woven huts, smoky cooking fires, dogs, chooks and a wee fat piglet.

Penny's staff are beautifully relaxed, friendly people and our guide Dewar was a sweetie. The restaurant is gorgeous. I particularly loved the hand moulded bricks on the kitchen wall and the glam open air loo with a view.

My daughter and I really enjoyed the tasting and identifying of the various ingredients of Bumbu Bali and making dishes like Nasi Goreng.

Thank you, Penny! We'll be back and we'll recommend you to all our friends.

Perth
“Simply Stunning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Or Stunningly Simple - Either way well worth a visit. Awesome atmosphere, Amazing Views and and a must do on any trip to Bali

Australia
“Sensational!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

What an amazing restaurant! First, the view - Mt Agung in all it's glory. We were lucky enough to have a clear day so that we could see the entire outline of Mt Agung with fleeting clouds and with the rice paddies as a vista in the foreground. The food - scrumptious! We were served krupuk ( crackers of varied flavours and textures) and three sambals and roasted peanuts. We both had Nasi Campur (which changes almost daily). A mound of delicious rice with purple taro and sweet potato (I think) with fish satays, a very tasty vegetable soup with broad beans and spinach and delicate spices, a chicken curry that was subtle and sophisticated at the same time and a coconut tempeh that was really very good. My hubby enjoyed the same dishes except he opted for the banana flower salad over the soup. To drink we had home made pineapple beer - what a taste sensation! We also tried the jackfruit beer - never thought I would see hubby drinking fruit beer but he pronounced them both delicious. Penny the owner and chef is an amazing lady who had a dream and has made it a reality. One of the best meals I have indulged in in a very long time.

Visited June 2013