“an oasis of peace” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Katana Villa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amed
Katana Villa
Katana 69 | Bunutan, Amed, Abang, Bali 80852, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 49 Specialty lodging in Amed
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“an oasis of peace”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

We stayed for a week at Katana Villa and found it was a wonderful island of respite. The villas are each full of artistic whimsical features that added to the joy of being there and the clean and well maintained rooms to the feeling of a luxurious vacation. The staff was so helpful and were able to take care of our crawling toddling baby while we ate breakfast. Our group included a young couple with a baby and two sets of grandparents, so we each had different needs. The staff prepared special meals for the baby and we ordered in from local restaurants at times. The mopeds were fun and handy to get to snorkel sites and to shop and go to restaurants. The swimming pool a great place to relax in the afternoon.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
LeslieCarleton, Owner at Katana Villa, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
It was such a joy to have your family with us. And now we have an elevated baby bed! Hopefully it will continue to be of good use! As for the staff at Katana Villa; they are simply the best!

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
martinez, california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed a week at Katana while diving and exploring the area and loved it. The staff were wonderful and went out of their way to provide the little extras that made our stay even more enjoyable. The motorscooters were super handy and a great way to get around town. Staying in Amed was so much nicer that our initial stop in Nusa Dua, the area is very relaxed and unpretentious. Good restuarants are a short walk or ride away and the diving and snorkeling in the area was superb. For divers one of the nicest features of Katana is the massage gazebo where you can get a post-dive massage in privacy. The other reviewers have summarized this place well, it is unlike any other and a perfect place to spend a relaxing vacation.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Booking Katana ~

The wonderful owner of Katana (Leslie) was an absolute pleasure to deal with. Prompt warm emails returned , to work out our dates. Nothing was too much hassle. And after watching a "YouTube" tour of the villa, that Leslie takes you thru , it just wets you appetite , to want to stay there ! :)

Drove from SEMINYAK ~

Up to AMED. Great drive , stops on the way. Great scenery. Good photos taken.
Arrived AMED. Found Katana (up its steep drive way) tuck away , in a peaceful location.

Villa Decor ~

If you are wanting state of the art, clean lines , stainless steel , sterile , "cookie-cut" Villa , book somewhere else.!!!!!
"Katana" is wild ! Crazy , wonderfully mad, electric , funky, unique decor ! I adored it.Full of color, oranges, vermilion reds, turquoise,purples, yellows ! Insane. It has personality , its a blend of miss matched furniture & pieces collected along the way, by Leslie. And it all just marries togehter so well , as if it has been there forever ! It was like been on the of a set Tarzan & Jane movie. Its total fantasy. My kids loved it , as I did. Unique, only to, what is the magic of Katana.
But , all your 5 star comforts have not been forgotten. Big screen TVs, King comfy beds, cool linens, throw rugs (plenty), stunning, chic, luxury sofa (in the family suite ) my kids chilled out there watching DVDs.
Water pressure great in all showers, Hot water , plenty,
Staff ~
What do I say here !???~ Wayan we miss you already. Dear sweet , patient Wayan.
Special man. Loved having him quietly go about his jobs/duties at the villa. He was a pleasure to see every morning. Smiley face ,ready to 5 star serve our breakfast. Along with Made, Iloh,Eka.
And villa manageress , the charming, magnetic Made S., & her daughter Wenni. The whole crew there are , beyond words, wonderful.

The POOL~

OMG! It was like diving into a fresh mountain stream every morning. To start other day in paradise, roll out of bed & dive , naked ,into that pool . How I miss it!!!. With its quirky grotto, waterfall & slide !
Surrounded with water fountains & water sounds everywhere.

How I am missing my late nite Bintang, from the balcony of the mysterious Master Suite.
Looking out to sea where pretty diamonds danced on the ocean, underneath a dreamy, milky Bali moon.

To all at "Katana" & beautiful Leslie, my family wish you good Bali luck. Till we return . A big TerimaKash & lots of hugs :)

Maryanne & family (Australia)

Room Tip: Awesome bed in Master Suite
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
LeslieCarleton, Owner at Katana Villa, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Hi M, We loved reading your review. It is always a joy to read everyone's feelings during their time at Katana Villa. I wish I was there to meet you in person, although I must say that I do feel I know you well enough by now, as you express yourself very well in writing! Everyone speaks as highly of you as you do of them. It was a joy to have you and your kids with us! We look forward to your return, but next time I want to plan it (if we can) when I'm there also. I would love nothing more than to sit on that balcony with you, drinking a cold bintang and enjoying the beautiful ocean view! Cheers! L
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

As soon as we arrived at the front entrance of the Katana Villa we knew it was "PARADISE" no other words to describe it. Best vacation yet!! My husband, my son & daughter & I spent one week there and it was great although we wished we could have stayed longer!! We were welcomed with warm friendly smiles as well as Lei's made from fresh smelling Frangipanis placed around our necks. The Katana was so spacious and it was all ours ;) far better than some hotels and villas we have stayed at. The decor was so balinese and beautiful & my kids loved the pool & the grotto. Made, Wayan and the rest of the staff were outstanding and so friendly and made you feel so comfortable and at home :) Waenis Restaurant was our very favourite place to eat and it was great because they would deliver to the Katana for you if you did not feel like dining out. Made was wonderful and drove us wherever we wanted to go in Bali even if it was a couple of hours away! :) Thank-you Made, Wayan & all who made our holiday at the Katana a very memorable one! And special thanks to Leslie for all her help in booking our holiday at her lovely villa! Missing everyone and cannot wait to return to the Katana Villa!!!!! And must not forget Geisha & Shuto! :)
Bob, Renee, Jarrad & Jenna Forsyth <3

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
LeslieCarleton, Owner at Katana Villa, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
Hi Renee & family, Thank you for the nice review! Our entire staff truly enjoyed your time at the Villa, and we just got the email that you wanted to come this month with your family again, but we are unfortunately already booked for that time. We are really sad to miss you this time around!! Please remember to reserve with us 4-6 months in advance - especially for high season.
Wishing you all the best! Cheers!
Shenzhen, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

My wife, our young twins and I spent the month of July at Katana Villas and loved every moment of it.

The property has three eclectic bungalows that surround a pool with a water slide and grotto. The master bedroom is above the open-air living room, kitchen and dining room, and faces the rising sun over the Bali Sea.

Two separate bungalows provide bed space for six other guests and offer privacy to friends and family. Each of the bungalows is decorated with interesting art, and one has an amazing insect mosaic floor.

The property also comes with a bale for massages, meditating or an out-of-sun spot for reading and an afternoon nap. A fully stocked gym is there just in case you don't get enough exercise hiking, snorkeling and walking on the beach. Palm trees, banana trees, bougainvillea and plumeria provide fresh fruit, color and tropical fragrances. Fountain ponds with Koi and turtles were a huge hit with our girls who enjoyed feeding them every morning.

Katana Villas’ helpful staff makes your stay even more enjoyable. Wayan, his wife Iluh, and the rest of the staff prepare tasty breakfasts and make your stay comfortable and enjoyable. They had an intuitive sense of how active or laid back we wanted to be on a daily basis. They helped us purchase local mobile SIM cards, change money, rent a car, book tickets on a fast boat to Lombok and find our way around Ubud, Amed, and other parts of East Bali. We enjoyed Wayan’s homemade mud and sea salt scrub made with holy water from his village’s temple and visited their family’s home temple during the Gulungan and Kuningan festivals – a heartwarming, once-in-a-lifetime experience.

We enjoyed the calmness of Bunutan, which is far away from the hustle and bustle of Ubud, Kuta and Denpasar. If you have not been to Bali and want to be in the mix of it, this is not the place for you as it is a three-hour drive to Ubud or Denpasar. However, you want to relax and take in the natural surroundings of a lesser-developed part of Bali, then Katana Villas is an excellent choice.

There are several nice restaurants in Amed, but few shops. Sails’ Fish in Banana Leaf with Balinese Sauce is fantastic; it’s Bon Appetit cover-worthy good. The Grill does just that and grills all things meat, foul and seafood. Blue Moon has great local dishes and a wonderful ocean view. Waeni’s Sunset View Restaurant has a conversation-stopping view of the sunset as it sinks behind the towering Gunung Agung volcano.

Black Sand Beach, just down the road, has some of the best snorkeling we’ve ever experienced. There are more species of hard and soft coral than you could count or identify, and thousands upon thousands of fish. The Pondok Café at the far eastern end of the beach serves tasty food you can enjoy with the sea salt on your skin and sand in your hair. Sunset rides in traditional outriggers are easy to arrange from any of the beaches that line the Amed coast.

The only downside to Katana Villas is when you realize you can't live there forever. It’s beautiful, comfortable and a real gem. Stay here if you want unwind and enjoy a wonderful, private property with warm-hearted staff.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
LeslieCarleton, Owner at Katana Villa, responded to this review, August 30, 2011
Thank you for the lovely review! After being there for an entire one month, this means a lot! It was really a pleasure for all of us to have you for so long, in fact you were the first family we had for a full month. Everyone was sad to see you go. Having your darling twins there was a true highlight for my entire staff…and now after sharing a month together the Katana staff feels like you are great friends, and that is part of what gives me so much joy in doing this, as it opens their world and brings them so much happiness to cater to wonderful people from around the world like your family. I am happy to have been able to share with you the charm of Katana Villa, my endearing staff, and the villages of Bunutan and Amed. We hope to see you again one day!
Middelie, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

After reading the other reviews I thought I knew what to expect. wrong. It's better than I could have imagined. The pool , the boys loved it. There is a 5 metre jump, a slide into the water and a cave. The main house has everything, is next to the pool. The view from the balcony is great. The gym is simple but has everything. There is wifi that is working, not always in indonesia.
The service you get, is what you ask. If you ask anything to Wayan , the housekeeper , he will get it for you. He, his wife, Milu and ekka Milu are so nice.
You must know the compound is not at the beach but on a steep hill. We didn't miss the beach for what we got in return.
I am very greatful to Leslie , the owner, that she let us stay in this paradise, because if I would have such a place I would stay there forever.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
LeslieCarleton, Owner at Katana Villa, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
It was a pleasure for us to have you. Wayan and the staff really enjoyed your stay! At first I did not know who you were in this review because we had another family for the entire month of July... then I figured out exactly who you were when you mentioned the high jump at the pool (LOL!). You are the lovely family that arrived Aug 1st, right? I send you all my best wishes and look forward to your next stay!
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Its the second home for me)Im very happy that i had a chance to visit this paradise. Its real and native Bali with real and friendly staff. Luxury bedrooms-bungalow, luxury pool, luxury kitchen and bar...We had been here 2011, february, 6 person. And all our company can tell you 1 think - is you have never been in Villa Katana, you have never been in Paradise, you have never been in native BAli.
Thanx Big Boss $-))) Leslie - she very kind and hospitality master. Thanx you - that you that in your home we felt ourselves like in our home)))))
Nastia, Russia (very-very far from this place)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Hi guys, it is great to read that you think of Katana Villa as your second home. This is exactly what we want our guests to feel! I also can't thank you enough for including these fabulous photos of your stay!! It is great and to share with others. You are our first Russian guests! I hope you will be the first group of many from your fabulous country! My staff really enjoyed having all of you thee and our emails have been a delight! Cheers!

Been to Katana Villa? Share your experiences!