“A very helpful host and well-located” 4 of 5 stars

Motty's Homestay
Kidangamparambu Temple Street, Alappuzha 688 013, India   |
Ranked #11 of 56 Hotels in Alappuzha
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“A very helpful host and well-located”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Motty and his wife were very attentive and helpful hosts. Motty helped us arranged trips on the back waters of Alleppey. A highlight of our holiday was a trip in a canoe around the backwaters with Lalji. He took us to his village where we had breakfast before setting off and then back for dinner. Motty provides breakfast, but unlike other homestyle stayed in, dinner was extra and although very enjoyable and tasty, expensive. As was the stay itself, almost the most expensive of our many stays in India and many of out stays were in hotels. When paying so much, you do expect a certain level of cleanliness, which sadly was lacking. In other homestays and hostels our washing came back clean and ironed, but not here. Alleppey is a great base and Motty is very knowledgeable and gave us a great insight into life in Kerala, hence my higher rating. I would definitely recommend this homestay. Thanks to Motty and his wife.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I'm so glad i made the decision to stay with Motty and Lali - everything from the food that Lali prepared, the accommodation itself, the location, and the trips that Motty organised were fantastic. The trips to local villages were the highlight for me and Motty arranged these so that they were so effortless for me! As a female solo traveller this was a great choice, had 100% trust in everything Motty recommended that I do, and the people he put me in touch with were awesome. I was also especially lucky to arrive in the middle of Onam, the annual harvest festival, and was treated to an unbelievable spread of authentic Keralan food by Lali - amazing! Alleppey itself was very cool - much less touristy than Fort Kochin (and other nearby places I imagine).

Hope to come back to Kerala at some stage and if I do I will come and stay again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed two days with Motty and Lali in their lovely downstairs garden unit. They were very generous, helpful and welcoming, giving us a great deal of local information, and hosting a wonderful dinner and delicious breakfasts. Despite the rainy season we still managed to explore the area and thoroughly enjoyed being there. We highly recommend Motty's Homestay if you are considering visiting Allepy!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kenmore, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed with Motty and Lali at their beautiful Homestay in 2009 and returned there on our last trip to India in April. Alappuzha is such a great town to walk around and explore. We took a tuktuk to the beach one evening and a canal cruise another day on the backwaters.
Our room at Motty's was beautiful and comfortable. There is a shady veranda to sit and read or talk. Lali is a phenomenal cook! I adore southern Indian cooking but I have to say I enjoyed her meals the most of any we ate in the 3 weeks we were traveling. Motty is so interesting and fun to talk to. We will be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Visiting Alleppey again during the Kerala monsoons was an experience. The canals and rivers are full and up to the brim with the famous greenery enriched even further. The entire town of Alappuzha was what I call in full bloom!!

Motty and Lali just made the visit even more wonderful with their wonderful hospitality. Took the same room as my previous visit with the open air rest rooms. I spotted a female Purple rumped Sunbird hanging around the open air bathroom and wondered why for a while till I spotted its nest. in the bathroom vegetation! (see picture) Please dont disturb it's family if you are visiting in the near future.

Room Tip: The out house is my favorite.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MOTTYMATTHEW, Manager at Motty's Homestay, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Hi,

Great to read the nice review and the appreciative words about our home own!

Thank you for letting us know about the bird nest!!

Hope to host you again!

Best wishes,

Motty & Lali
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

It was a pleasure staying in Motty's homestay. :)
The whole family is involved in making their guests feel at home. It was like we stayed in our friend's house.
The interiors are beautiful... The rooms are lovely... the greenery is amazing...
The helped us in finding cabs and arranging to see new places.
It might have been more comfortable to stay in a hotel, but I wouldn't trade it for the experience I had in Motty's home.
Thank you so much uncle and thanks to all your family members . :):)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hello Nitya,

Thank you for the appreciative review!

We enjoyed the unique experience of having a mixed group of family and friends!! I particularly enjoyed the chat with Dad.

Convey our best regards to your family and the friends !

Best wishes from Motty & family
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed with Motty and his wife in early June, just as the monsoon was setting in. Everything everyone has said is true--they are incredible hosts, and I so enjoyed being able to talk with them about Indian culture and their experiences as international ambassadors. Motty even gave me a personal tour of Alleppey in his car the morning I was leaving. I was the only guest because it was not the high season for travel--thanks to the rain, it was very wet, and the power was off much of the time, but that was all part of the adventure. It might have been more comfortable to stay in a room at a hotel with a backup generator, but I wouldn't trade it for the experience of understanding Kerala through Motty's home.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Erin,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us!

We enjoyed having you with us and the great conversations.

Thank you specially for putting up with the monsoon and the consequent power failures!!!!

Hope to have you with us again !

Motty & Lali

Been to Motty's Homestay? Share your experiences!