“Modern suites” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Towson University Marriott Conference Hotel

Save Saved
You added Towson University Marriott Conference Hotel to your Saves list
Towson University Marriott Conference Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 West Burke Avenue, Towson, MD 21204 (Formerly Burkshire Marriott Conference Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
AAA/CAA Members Save More
Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Towson
“Modern suites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

We loved this hotel. Really can't believe there are 12 terrible reviews. You can't beat the location- right on the edge of Towson University campus and walking distance to many nice places to eat in town.
The hotel is stunning. Modern. The one BR suites are small apartments with a full kitchen and washer/dryer. Balcony with a view of campus. Comfortable king size bed. My only criticism is the cheap compact hair dryer that sucked my hair in.
The front desk people were friendly and helpful. Free underground parking. Highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2012

156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed here using a government rate on a Sunday night at the beginning of a business trip to the DC area. This was an enjoyable stay and the staff were all excellent.

I was assigned a one bedroom executive suite on the third floor next to the elevator and ice machine, a location that I usually try to avoid. Fortunately, the living areas of the suite were far enough away that I wasn't disturbed by any noises (only by exterior noises the following morning). The suite layout was larger than the Marriott Suites properties that I've stayed in. It was similar to Residence Inns that I've visited in older converted apartment buildings, however the decor and furniture were standard for full-service Marriotts, including the awesome bed and bedding. The kitchen was larger than for a typical Residence Inn, but not as well-equipped, for example, there was a small under-counter refrigerator with no freezer compartment. The bathroom had a large stall shower and no tub, and there was no way to pre-adjust the shower water temperature without getting wet.

The hotel was fairly empty. This was the Sunday after Hurricane Sandy and some of the guests appeared to have been displaced from their homes. There was a concierge lounge on the 16th floor. The lounge hours were not available in my suite, so I guessed that 5:30 was the opening time and went up at about 5:35. I found one other guest outside in the hallway. The lights were out, but our keycards allowed admittance. It was unclear if the lounge was open or closed. A small selection of cold drinks and chips was available and we turned on a couple of lamps but could not find the main light switch. The other guest took some chips and left. I explored the room for a few minutes, then went out into the hallway and encountered the lounge attendant wheeling in the cart of fresh food items. The items were of high quality, with a very limited selection of one hot item and one cold, then cookies at 7:30. No other guests were in the lounge during any of my three visits. The lounge offerings were not sufficient to consitute dinner, so I drove to a local grocery store to pick up a salad. The hotel is located in a downtown shopping area and there were a number of restaurants within half a mile.

My room rate included free breakfast. First I checked out the concierge lounge breakfast and found it to be appealing but limited. I went downstairs to the breakfast room and found the buffet. There were no other guests and only one arrived later. The omelet station was not staffed due to the lack of customers, but the waitress cheerfully offered to take my order back to the chef in the kitchen.

The entrance to the parking lot and exit to the street from the parking lot were somewhat tricky to find. The complimentary two-story indoor parking lot is beneath the hotel and the elevators allow direct access to guest floors from the parking lot. Although it appeared that a key card was needed to access the elevators from the garage late at night, I questioned the security of this arrangement (women traveling alone need to be cautious).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mullica Hill, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Was staying at this hotel for 2 nights. The first night we stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. The room was ok would have liked to have known the 2nd bedroom was a full bed not a queen . Would have also liked to have some information on dinning and if the Hotel had breakfast and the times the operated..
The next day the hotel was booked and we were put in a 1 bedroom with a pull out couch.
When we returned to the hotel at about 11PM we could not find any parking anywhere so we went to the front desk and asked where we were suppose to park our answer was "you can go across the street and park at the college because that was what the bridge was built for. Sorry I nor my daughter felt safe leaving our car or walking buy ourselves from Towson University to the hotel. When I told him no way he went back inside spoke to (security) a nice man came out and said to go to the garage and he would get me a spot. Well come to find out the employees park there cars in the garage. We also inquired about a VW Beetle which looks like it has a permanet spot (it was so dusty and people had written on it )next to the door in the garage come to find out
that is the managers car and when I mentioned it the employees laughed. Funny I thought Guest were there priority. I would think you would have you employees park across the street not your guest. Then we go up to the room to find our sheets were dirty, had holes in them the ones for the pull out couch were wet there were brown stains all over the mattress cover ,the pillows were dirty and the mattress looked dirty. The glasses were black and dirty in the bathroom so we called the service desk asked for some clean sheets . The girl was pleasant said they would be right up well 45 minutes have passed it is now 1:00AM very fustrated. My daughter used her Rewards points and paid a extra $100.00 for the room I would not recomend anyone staying there.

Room Tip: have nothing good to say
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Atlantic City, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were in MD for a Bodybuilding competition that was held at Goucher College. This was the host hotel for the event. The first night was great. We had a two bedroom suit it was clean and comfy. We needed to stay a second night and couldn’t keep the same room because we waited too long to decide to stay the night of the actual competition, which was Sat. Oct. 20. We were moved to a regular room which was understandable.

On Saturday when we were done at the show we drove back to the Marriott where we found NO parking in either lot. We were told to park across the street at Towson University and walk over.
No offence it was 12am at night and the hotel should be able to accommodate parking for the actual guests. Not to mention there were people tailgating (drinking and smoking) in their lot probably NOT staying at the hotel. Only gets worse....

We go to use the pull out couch since our other guests had the bed. There were brown stains all over the matress. That I find to be very disgusting.
We pulled the sheets out of the bag that go with the pull out bed and they were damp with black stains all over them. We called down to get more sheets and they didn't get delivered till an hour later. By this point it was 1am and we were gone since 9am in the morning for this show. We were extremely exhausted and just wanted to sleep.

I would like to mention that I have stayed at other Marriott’s and they were very nice and clean, but if we ever go there again we will be staying at the Sheraton down the street.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Was my first time staying here the rooms are huge and very clean breakfast buffet very good they make the waffles for you and serve you at your table coffee and juice also served staff very friendly wired and wireless internet available desk in living room very nice.will return when back in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This Marriott has the biggest rooms of any Marriott I've ever stayed in. I was told it was a college dorm renovated into a Marriott. I actually started off in a room on the 3rd floor, but requested a change because the wired Internet wasn't working and they moved me to the 5th floor where the room was even bigger. They are suites with 3 rooms and a bathroom. There are 3 TVs and a walk-in shower with all glass doors. The concierge lounge is big as is the fitness center. The people were very friendly and it's right on the campus of Towson Univ, which isn't the prettiest since its very urban with busy streets everywhere, but it's convienent. I gave the rooms a "5" because they're big, new, and the showers are ideal to me. I usually give marriott rooms a "4" but this hotel is a step above most marriotts.

• Stayed October 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

OMG the rooms are huge! More like apartments.
Bar staff were great, then we went to eat.
Steak, chicken or asparagus, were all the same color......black!
Most of our party went to bed hungry. Possibly the worst food I've had, no really, it was bad.
The chef came out to see us when all the plates were going back still full.
He asked how it was and was not ready when 8 of our group told him.
Almost felt bad for him.
Best bit, they still charged for all the meals,lol
This hotel could be great if they get a chef who can cook.
Conference facilities were also very good, and the buffet lunch was ok, maybe just caught the chef on an off day....a very off day

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Towson University Marriott Conference Hotel? Share your experiences!