“Beautiful restaurant, cooking class” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 76 Restaurants in Karangasem
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Delivery
Description: Bali Asli is located in Gelumpang village, near the town of Amlapura, the capital of Karangasem regency, in the North East of Bali. About 2 hours drive from the airport, and 30minutes from Candidasa village, and 30minutes from Amed village. Nestled in the foot hills of Mount Agung, Bali’s most sacred mountain, surrounded by rice fields, there is not a building to be seen. Bali Asli promotes Balinese cuisine and culture without exploiting it or it’s people. We embrace our community, supporting those who fish, farm and forage in the near by fields, ocean and jungle. Our menu offers authentic Balinese food using a traditional Balinese style kitchen, cooking on wood-fired, mud brick stoves, allowing the real flavours of Bali to shine. Most of our ingredients are either grown in our garden, in our neighbour’s garden or purchased from the local market The cooking school runs unique classes themed on “a day in the life of...” every class includes an adventure into local areas off the beaten track. Weather it is learning how to plant rice or plough with a cow, fishing in a jukung canoe and cooking on an open fire or making cocktails from cashew nut wine, our students always leave with fond memories and new skills to experiment with when they get home.
Tempe, New South Wales, Australia
“Beautiful restaurant, cooking class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We had planned to do a cooking class in Legian later in our holiday. We saw a recommendation for Bali Asli and decided to go their for lunch. I did a bit of research and when I saw photos of the location and read about Penny we decided that this was the place for a cooking class.
After going to the morning market to buy ingredients we went back to Bali Asli and started the class. Penny was so informative and knowledgable about everything Bali! Asli means genuine or real and this was Asli sekali!
I couldn't recommend this higher as a "must see" on a Bali holiday. Do yourself a favour :)

• Visited May 2013

• Korean first
Melbourne Australia
“Live & Learn Love - Bali Asli”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I feel a bit guilty for not posting a glowing review of our village tour & cooking school experience from last year which we did enjoy so much. So here goes now.. the first part of the trek was pretty strenuous with uphill challenges ( wear comfy footwear) however you are rewarded with interesting village experiences and have your cameras fully charged for spectacular scenery. After whatever experience you have chosen, Penny spends a largish part of the class taking students through an amazing culinary journey, tasting sniffing and much learning about Balinese ingredients and culture prior to an easy paced enjoyable lesson, as the eager staff happily keep you supplied with delicious drinks.You may never take a sate for granted again ...

There has been much written about the beautiful building that Penny had built to house the restaurant and cooking school and the magnificent views - words can’t do it justice you must come here and see for yourself.
This visit we came just for the meal and again it was worth the drive. This is locally grown & freshly picked and prepared food at its best.

From experience I would definitely recommend staying close by at one of the recommended stays on the Bali Asli website ( I think if it's close by Penny provides a pickup service) both times we have been to Bali Asli the traffic from both Ubud and Seminyak was horrible and getting anxious about being late for a class or a meal is not the best start to enjoy it. Ensure too that you print out a good map for your driver beforehand to find Bali Asli, they say they know where it is - and sometimes they don’t!!!

• Visited March 2013
australia
“Traditional Indonesian food at its best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We ate at Bali Asli yesterday with friends, at the suggestion of our accommodation place. The first thing to come out was a unique drink with snake fruit, cloves, cinnamon and star anise and stirred with a sugar cane stick. Most of us wrote down the ingredients to try at home but with pear or quince as we can't get Snake fruit in Victoria.

Nearly everything from the menu to the decor to the food appears to be traditional Balinese.
We shared the 6 mixed dishes which was mostly unique and very very good. The Australian chef Penny came out to explain everything to us. She exuded the enthusiasm who is in love with her profession and explained that she buys organic food which she selects in the morning and then works the menu around that. Some of the herbs and vegetables are grown on the property.
Some in our party liked the pork best, some the minced chicken satay, and some one of the many salads. They also had an interesting beer selection of Jackfruit beer, ginger beer and pineapple beer and another one I can't recall. It wasn't to my tastes but others in our group loved it.
The service was lovely as was the setting which overlooked the rice fields in the valley below.
(The best view was from the loo if you're sitting down that is).
I don't think they are open for dinner but not sure about that as we at lunch. We will eat there again, next time we are on the East Coast. Note that it is hard to find so you would have to organise contact between your driver and the restaurant before heading out.

• Visited June 2013
Australia
“Sensational experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Bali Asli is amazing and definitely worth the journey to get there. The whole package of the fishing experience, cooking and then eating was a highlight of our trip. Penny has really imbibed the Bali culture and tradition into her surroundings and you feel really at home in this secluded mountain location. We are inspired to get cooking Balinese style when we get home and have some great info and recipes to get us started, I just hope I can remember the banana leaf folding technique for those tasty parcels of fish and tofu. The Ginger Coffee and the Pineapple Beer were very unique and so morish just like Bali Asli!

• Visited May 2013
Seoul
“Awesome tour and cooking experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I am a little late on my review but I wanted to review my girlfriend and my experience at Bali Asli.

First, the owner (Penny) is awesome! She was incredibly from the getgo and was very timely in responding to all of my questions leading up to our cooking class and special tour.

We signed up for one of the "Day in the life" tours and chose the Bali Fisherman. The tour was comprised of being picked up from our villa and taken to a fishing area where we boarded a Balinese fishing boat, fished for a couple hours, and then returned to Bali Asli for cooking (and eating) classes. Everything was amazing.

Penny picked us up herself (as her staff was on holiday) and drove us to the White Sandy Beach near our villa. She had a Balinese fishing boat reserved for us and we all went out to sea on it. Unfortuneately we were unable to catch anything. :( It was still a fun experience though.

After we went fishing we returned to her restaurant, which we never would've found on our own, and were offered different types of refreshing Balinese drinks. The drinks were really yummy and made the experience more relaxing. The view from inside the restaurant is stunning! We took so many pictures in and around the restaurant and they all turned out beautifully.

Now on to the cooking class. Before we began actually cooking, Penny sat down with us and gave us a brief class on the different types of Balinese seasonings and ingredients to help us get an understanding of how each flavor can affect the taste of the dish. It was very informative and we enjoyed it.

Next, we were taken to a cooking station where all of the ingredients we would need initially were waiting for us, along with aprons (which we got to keep as a souvenir). We began to cook out 5 course meal which included a chicken dish, a fish dish, a salad, rice, steamed tofu wrapped in banana leaves, and sauces. It took around an hour or so to go through the actual cooking portion but it was so much fun. Penny is a great teacher and was very patient with a couple of beginner "wannabe" chefs like us.

Afterwards, her staff brough all of our dishes to a table with an amazing view and we began to eat. Everything tasted amazing. I will have to admit I made a pig of myself and ate much more than my girlfriend did. To top it all off, Bali Asli also brews its own beer in a variety of flavors (mango beer, ginger beer, etc). We purchased the sampler of them all (cost extra but well worth it) and was able to try them all.

At the end, we were given certificates saying we completed a Balinese cooking class was neat and another souvenir from my experience.

On a side note, they also sell some pretty cool souvenirs. I purchased a Balinese cooking knife that was one of my favorite souvenirs from Bali. I will add that it is extremely sharp. While I was sticking it back in the leather sheath it comes with, I hit the part of the leather that snaps around the knife handle to hold it in place and cut it off. It barely touched the leather and still managed to slice it in half. Better the leather than my finger. ;)

Overall, we had a great time and this was one of the best tours we have ever taken together. We both highly recommend it!

• Visited February 2013