“A great place to be after home....” 5 of 5 stars

Motty's Homestay
Kidangamparambu Temple Street, Alappuzha 688013, India   |
Ranked #6 of 59 Hotels in Alappuzha
riyadh
“A great place to be after home....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We found this to be a very reasonable rated homestay with great homely services. The family owned property offered the good stay and the remarkable services with in a few amount of money. Its really nice to find such people now a days who are not at all carefull of making big money with the exploitation in the tourism sector. It was our first place in kerala and we really had the good opening of our tour. Good place for budgetted travellers.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
MOTTYMATTHEW, Manager at Motty's Homestay, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thank You! Hope to have you again with us !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I stayed there with my family back in Feb 2012 and I cannot sing Motty's and his familys praises highly enough. Delightful food, company, hospitality, I didnt want to leave. From the moment we arrived, early in the morning, we were entertained and educated about the houses and the local areas history. I thouroughly reccommend getting up earlier than usual and assisted Motty's wife in making breakfast, the recipes and simple techniques you can learn will allow you to develop any keen interest in cookery and make some amazing authentic Kerala dishes.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thank You! Hope to have you again with us !
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

We were very disappointed in Motty's homestay, particularly as our previous exoerience had been so good. When we arrived he appeared somewhat cross that we had not arrived at the exact time that he had expected. The food he served us that night was not great at very little of it. When investigating our rooms thte water in the bottle smelt decidedly unsavory and we didn't run the risk of drinking it. Everytime we tried our shower the pump had been switched off so we ended up having a wash in the sink. Motty himself was unhelpful and grumpy and we didn't much feel like we were paying guests. however his contact for the back water cruise was excellent. Overall I felt that his general dis-interest meant that he was only interested in the money and not his guests, which was the first time we experienced this in Kerala. may be too many good reviews have gone to his head.

Dear All,
Sorry, I am addressing you as “ALL”! I thought it best to write a common reply, as you are a group travelling together. I did not comment soon enough because I thought two more reviews from your group would be posted.
We always welcome healthy and constructive criticism and appreciate every review, as it helps us to make an assessment of ourselves.

We have been running the home stay for 15 years! We welcome every guest in to our family and treat them as family. It is only natural that we are concerned and worried when guests are late arriving – like several hours! So when you arrived it was an enormous relief, which I am sorry may have reflected as “ grumpy” !

You will remember that you had changed your booking around many times and we had great difficulty accommodating you during peak season, especially since you were in a group. I hope you will also remember that we had given you a discounted rate since you were occupying all the rooms. I am sorry I could not offer you further discount on single occupancy, because the discounted double room charge was actually the charge of a single room .
You will also remember that you had not booked any meals. But when you arrived late it was to save you the trouble of going out in the dark in a strange place that we offered you a ‘light dinner”., although it was inconvenient. To think that it was the most expensive meal leaves me aghast! We charged you 1000 rupees, BUT it was for 5 persons – equivalent of 2.5 pounds a meal??
I am apologizing for the inconveniences you had in our home stay and thank you for your nice comments about our backwater trip and our rooms.

Wish you all the best.
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

Motty's was a wonderful place to stay. Our room had lovely antique furniture and a bed that would have fitted 4 people. It was spotlessly clean. We couldn't have been looked after better.We chatted like old friends and they were so interesting. We had our meals with them every night that Lali cooked for us and each night she introduced us to a different dish.

When they found that it was hard for me to get around Motty took us in the car to see the houseboats and on Sunday evening he took us down to the beach. We were amazed the beach is very big and it was crowded all the families, young people and just about everyone was on the beach and the atmosphere was wonderful. I'm sure there were at least 5000 people on the beach, probably more. People came up to talk to us as they'd known us for ever. Later we took a tuk tuk/rickshaw back to Motty's and they had a lovely meal waiting for us. They are a lovely genuine couple, perfect hosts and they gave us a wonderful time

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
NatureTours, Manager at Motty's Homestay, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Thank you! We hope to have you again!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

We were really hoping for a great experience at Mottys, having read other reviews, but were sorely disappointed, particulary having come from another much more fabulous farmstay in kerala. Motty seemed disinterested at best, grumpy at worst, and provided us with a very sparse meal evening meal on the night we arrived, for which we were charged more than any other meal we ate in Kerala. The rooms are interesting, in the old colonial style, and the outdoor shower is lovely (as long as you don't mind the bats coming to investigate at night).They were not so clean when we were there, though. It seemed to us that Motty was only interested in making a quick buck, and not really in genuine hospitality, which we found in abundance elsewhere in Kerala. Try somewhere else and persuade Motty to pull his socks up.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Sorry I was not impressed. Water bottles unsealed in rooms with water that smelt. Cockroach in the bedroom. I did not feel very welcome and felt very much like a paying guest. Was charged a full rate for a double room ..usually small discount for a single room. The chap who Motty uses to do the river trip is excellent and we all really enjoyed the experience.

Wish you all the best.
Halesowen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Motty and Lali are the perfect hosts. We chose a homestay to get that ‘inside’ view of india and really glad we did. The room was unique, spacious and clean as too was the house. But the accommodation is little compared to our hosts, we could not have asked for more. They made every effort to spend as much or as little time with us as we wished. They were kind, generous and very good company.

As for the food it was amazing and believe me, plenty of it.

If you are looking for that real taste of india, like good company and food then I can 100% recommend Mottys homestay.

PS – We stayed at 8 different accommodations on our trip and this was our favourite mainly due to Motty and Lali.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the kind and encouraging words!

Been to Motty's Homestay? Share your experiences!