“I didn't want to leave” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Green Palm Homes

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alappuzha
Green Palm Homes
You added Green Palm Homes to your Saves list
West Chennamkary P.O., Alappuzha 688501, India   |
Ranked #13 of 135 Alappuzha B&B and Inns
Hove, England, United Kingdom
“I didn't want to leave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I first stayed at Green Palm Homes in January 2012 and loved it immediately on arrival. On Thomas' advice I took the public ferry from Alleppey to Chennamkary village which took 75 minutes and cost Rs7 - what a bargain! An authentic and enchanting start to discovering the backwaters. I couldn't believe it when I saw the gorgeous homestay which I think is of a very good standard. Some people have commented on it being a bit pricey, but the daily rate does include 3 meals a day of Anna's delicious home cooking and I was very happy to pay it.

The local walking and canoeing trips are really fun and interesting and I would definitely recommend visitors taking advantage of these as it's the best way to discover the backwaters and the way of life there.

I stayed for 3 nights and didn't want to leave. In a random conversation with Philip on my last day, I mentioned that I would love to do some voluntary work either in India or Africa. Without hesitating he said "why don't you come back here and teach English to the local children - you can stay in my house and be fed in exchange for your work". I was totally amazed, it was so unexpected. Then I thought "you've been wanting to do this for 6 years, here's your chance" so I accepted.

I went back for 6 weeks in April and May during the school summer holidays. I set up an English summer school on the veranda with morning and afternoon lessons. I had about 30 regular students and it was a fantastic experience. Thomas worked hard to publicise the lessons in the village and I felt really supported and welcomed by the whole family. In fact I felt very welcomed by everyone in the village. I had the time of my life and it's an experience I shall always remember.

Room Tip: There are some rooms with A/C so ask beforehand if you want to be nice and cool. From my experience...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Green Palm Homes is a beautiful , modern group of villa's owned by one family. About 10km from Alappuzha, to be reached by ferry in about 2 hours. Wonderfully far away from the noise and hassle of town, and much better than any boring houseboat,
As long as you don't forget that it's a business you can spend a terrific time here. I paid 1600Rs for a 1 person room, full board. If you compare it to other places in India you might find it expensive, but considering the location, the food, the service and the modern and large rooms it's not that much money. You can rent bycicles, go for a walk for hours, enjoy the peace and silence. Thomas the owner is a bit of a strange character, but very friendly and informative. He knows a lot, if not everything, of this area and you can ask him everything. He drew a map of the surroundings for teh ride on the bycicle, and provided all information I asked for. The staff is also very friendly. But don't forget, it's their business!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Munich, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

The "Green Palm Homes" is a highly commercial company that owns several "Homestays" along Alappuzha. We can't understand the positive reviews. Our room was expensive, very small, much too hot and extremely loud in the early morning - bad value for money! In addition the rich owner was very unfriendly and arrogant to us. Maybe because we can't also afford a Rolex? Ripp-off, never again!

manchester uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

Green Palm Homes was everything we hoped it would be. Philip and Thomas were very welcoming and helpful hosts and their four young daughters were delightful. We felt very welcome in their home. The accommodation was clean and suitably met our needs and the food was delicious and plentiful, perhaps a little too plentiful at times! We enjoyed a number of activities particularly the interesting and informative evening walk with Thomas and the enchanting canoe ride back after sunset. We also hired out bikes, took an early morning canoe ride and a late afternoon motor boat ride returning back just after sunset, This was a really relaxing trip and the sunset was stunning.

We felt that Green Palm Homes offered the best opportunities to see the backwaters and experience all they have to offer through their various activities and we were really glad that we had chosen this in preference to the somewhat overpriced rice boats.

Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

After staying at Green Palms, our houseboat experience was a real let down. Green Palms offers so many more ways of learning about and connecting with the unique ecosystem/community of the backwaters (guided walks, canoeing, boating, cooking instruction, family interactions, etc.) that, by contrast, the houseboat experience felt expensive, artificial, and unnecessary. To be clear, we had a fine experience on a houseboat but it suffered by comparison to Green Palms.

New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Green Palm homes was a highlight of our 7-week trip to southern India. The rooms are very expensive for what they are, but the community-based activities were very, very interesting. We greatly enjoyed Thomas' 4:30 pm tour of the community, topped off with a magical canoe ride. Our hosts were very friendly, and the food very good. I would recommend this to anyone interested in really understanding the history, culture, religion, and issues of the backwaters community.

Moka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I was at Green Palm Homes as part of a group tour by G Adventure.
To sum up my experience, the stay was just excellent. The family was really welcoming. The room so comfortable and the food, cooked by the mother of the family, just AWESOME!
After one week in Kerala, it was at Green Palm Homes that I started to enjoy local food.
We had a lovely backwaters trip in a traditional boat ( not motorized) with one of the brothers ( i forgot his name).
He was so cool, easy going and knowledgeable about the place.
And we had many opportunities to interact with other tourists during the meal times.
Green Palm Homes is amazing! I will definitely recommend the place, without a single doubt.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Green Palm Homes? Share your experiences!