“Less than hospitable” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Troia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 136 Restaurants in Towson
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Washington Avenue
Bel Air, Maryland
“Less than hospitable”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We had an early dinner here in early January of 2013. Lobster bisque and ravioli were poor. Dark in color, lack of fresh lobster flavor, very strong, bitter nutmeg-ish flavor. Absent was the customary finish of a sherry or cognac. My wife and I failed to finish the bisque (very rare) and she ate only a few bites of the ravioli. I had the Linguine con Vongole alla Positano requesting they add shrimp which they did (4 16/20 for an additional $8.00 Reasonable I felt.) The linguini was good, clams fresh thoiugh gritty, the shrimp had not been properly deveined so there was a grittiness to them as well. Over all I liked my dish. The Maitre D said to my wife: "You didn't like your ravioli did you?" She replied No I did not. No apology, no offer of anything else, no adjustment nothing. The Hostess asked us on our way out (in front of a woman who appeared to be either an owner or manager) How was everything? to which I replied we did not enjoy the bisque or the ravioli and could not finish them they were so poor. Again, nothing. I am not a free-loader and understand margins in the restaurant business are hard to come by so I am not complaining we didn't get free food or something comp'd but when you ask how the food was and get a negative response you have to at least apologize. No one in this restaurant even acknowledged that sub-par food was unacceptable. For us we will not return and for the money ($73.00 for 2 soups, an appetizer and an entree, no liquor) I was really put off. Our waiter served soupe, served our meals,as he served the meal he refilled our drinks and we never saw him or anyone else until it was time to pay. Not my definition of hospitality.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

headingsouth
“Great food & ambiance but small portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Atmosphere is very romantic,even in the bar. It was happy hour so we ordered 7 different apps between 3 people due to the portions. The mussels were fantastic, the rest was good as well but portions were small. Not the worst thing in the world because they were so rich and came embellished with other ingredients. This is a place where you savor the sauces and sop up all of them with bread. We liked it but left hungry.

• Visited December 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
“Thanksgiving Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My wife and I decided to dine out for Thanksgiving partially due to the fact that our kitchen is under construction. I had never been to Cafe Troia in Towson but expected a delicious meal based on the internet menu. I was not disappointed. We shared salad and an appetizer, thinly sliced beef (I can't remember the name) was fantastic. I had Veal Saltibucco (sorry, really butchering the names and will continue) and my wife Osobocca kind of a stewed meat. Wow! We were licking the plates by the time we finished. We had a nice bottle of Shiraz from Borossa Valley, and a desert sampler. Service was comparable to any fine dining restaurant in the Baltimore area (and there are a ton of them). Definitely going back for more... Nice and warm looking bar too.

• Visited November 2012
Baltimore, MD
“Great food,”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Great food, great service, fresh, great value. The restaurant is very nice however my wife and I also enjoy eating in the bar they have

Visited October 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best restaurant in Towson”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I am not a big fan of Italian, but this is the hand-down best restaurant in Towson. Great ambience, outdoors seating is nice, indoor one less. Service is great, and the food! Try the grilled calamari!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Cafe Troia? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Cafe Troia, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.