“Bali at its very best.” 5 of 5 stars

Blue Moon Villas
Selang Beach, Amed, Abang, Bali, Indonesia   |
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Amed
Halibut Cove, Alaska
“Bali at its very best.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Even the table linens are charming: this is a place that pays attention to the details. So many places on Bali have potential, but miss dramatically on the fine points. It is lovely to find one place that does it all right. The location is simply divine, perched on a hillside that catches the ocean breezes and overlooks the fleet of colorful junkung (traditional fishing boats) clustered on the beach below. The hills rise steeply behind the villas, changing from bright green after the rainy season to a chalky brown/beige when the rains have left the island. The rooms are completely charming, the baths delightful, and the pools inviting. The staff is wonderfully gracious and able to address every visitor's unique whim or fancy. I first visited in 2007 and am delighted to find the same feel and competency despite significant growth. Cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: Cannot go wrong here.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

we stayed in the seaview penthouse suite which i highly recommend spending a little extra for as it has magnificent panoramic views over the sea with two huge reclining settles. The decor was gorgeous - shower outdoors and made of pebbles and everything in the room was handcarved or crafted - amazing taste! The staff were also wonderful and so friendly. I would highly recommend this hotel to anybody!

Room Tip: go for the penthouse suite or one of the ones down with the private pool as the other main pool gets...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

I just got back from an incredible two-night break at Blue Moon Villas, staying in a beautiful suite right opposite that stunning infinity pool. This place has to have the best sea view and pool area in Amed! Well, it's hard not to get a panoramic view of the ocean in Amed really, but we spent a lot of time in the gorgeous garden here, drinking our coffees and eating the yummy chocolate cake with ice-cream. Don't miss it!

The staff at Blue Moon Villas are so lovely, they really made our time extra special and we were always on hand to ask if we needed anything. I got a bit of stuffed ear after one of my dives and was given some ear drops to help clear it, which I really appreciated. Big thanks to Komang John, Ni Luh, Wayan, Nengah, Putra and Komang Alit. They run a very tight ship!

The AC in the room was great and the huge bed was very comfy, made it very easy to sleep. My friend even fell asleep in the window seat one night, as it was also really soft! Love the outdoor shower in the bathroom, powerful and always hot... but take some conditioner if you're swimming/snorkelling, as there's only shampoo and shower gel on offer here.

There's no TV or DVD so take a good book or three (or borrow some from the shelves in the restaurant) and prepare to cut yourself off from the world on a sunlounger. Enjoy it. There is WIFI by the pool and in the restaurant if you need it, which we found to be the fastest in all of Amed (we did try a few places that just refused to work) so if you really can't be away from your computer or phone, this is the place for you.

We read a few bad things about the food at Blue Moon but we found it to be great! I ordered the special tuna salad twice and both times it was fresh and delicious. The breakfast was the usual eggs, toast, bacon and fruit, but it was really filling and it's the only place I've been to in Bali that actually serves mangosteen and rambutan as part of the fruit plate - great if you're on holiday and have been meaning to sample the local fruits. My friend asked for a bowl of mango and nothing else, and they were very accommodating!

We fell in love with Amed. It was far less rainy than Ubud for a start (can't be helped, it's monsoon season!) We did some diving with Murray and Niko from Baliku Dive Resort up the road - highly recommended! Ask Blue Moon to call them for you and they'll drive down and pick you up, no problem. Shipwrecks were both great and they even filmed a video for us at the Japanese wreck site.

All in all, fabulous place, will definitely be going back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Jakarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed in Blue Moon Villa from the end of December 2011 to the first week of Jan 2011 (total 8 nights) in Blue Ocean Villa. The pool is just right in front of the Blue Ocean Villa, so it was kind of a private pool for us. Service is really good, all the staff are very friendly and helpful. They arranged car pick up to restaurants and spa where we would like to go to. Putra, one of the staff kindly brought us suckling pig and we had it heated for our last dinner with 'urab' and sambal matah from the kitchen. Breakfast is good, it's not too heavy. I always had special request to make the fried rice or the fried noodle as spicy as I wanted it to be.
The beach is only 2 minutes walk. Very nice and quiet. Snorkeling gear is available. Big thanks to Komang John and his staff Ni Luh, Wayan, Nengah, Putra, Komang Alit and others. They are very nice people!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

I stayed here with a friend in the low season and had an amazing time. The rooms were simple, airy and clean and we had an amazing view of the pool and beyond to the ocean and sunrise - heavenly. The staff were very attentive, particularly the chef, who proudly cooked us some of the most delicious food we had in our time in Bali. A haven!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

After spending much time with the likes of Sanur,Kuta,Legian .I decided to take on a more isolated,peaceful and quaint area for our Bali holiday in June 2010.I guess I needed a break from the predictable sightseeings and the no fancy restos at that time and my main intention with my small family is just pure Chillax...chill and relax..We did our geeky research here on Tripadvisor and we found Amed. Now the school term has ended,I found time took a while to pen this down, it might be a span of a few months can actually,but then this is the best remembrance i have captured about the Blue Moon Villas.

this property is perched on top of a hill …and its quite close to the edge of the Island ..and if you can imagine…a few meters.... the BIG BLUE OCEAN...the view in my limited english,...is absolutely stunning..i just cannot explain it to you....i remember waking up each morning greeting the sea ...in such a manner where i can really see the whole extend of the sea....i have done some beachfront holidays but this one is different...if youre a photographer you will love this place ..bring your wide lenses...you will be amazed.....the way the sun breaks out of the horizon…I told myself any woman would marry me with this kind of spectacular view.The spectrum of light when it marries the horizon..oh my word…insane..beautifull…… Anyways..this is truly a rural..peaceful place,something like koh phangan before it was koh phangan... It reminds me of Amalfi...Depending where your room is , i went for the Blue Paradise garden suite...And theres this rustic kampung charm that surrounds it.The people around you are as Balinese as they can be…infact this is one of the remaining Balinese villages…slow touched but largely untouched by commercial tourism. theyre the more refined villagers...,friendly without assuming…really nice people…down to earth…and quite conservative too…i am not sure about westerners ,but I’m Asian and my Asian wife was wearing shorts as we're out to the beach.....and me understanding Indonesian...i suppose its something theyre not comfortable with..local girls hardly wear shorts in Amed.thats besides the point.. still its all BEAUTIFUL here… heheheh

Infinity pool is amazing... look at my pictures k…

Food:
Food was alright. The inhouse resto has a wide menu and the food is average.it is good.but i have tasted better around bali... you can rent a bike to get food from other places..but there isnt a huge selection to begin with...the roads are rather hilly...if ur on a bicycle..and youre hungry i suggest that you just have a meal at the in house restaurant...

Wifi:
If youre reading this, i am sure wifi is your main concerned.if not for the fear of having a term vacation before the workyear starts again, you would have sat at home on the computer..Just like me ...lol...anyway, the internet here is slightly terrible... theres wifi but theres no internet.. but dont let tech addiction get in the way of your holiday.Intermittent breakdown on the wifi signal.. no wifi in the rooms ,only in cafe

Point to note: Amed is rural area. Not much development here...but that was what attracted me here..if the intend is to chillax then this is the place to be...Before i forget theres a beach near to the premise...bring ur snorkeling gear…there is something amazing about that site.. swim about 200m …something is waiting there..its beautiful…anyways its close to nature..no mosquitoes but be prepared for some creepy crawlies in the bathroom

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

Surprisingly for Bali there was no warm welcome - in fact including our driver we were all greeted with disdain.
Our Blue Angel Oceanfront Suite was across the busy road from the main resort. I think there were three suites - ours was on the far right. As far as accomodation goes it was just ok - on a par with an average motel room in Australia lacking any quality. What the Blue Angel suites offer though is a fantastic view - but that’s it. There is a distinct lack of privacy between the adjoining Villa’s terrace - it was most disconcerting to plonk myself down on the daybed on the terrace early in the morning to look up into the eyes of my next door neighbor on his daybed watching me, and if the curtains weren’t drawn he could see right into our bedroom. Note also that the pool is right in front of the other two Villas ( not ours) which as I said is to the far right and there was a feeling that we were intruding to use the pool and surrounding area.
The other downside to the Blue Angel is that to get to the beach you have to walk down the road a bit and then down some steep steps - whilst I was aware of this I hadn’t considered that it is a very hot scramble back up ...
After having a few meals in the restaurant ( and they were very good) it seems that one needs to be a regular at the Blue Angel to receive friendly service.
For the above reasons we cut our stay short - receiving a very chilly checkout indeed ....

Room Tip: For a couple who weren’t fussed too about the beach for a lovely stay I would recommend staying in e...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Blue Moon Villas? Share your experiences!