“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Plus Towson Baltimore North Hotel & Suites

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Plus Towson Baltimore North Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Plus Towson Baltimore North Hotel & Suites
GreenLeadersSilver level
Newtown, Pennsylvania
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Based on recent TripAdvisor reviews, we were a bit skeptical about staying at the Best Western Plus, but several factors enticed us to take the risk: 1) the hotel's proximity to both the Baltimore Beltway (about 90 seconds) and to Goucher College (5 minutes by car), where we were visiting the next day; 2) the hotel's very competitive rates; and 3) the high TripAdvisor ranking among hotels in Towson.

My son and I arrived late—after 11 PM—but the front desk clerk was friendly and efficient, so we checked in quickly and painlessly. The room was clean and pleasant, and it appeared to have been recently renovated. The bedding was turned down and we found the pillows and mattresses to be comfortable. The bathroom came stocked with more than enough towels, a feature that similar hotels often skimp on.

I did have a couple of peeves about the room, which others might find either more or less bothersome than I did. First, the shower head was very high and difficult to adjust between standard flow and pulsating settings. [I am about average height; I expect others may have had a similar experience, particularly if similar bath fixtures are used throughout the hotel.] Second, the heating unit lacked a continuous fan setting. As a result, the fan cycled on and off frequently, making it difficult for me to fall asleep.

We are both sensitive to smoke, but despite concerns we had from reading earlier reviews, we did not experience any smoke-related problems, nor did we detect even a trace of tobacco odor in our room or in the hallway. [At check-in guests are required to sign a statement that if smoke is detected in a non-smoking room, the guest is liable for an additional $250 charge. I don't know if this is hotel policy due to earlier incidents such as those reported in previous reviews, or whether it reflects a local/state ordinance. Whatever the reason, if I were a smoker staying in a non-smoking room, having to sign that acknowledgment of liability would be more than enough incentive to keep me from lighting up in the room!]

Breakfast was OK. In addition to the typical cold fare, scrambled eggs and sausage were available. I also had my first encounter with an automated pancake maker: just push a button and one minute later, a pancake flops out of the side slot. The resulting pancake was a bit rubbery for my taste. [My inner child has always liked the do-it-yourself Belgian waffle makers that appear in many comparable hotels' breakfast buffets. Although they can be messy, the waffles can also be reasonably tasty. In contrast, the automated pancake maker doesn't seem quite ready for prime time.]

Checkout was pleasant and painless. The front desk had printed directions to the college, which was convenient, and the route was simple to follow.

Overall, our experience at the Best Western Plus in Towson was more consistent with the majority of positive reviews than with the most recent batch. Despite the minor irritations, our stay was an excellent value for the price and we would not hesitate to return when we are back in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

230 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

In past, I received a bottle of water and grain bar at check in. This did not happen on this occasion. The bed was extremely lumpy which disrupted my sleep. Otherwise, it was an enjoyable stay. -------

Westport, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband, daughter and I stayed in Towson for a college visit. Our room was very clean, with comfortable beds. We decided to stay in for dinner because of bad weather, and were quite pleased with the dinner we had at the Vietnamese restaurant on the premises.

Full breakfast was set out in the morning, including scrambled eggs and bacon.

All in all, very good value for the money and a good central location. Friendly, helpful staff.

howell
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I choose Best Western because I know what I am getting: a clean room, good bed, nice friendly service and breakfast. This BW was disappointing compared to others I have stayed in. The hallway smelled of smoke. The bathroom was dirty and had a big sharp crack in the molding. We booked the room for 3 of us, there were no extra towels and one teeeeeny tiny shampoo and conditioner (not enough for 1 let alone 3) There was mold under the soap dish, dirt on outlets, etc... The worst though was the old coffee filter/grinds left in the coffee pot and when I turned down the sheets, the sheets were obviously old, worn and THERE WAS A LONG BLACK HAIR in the bed.

The room is a good size with microwave, fridge and coffee maker. I would have enjoyed it more if the room was cleaned properly.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BridgetDely, Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Towson Baltimore North Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
We are truly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. It is our goal to have every guest feel welcome and at home when they are with us. The house keeping manager has spoken with our staff to insure that this does not happen again. I hope you will give us a chance to make it up to you on your next visit to Towson. Please feel free to reach out to me personally.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This was a place to stop at midnight for sleep then wake up the next morning to drive on. It was fine. There were two double beds. Each had a heavy cover/slip on top. But putting both heavy tops on the same bed I slept very soundly. Have been suprised at several hotels recently where there was no heavy cover so if you are used to sleeping under weighty, this can be a problem. Not here. The room was quite, the heater/AC worked, the curtains blocked the light, the free breakfast was good, the coffee was good. Not a bad place to stop.

Room Tip: As you approach the hotel from the freeway you drive past it and make a right. Do not make a right...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for stopping and staying with us! We are so glad that you were able to have a good night sleep during a long road trip. Thank you for taking the time to let others know about our hotel.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This place had good reviews and had a recent " complete renovation".. Yes, the drapes and pillows were new, the sink in the bathroom ( not the cabinet) was new but the furnishings were old, the room were dark and not well cleaned. The door didn't shut by itself and I had to throw my body at it to either open or close it. The shower diverter only worked partially. The desk lampshade had been smashed. There was only one washer and dryer for which there was a long line and no change left at reception. I had to spend a whole evening sitting in that area to get my turn.

I did complain about the door the first night. The very pleasant woman at the front desk said it must be a new problem but the door had clearly. Not been shutting for ages by the worn away areas.
She said it would be fixed the next day. It wasn' t as they needed to remove the door and door surround... The manager knew it was a problem in 6 rooms.

I did leave early and complained to the manager who comped me one night. Tis was satisfactory but I would never stay he again

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
BridgetDely, Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Towson Baltimore North Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for writing a review and letting us know where we need to make improvements. It is our goal that everyone who stays with us is comfortable and happy. I apologize for your inconveniences but am glad you were able to talk to a manager while you were still here.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My friend and I had a wonderful overnight stay. Lots of dining nearby, comfy room with microwave and frig, pleasant staff and a great breakfast. Location was perfect for going to downtown Baltimore following day.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to BEST WESTERN Plus Towson Baltimore North Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!