“heart warming experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 42 Amed B&B and Inns
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
“heart warming experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

The pleasant experience of GGS accumulate since the very early stage when i first made my reservation.
Besides the beautiful place, clean_spacious room, and nice staffs, I immediately felt like home when Lisa greeted us with her cheery voice and anthusiasm. Lisa and David are such lovely hosts, they were very helpful and flexible in accomodating my "progressive" arrangements.

What I love the most from GGS is: it feels like we were staying at a friend's place rather than in a hotel. Their breakfast bungalow and the open air seating area in front of the diving center literally functions as the living area where we had pleasant chats with everybody.

Another high light is their dive center: Adventure Divers. It is the real good deal without any hustle and bustle. David is an excellent dive master + accompanied by professional dive guides, well maintained equipments and programs (with small group) resulting very enjoyable diving experience. I had an unforgetable and beautiful night dive at the Liberty Wreck.

Thank you GGS for the contribution in creating a fun holiday!
Looking forward to be back again.

Sari - Jakarta

Room Tip: Word of mouth recommendation from friends that share similar travel style with you is always the bes...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Jakarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at GGS for 2 nights. Lisa and David offer the most hospitable service ever. Even I don't dive, but I spend my time, relaxing just like at home..The room is big and spotless, even though no air condition, but the fan helps you a lot during the hot day. Bathroom is also clean with ample room to fit in 10 people (hahaha...). Since GGS is a small guesthouse, more likely you will make friends with other guests, spend time together and etch a beautiful memory..

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Immediately on arrival the welcome extended by the owners was warm and open. The rooms are spotless and spacious, and breakfast in the open dining area was delicious. Liselotte is ready to help with any request, with a genuine warmth and a great sense of fun. David runs the diving and his extensive experience shows - his quiet professionalism combines with a relaxed manner that would make any beginner immediately confident. I would send my daughter here to learn to dive!
The location is central to Amed and the beach is just across the road. Excellent snorkelling is right off that beach. Amed's best restaurants are a short stroll along the road. A wonderful place to holiday and dive!

Room Tip: The rooms away from the road are quieter
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

I loved my time here, and my only regret is that I couldn't stay for longer.
Initially I had only intended to go to Amed for 3 nights and two days to do a couple of fun dives, and try and persuade my mam to rediscover diving after a 24 year break. However, I immediately felt at ease in Amed, and my mam and I were treated like royalty by David and Lisa - nothing was too much trouble; the staff were so friendly and attentive. So after a brief jaunt to Legian, I went straight back to Amed and extended my stay for a further 5 nights.

The bungalows are immaculately clean, have a wonderful traditional feel, and are amazing value for money, especially when a good hearty breakfast is included in the rate. The little garden is beautifully kept, and being around the dive shop with other like minded people, both divers and non divers, was fantastic!

Lisa and David really made me feel at home, as they seem to do with all the guests, and it was so sad to leave. They offer such a relaxed and personal experience, and really take time to get to know their guests.

The dive shop, managed by David, is fantastically run, offering a variety of fantastic dives in the local area. Each site is unique and provides a variety of conditions and environments that can be appreciated by (or challenge) divers of all abilities. David is and excellent instructor and makes you feel confident and at ease in the water. He even managed to get my mam in ther water and diving, and she was adamant she was not going to do it. She ended up having one of the best experiences of her life. I did 12 dives in Amed, including my Advanced Adventurer course, and if I had the money I would have done many many more!

I can't rate my stay here highly enough, and as soon as I can afford to return, I will!

I imagine in 10 years time Amed will be overrun with tourists, instead of being the little peice of paradise it is now. Get here now while it's still a highly prized secret, and make sure you stay at Geria Giri Shanti!

• Stayed May 2012
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed five nights at Geria Giri Shanti. We had a wonderful time there. The new owners, Liese and David, are wonderful hosts. Liese has an impressive background in the hotel industry, which shows, and David runs the Dive Shop in the smoothest manner. Giri Shanti's location is very good, near the village of Amed, just off Jemeluk Beach and some very good snorkeling and diving. Our bungalow was squeaky clean; we had fresh towels and sheets each day, and the garden surrounding the bungalows was exquisite. Kamong's snorkel equipment rental was very reasonable - cheaper than anyone else's I found. A nice breakfast accompanied the room, which was a very good rate, given the location of the bungalows and how attractive they are. The open air bathroom has been mentioned elsewhere - I adored it.
all in all, other places just haven't measured up. Recommended without reservation.

Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

First we only wanted to go diving with David at adventure divers amed, but his wife Lisa was so levely and friendly that we decided to move to their homestay.
The rooms are very clean, the bathroom is open air, their stuff is very helpfull and Lisa has a lot to tell about her experiences in Hotel business.

Thank you Lisa and David for the two days at your new home!!!
We´ll come back!!!

Eike and Alex from Germany!

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

It's a brilliant place and great value besides. Our shoulder season rate of 15 euros included breakfast (banana pancakes or eggs and toast, plus a fruit plate and tea or coffee) and slow but usable wifi. Even in high season the rate is still only 17 euros. Our room was spacious and genuinely attractive. The bed was big and comfortable, with a mosuito net if you needed it (we never did). The spotless attached bathroom had one corner open to the sky with a big potted fern drinking in the sunlight. Frangipani flowers fell into the bathroom daily.

Speaking of daily, the room was cleaned, the bed remade and fresh towels (good quality IKEA towels) provided each day without our having to request this service.

The bungalows are across the road from the beach; there can be some traffic noise during the day, but at night it was never a problem.

The owners, Liselotte and David, have only been running the place for a few weeks, but they're throughly on top of it. Liselotte is totally sparkling and fun and infinitely helpful. On our first full day, she learned I preferred my coffee with sweetened condensed so the next day, on a grocery run to Kuta, she picked some up for me. We didn't dive (we're snorkelers) but David, who runs the dive operation struck as infinitely patient, encouraging, helpful and likable.

The staff were uniformly friendly, cheerful and helpful. I've got to especially mention Komang, the housekeeping manager; he's a delight. He and his wife also own the outstanding Warung Enak cafe, down the road a bit. We ate most meals there.

Really, this is just about as good as budget loding gets. There are only five rooms, so definitely book ahead to avoid disappointment.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Geria Giri Shanti Bungalows? Share your experiences!