This hotel was very "average". Reading through the reviews on TA i was expecting more. We used the hotel as part of our South India Tour organised by The Travel Planners (highly recommended for all your South India Tours). The best point is its location. Loved being right in the backwaters and seeing all the houseboat traffic going past our window. Also enjoyed the complimentary sunset cruise. The room was ok. I believe there are newer or premium rooms so possibly pay extra for them. The bathrooms were a bit dated and needed a refurb. The room was ok and clean.
Strange things at the hotel included putting you on a golf cart to move 20 seconds down the path to your room (it took longer to get on the cart and start it to get to the room walking), fishing demonstration (dipped net in the water, showed you 3 small fish and that was it) a man in a shed jumping to action when staff sent him some guests to make a few pottery items. All very surreal.
The hotels biggest problem is staff. After staying in hotels like Taj or Trident it was a shock to find inefficient staff and a general feeling of "they dont know what they doing". There was also some attitude problems. It was not just reception but in the restaurant as well. Example: ordered a Lychee Juice and a cheeseburger. We explained we did not want anything in the burger except cheese and burger. Asked the waiter to repeat. We got a tea and bun with cheese in (no burger). This took 30 minutes. Obviously a language problem but just 1 example of the problems with staff. The food in general was poor. You have no choice to eat here unless you take the boat to the mainland but not sure what you would find there.
If the manager reads this i recommend sending your managers or team leaders to a Taj or Trident hotel (or better still to the place they train their staff in hospitality and service) and see how a hotel should be run.
There is a Ramada Hotel being built nearby (maybe a year or so away from completion) so use this or something better in the area.
- Also Known As:
- Lake Palace Hotel
- Lake Palace Hotel Alappuzha
- Lake Palace Alappuzha
- Lake Palace Resort Kerala/Alappuzha, India
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lake Palace is a luxury backwater resort located in Alleppey at the banks of Vembanadu Lake, adjacent to the venue of the legendary Nehru Trophy boat race. Lake Palace Resort represents a quaint tradition, blended with modernity. Its architecture is delightfully Keralite yet comfortably modern and rich in contemporary ethos. Each of its rooms is individually decorated with a dramatic blend of old-world charm and modern accessories. While the Lake View Cottages feature a cozy lounge with mini bar, refrigerator, television, king size bedroom, en-suite bathroom with hot & cold running water and 24 hours room service, the Water Villas offer the rare feeling of being afloat. Its facilities include king size bedrooms that are beautifully appointed rooms with wooden furniture, en-suite bathrooms and 24 hours room service. Every balcony at Lake View Cottage offers a unassailable view of the unruffled Vembanadu Lake where the traditional country boats & canoes cruise gently along. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Otel and HotelsClick so you can book your Lake Palace Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.