“Nice view from the ocean front villas” 3 of 5 stars

Double One Villas
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jln. Raya Bunutan, Amed, Abang, Bali 80852, Indonesia   |
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Amed
michigan
“Nice view from the ocean front villas”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This group of villas is built into a hillside, with the price getting higher as you get closer to the beach. It was worth it to us, to have a nice view. The villas have nice big porches with chairs. There is an outdoor restaurant and a small pool by the waterfront. The beach is not really someplace to go swimming--rocky and very small. The restuarant was ok--but the servers were very friendly. We had a big downpour at night and the one place the roof leaked was right over my suitcase-don't put your suitcase on the couch in the villa closest to the water! The reason I liked this place was because we had airconditioning, but there was a vent all along the roofline, so we could hear the ocean waves all night!

Room Tip: Pay for the rooms closer to the ocean
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Double One Villas was a peaceful, pretty refuge after the busyness of Ubud. My room was spacious, well furnished and clean. The covered porch was a great place to sit and enjoy the lovely hillside garden. The staff was friendly and helpful. Although the beach was small and rocky, I could get in the water and swim a short distance to the adjoining resort where the snorkeling was excellent. It was a short walk to another cove where there was a sandy beach and even better snorkelling. I describe my experiences at Double One Villas in “Two Journeys: Swimming from Darkness to Light,” a book I wrote about my adventures in Bali as a solo traveler (available on Amazon and Wattpad).

Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Stocholm
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

2 star hotel, local management. Clean and affordable. Big balconies and big rooms, they have 10 villas, few nites I was the only guest but on xmas/new yrs it was fully booked, also popular among local Bali people. Next door is Puri Wirata by internation management, embroided towels, own spa etc, small differences. Lot of stairs, kitchen was sometimes a lotterykitchen but overall food was ok. On the beach there are some snorkling gear sellers who do not work for the hotel. They are quite aggressive and one of my Usa friends got sexually harrased by one of these guys. They left Amed because of that. We spoke to the management of the hotel. Snorkling in front of the hotel was not good, try Lipah beach.

Room Tip: Choose rooms closer to the sea, less stairs going to the restauramt/beach.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Ubud, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

One of our stay at east of bali.we get double one villa.with good price with nice area and not busy.after from lovina stay at villa akasa segara.
For snorkel and dive in here .me with my friends from paris .visiting Amed and stay get directly booking.
Good for rilexs in here

• Stayed October 2012
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Well, this is the first time I, or actually we, write review for Double One, over our many visits there. We are probably the most frequent visitors of theirs. I remember their dry garden from the road down to the beach along the stairs. No mature trees or flowers.. we were exposed to the sun every time while descending or ascending those stairs.
Yup, the stairs are the one caught you the first time. But only sissies would complain about those stairs. I mean unless you have some health problems, .. don't get me wrong. Watch those workers there, skinnier-shorter than average westerners, they went ups and downs (with luggage) more than several times a day that we've seen them with our own eyes, including helping us with our bags and supplies. My girl was 4 the first time we went there. So, I got quite supplies with me. Not to mention our toys, rubber kayaks n paddles, snorkeling & diving gear, incl. warm water wet suits for the three of us.
Tip for them like $1 for each of them and they'll be happy. Happy means they will gladly help you for nothing later, i.e. when you forgot you don't have change in your pocket. Trust me cos as we put on the title, we are one of their frequent visitors since their birth.

As of activities, don't expect a noisy clubs and those bloody Aussy drunkers ,.. he he,.. (They're nice people by the way...)
No clubs or chicks to hit and bring to your room. Kuta and Seminyak is the place to go if that's what you have in mind.

Amed, is a lazy true Balinese village by a calm ocean with its sea garden.
SNORKELERS & DIVERS HEAVEN only.
or couples who want to get away from the buzzing city of South Bali.

As of vendors on the beach bothering you constantly,.. hey, just don't answer them. They WILL leave you alone if you didn't talk to them.
And they're not hotel staff either. Be smart to make the difference between them.
Yes I agree they're annoying. Yes I did complained. Yes they made my hubby mad too.
Yes I agree, they're hard to ignore.
Fact is, those kind of people, vendors etc, they're everywhere in every resorts.
In Mexico, Bangkok, etc, Although probably not as aggressive.
If you are travelers, there always things you gotta deal with, not to mention annoying airport security for instance.

Lastly, FOOD.
Don't forget to order GRILLED PRAWNS with GARLIC BUTTER SAUCE from Double One restaurant. So far, that's the only excellent dish on their menu.
Although the garlic butter was a lil greasy but after a day playing in the sea, those kinda fat is healthy, especially knowing on check out you will have good exercise climbing the stairs at the hotel.

And if you want your car washed just ask hotel staff, and the next day your car is clean and ready for your journey. Cost? $1 or $2, and they're happy with it. I usually give $3.

If anything they lack of probably language barriers. Their English is adequate. Probably European with limited English would have a hard time communicating with each other. Hubby sometimes couldn't understand them also.

You guess right, we will come back there. Especially after all the upgrades they did on the stairs and beds.

Oops don't forget to check the water pressure in the shower. Sometimes something is broken, just like any resorts or hotel any where else.

Just keep in mind, this is a third world country and it is located in the village. No way jose to compare to anything back home.

Happy traveling !

Room Tip: I'd go with no. 3 and 4. You are still beach front without the noise from those vendors.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bali
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Marble floors, HUGE bathrooms, huge rooms and stunning views should all make for something very grand... but bamboo and outdated furniture bring it all down to earth. I have stayed here a few times now. I find the staff to be friendly and helpful, the swimming pool is lovely and everything is clean.
The beach is horrible (all rocks), but that is just Amed. The snorkelling straight out front of the hotel is magnificent, but you have to be lucky with the tides.
This is a great place to go if you want to do nothing. :)

Room Tip: Don't stay if you have bad knees or hips. The stairs are a killer. All rooms have views. Pool si...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Apparently we arrived at a bad time. The rains had finished late, the workmen were repaving the paths and we (3 couples) were the only bookings. We were shown the "garden view" rooms we'd booked and they were unimpressive, poorly equipped rooms looking at a sad unmown piece of grass. We were thinking of moving on but the friendly (though somewhat clueless) staff said we could swap rooms and we ended up in the beachfront villas for an extra $20 a night. Double One isn't situated on the best beach (there isn't one to speak of) but it's only a short walk to Lipah where the beach and snorkeling are fabulous. For the 4 days we were there the army of workmen worked on the paving of the paths which made access to our rooms and the pool a challenge at times (not to mention the noise). Having said all that, once the manager came on duty next day he went out of his way to make our stay a pleasant one. The food is good, the pool lovely, and stairs back up to road provide a regular free aerobics class.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Double One Villas? Share your experiences!