“Not a great bang for your buck” 3 of 5 stars

Bulih Beach Bungalows
Amed, Abang, Bali 80852, Indonesia   |
Ranked #19 of 39 Amed B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“Not a great bang for your buck”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I decided to stay here only because of the view overlooking the ocean from the 2nd floor of one of the houses and only after haggling a considerable discount from the initial price.
The room is ok at best. Clean and large enough with a double bed, but that's it. No wardrobe or clothes hook of any kind. I had to use my backpack for that purpose. Doors squeak like hell, every time I went out or to the bathroom, I let all the neighbourhood know that. The water usually runs about a couple of minutes and then stops, if you are unlucky to be in the middle of having a shower, you're screwed.
Breakfast is average, you get a pancake and a cup of tea/coffee (Flashback: In Ubud for 10$/night I was having a sandwich/pancake, a fruit plate and unlimited tea/coffee as on my table on the terrace there was a thermos with hot water and tea/coffee/sugar all the time!).
WiFi exist in the form of a ghost, you can find it only sometimes (not every day), only near the breakfast/tables area and only until 10 am, then it stops working.
Sleeping here is problematic due to roosters just under the fence, who tend to shout all the day (and night, yes) and also someone sawing and chopping wood in the morning. I literally could not sleep and had to use earplugs every day. Bed is soft though and has a mosquito net.
The beach is 20 meters away but rocky and hardly usable as a normal beach for swimming/beach activities.
Service is ok, staff can help you with most of your necessities and are generally friendly. They change sheets and towels every two days. And they don't force you to pay by day. However be careful. At first the elderly lady tried to charge me for 8 night (as days), though I was staying 7. And then she decided to keep silent about 10% extra charge (for tax or whatever), that I only learned about when I had to actually pay. The only time during my journey that I saw this.
Giving 3 stars for the money I paid (remember, I haggled hard). But for the price on booking sites you'd be better off in many other places.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

10 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Gallarate, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed at bulih for 4 nights with my partner, we moved there after one night spent in another bungalow in Amed. We stayed in a room upstairs. The view was stunning, overlooking the beach and mt.agung's cone on the lefthand side. The room was nice and clean, with an open air bathroom decorated with tiny stones. The room had no ac but there was no need thanks to the breeze coming from the sea. The staff could speak english. Komang is a very nice and peculiar lady, quick-witted and helpful. Breakfast was included in the price. Really a good value for money. I heartly recommend it.

Room Tip: Room upstairs has beautiful view and more privacy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Bulih is located close to Amed village on a long stretch of beach with views directly up Mount Agung. There are fishermen boats lining the beach, local kids not interested in selling you anything and locals playing beach soccer in the evenings. The beach there has a bit of rubbish but is still much cleaner than seminyak or kuta. The water was crystal clear however.

We went up the coast a bit more and found resorts with secluded small coves and pools for only a few more dollars but those lacked the real-life feel of Bulih.

Not for the resort addicted!

• Stayed June 2013
perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed at Bulih in March 2013 for sometime on my own and was then joined by a friend. I had a very different experience from WHDavies who reviewed on 4 March 2013.
I Komang, Sonia and and the other staff went out of their way to make the stay memorable and attend to any requests made. Activities were offered occasionally but not ever in an intrusive manner. Ne Komang will teach you how to cook if you want and you get to eat it after...Ne Komang and Ketut took the time out to teach me Bahasa Indonesia and Balinese language, younger I Komang took me to the temple for Galungan. I found everyone to be very generous with their time. The younger boys were extremely helpful and little darling Komang I won't ever forget 'Jalan..Jalan..Jalan',,Komang? the massage lady is worth every dollar...thank you everyone and ting-ting Wayan! :)
The bungalows were very beautiful and well-maintained. I think the best room is the one that looks down over the top of the bale. From this room you get a clear view of Mt. Agung, the beach directly in front and the mountains behind the property through massive windows and large verandah that are all well shaded by bamboo blinds. This particular room did not have an air-conditioner but it wasn't missed being so close to the beach. There was a large day bed and hammock on the verandah. The bathroom is a treat and the stonework in the buildings is amazing.
Bulih doesn't have a pool but the beach is right out front and the water is calm. I didn't meet any hawkers.. I would definitely recommend this hotel to other travellers.

Room Tip: If you are happy with a fan cooled room ask for the room upstairs
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We spend 5 days there and didn't want to leave. The setting is just perfect for a quite relaxing holiday, There are only 4 bungalows right on the beach. All of them have nice terrace up front. The rooms are large with the big bathroom. The owner was very helpful, spoke English and did everything for us to make our time there comfortable. I would definitely come back to this place. It is only a few steps from the ocean and nice view of the mountain. We really enjoyed our stay there - home away from home...

Room Tip: The best room is upstairs with the perfect view of the ocean and the mountain. If someone prefer to...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nusa Lembongan, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We walked in here and had a very nice bungalow at a good off-season price.

The setting is very nice, and it was a relaxing place to stay.

As with all of Amed, you do need to rent a scooter to get around, but there were a few restaurants close by, so you could survive without one.

It really helped that there was an Austrian lady who is a full time resident, she helped us out a lot, when the owner wasn't around (which was most of the time).

My only complaint would be that whenever the owner opened his mouth the objective was to extract more money from us. We were also annoyed by hawkers that he’d obviously tipped off we were in town. But, having said that, this part of Bali seemed particularly bad for that.

At the right price it is a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: All looked good.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bulih Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!