“Amazing soup at unbelievable prices” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Description: Is listed on yelp and urban spoon
Description: Is listed on yelp and urban spoon
Manchester, Maryland, United States
“Amazing soup at unbelievable prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is a very good restaurant for Pho (beef noodle soup). The only thing on the menu besides the soup that I've ever eaten is the summer rolls. The summer rolls are outstanding. It's like a salad inside a spring roll that doesn't get fried. All fresh and pretty healthy. The beef noodle soup is amazing. If you never tried Pho give this place a try. There is almost no way to describe the amazing flavors that converge in a bowl of Pho. And you get to tweak that flavor with limes, jalapenos, basil, parsley, and sauces. It will really make you feel great especially on a cold day. I have been to this particular restaurant and it's sister restaurant in Columbia 50+ times. It is much nicer and cleaner than your standard urban Pho restaurant. And at $8 for a massive bowl of soup, it is one of the best deals in town. Two people can easily leave with an $18 bill. The only issue that Americans might see is the perception of slow service once you place your order. I personally believe this is a cultural "do not disturb" that follow. They do not come to your table a lot after they deliver your food. I think Americans are simply accustomed to a visit every 5-6 minutes from a waiter asking "is everything alright?"

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent pho and bun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This is a great restaurant when you know what to order. I travel intensively in Vietnam every year and their pho is very good, their bun thit nuong is excellent. Funny that the waiters don't unerstand when you order the dishes in Vietnamese. But the owner is Vietnamese. Friendly, good and cheap. Great value.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Maryland
“Good noodle place in the heart of towson”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This was my second visit. My first time we tried a variety of dishes, some hits, and one miss. This meal was by myself, so I can only rate 2 items.

1) Summer rolls.- I love summer rolls because you get the flavor without the fried food. The inside of these rolls (I ordred the pork summer rolls) was amazing. The roasted pork had been bbq'ed, and the flavor stood up to the peanut sauce. The noodles inside were well cooked, and the veggies tasted very fresh. BUT - and the reason I didnt give Pho Dat a 5 star...........the rice paper was quite gummy, and hard to chew. Taking a bite required a good deal of effort, and when the rice paper did snap, it showered the table with the veggies.

2) Noodle Soup - This time I chose the chicken noodle broth instead of the traditional Pho broth. I hesitated, because I've had very mediocre chicken based broths at other places, but I wanted to try something different. This was a winner! Might have been the most flavorable chicken based broth I ever had. The house made won-tons were not quite as good as I have had before, but were flavorable. The pork inside the soup stood up to the other flavors, was tender and lean.

Given the quality and taste of the pork, on my next visit I'll stick to pork dishes, skip the summer rolls and try a different starter.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great pho, great value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

One of my favorite places to go! They have the best pho around! If you haven't had pho, you need to try it! Its meat with rice noodles in a delicious broth served with limes, jalapeños, basil, cilantro, bean sprouts, siracha, and a plum sauce. Their plum sauce is homemade and is amazing! My husband and I both order the same pho and after adding all the extras, our pho tastes nothing alike. A huge bowl of pho with extra noodles is only $7.00!!
My children have tried the black pepper chicken and the combination fried rice and both were delicious! The menu is fairly large and we have yet to find anything we dislike.
For the food & the value, I would highly recommend Pho Dat Thanh!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Towson, Maryland
“Great noodles! Friendly staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My wife and I always go opposite ends of the spice scale. I had the hottest dish they serve, excellent. She had the mildest, also excellent. We tend to try each other's dishes just to compare. Great value for the food and even their drink prices are reasonable. If you haven't tried them, give it a go.

Visited April 2012