“Kerala Visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maria Heritage Homes and Spa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alappuzha
Maria Heritage Homes and Spa
You added Maria Heritage Homes and Spa to your Saves list
Pulinkunnu | Alleppey, Alappuzha 688504, India   |
Ranked #14 of 135 Alappuzha B&B and Inns
“Kerala Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

We are originally from the UK but working in Abu Dhabi and have always wanted to visit India. Many friends have told us to visit Kerala as a beach and backwaters holiday, so we have had a two location visit, 1st 3 days at Travancore Heritage and then 4 days at Maria Heritage.

We arrived at Maria on the 16th Feb 2008, to a very warm welcome from all of the staff. The location is just out of this world right on the river front with paddy fields to the rear. The villa is very well laid out in it own well maintained private grounds. All meals are very well presented, tasty and a true taste of Kerala.

The whole experience is so interesting as the local people live and work around the river with very few tourists, so a natrual environment and not in any way commercial. Whilst staying at Maria we visited Alleppey which is the nearby city where local life goes on, busy but again very interesting. Also we did a 2 hour country boat ride into the back waters. This is a must as the local life and nature can really be seen. Bring pens for the children as they just love this and are so happy by these gifts and having their picture taken. In addition a house boat trip is also a must. The boat trip is approx 5 hours and includes a beautiful Indian lunch on board whilst touring the rivers and again fantastic to see the real local life by the river side.

We will most certainly be visiting Maria Heritage and Kerala again in the future.

Stayed February 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

I wish i could get remarried in this wonderful spot.It was a dream come to true for me to have my marriage conducted in the St. Mary's church just across Maria and travel majestically with my husband across the famed backwaters in a kettuvalum (house boat) into maria heritage.

Maria heritage was the reception venue for our marriage.During night time the whole of maria was lit up with illumination.We were enthroned on a stage as King & Queen.A stage was created in the backyard of Maria just besides the lush green paddy field.The beautiful Pamba river flowing right beside the walls of Maria.The scenic beauty of my marriage venue was breath taking.

We stayed in Maria for three days in their majestic top floor honeymoon suite, complete with a sunk in bath.....;-) We had refreshing view of the lush expanse of the paddy field from our room balcony.

One whole day we spent it on a houseboat....just cruising the Pampa lakes........i mean it couldnt get any better.....

I was even treated to Ayurvedic massages everyday.....later on in the evenings I would go for walks around the countryside and also take the country boat ride along the quaint canals.

We even visited the local orphanage, run by the church nuns who are closely associated with the owners of Maria as I was told. The children there did a lovely dance number for us.......

food was simply finger licking the least to say....and the staffs,especially Rema, Jimmy, Raju and the other ladies treated us like royalty....

Thank you Maria for making the most important days of my life one of the most memorable.

Anitha
India

• Liked — the open courtyard
  • Disliked — maybe remove the TV from the rooms so Husbands dont sit in front of it.......;-)
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

Need to get away from the city and try something different? Well I would recommend Maria Heritage Homes & Spa. An ideal backdrop to relax, recover and recouperate. After my explorations on the backwater cruise, Indian Massages and fantastic Indian cuisine, I returned home fully recharged with stories a plenty to tell. Niels, (a satisfied customer!) Scotland.

Stayed November 2007
paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

Maria's is beautifully decorated with Keralan antiques and the bathrooms are extremely stylish, though the hot water is somewhat erratic. Delicious meals including wonderful Kerala Egg Roast for breakfast (if you like your breakfast spicy!). The bedrooms in the separate villa are not soundproofed at all - it would be a worthwhile improvement to sort this out. We loved the new year's eve party!

Stayed January 2008
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2008

Such a beautiful homestay in front of the backwaters...
People are really nice and totally available for anywant you need
We had the best lunch and dinner of all our trip in India !!!
I really recommand it

Emilie & Emmanuel
France

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Lack of swimming pool
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2008

Well I am a doctor and so is my wife who is compleating her fellowship. We dont get much time to be together since the last 2 years, due to our careers. Well this christmas we desided to take a week off the record with our son (Eric) in a quiet place.

We really wanted it to be peaceful, beautiful, refreshing and without the disturbance of a busy place. I searched the net for a cool place and found this one. The images looked great and the email sounded great. Knowing a little about kerala – I was a skeptical at first, and since I could not find bookings in many other places decided to try my luck. They committed to pick me up from cochin airport and promised me a great stay.

To tell you the truth, this place was beyond great. Its homely and all skepticism vanished the moment I landed there. It was truly homely, the food was great, and the lush green paddy fields right behind is a sight to see. If nothing else just sipping a coffee and looking out to the paddy fields on one side and the cool backwaters on the other could make your day. Well the traditional home cooked meals are one that you would really enjoy. There is plenty of space and the furnishing are pure antique. I was pretty surprised to find the toilets were neat and perfect.

The backwater house boat rides, the out door badminton and the lawns are fantastic. I should say the ayurveda (SPA) was fabulous. There are different types of treatments available. One thing I have suggested is the swimming pool well it’s a little small, but I have been told they are getting a big one by march. Well if that’s in too then I would say that’s my kind of a holiday. The backwaters of pulinkunnu, would give Venice a run for its money. Well they are open and a sight to see specially in the mornings and the evenings.

All in all a great place to chill out and relax, well thank you Maria I had a wonderful time and hope, I could get some place the next time around, the way I see it it might be hard to get in on short notice again.

All the best – and see you next December.

Dr Ajith Joy K.

• Liked — Feel at ease away from home, well its unique but still at ease
  • Disliked — the pool was too small
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2008

Myself and my family stayed at the Maria Resort and Spa, Kearala for two days in November 2007. The stay was just memorable. The moment we entered the property, we were taken to another world, a blissful one. The property is so meticulously kept and we were like Royals there. The atmosphere in and around the Resort is very nice. The staff on duty at the Resort are very friendly and they made us feel very homely. The entire property is very tastefully and very artistically decorated. I have to make a special mention about the Manager of the Resort, Mrs. Rama Menon. She took care of the us even to the minutest detail. The food served was just wonderful and I have no words to express the satisfaction and happiness myself and my family derived by this short stay. I have no hesitation in recommending this property for a holiday to a person who is very particular about the quality of having a good time.

I hasten to express my appreciation to the owners of this wonderful property for developing such a lovely one. Hats off to Mary Thomas.

My family still talks about the wonderful holiday we had and if an opportunity comes, we will visit again in the near future.

M. Krishnamurthi,\Managing Partner,
AGN MAK,,
Chartered Certified Accountants,
Post Box No. 29236,
Abu Dhabi.
United Arab Emirates

Telephones: [--]

Stayed November 2007

Been to Maria Heritage Homes and Spa? Share your experiences!