“All round excellent homestay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tharavadu Homestay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alappuzha
Tharavadu Homestay
You added Tharavadu Homestay to your Saves list
Vaikathukaran House | cullen road, Alappuzha 688001, India   |
Ranked #17 of 135 Alappuzha B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“All round excellent homestay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

My husband and I spent 3 weeks travelling in Kerala and Tamil Nadu and arranged 3 homestays through Mahindra Homestays. We enjoyed all 3 but Tharavadu was definitely our favourite because Zac and Maria exemplify the spirit of homestays - they genuinely welcomed us into their home and gave of their time as well as their hospitality to share something of their lives in Kerala.
Their home is at the end of a quiet lane off Cullen Road which is within walking distance of the bustling high street shops and a short auto-rickshaw ride from the sea. Zac's family have lived in this area for generations and he built this beautiful home next to the house in which he was raised, It is airy and spacious and the guest bedroom is large and very comfortable with an ensuite shower room and full a/c and ceiling fan.
Both Zac & Maria, without being too obtrusive, were happy to talk about their family and to tell us about the history and culture of Alleppey. Zac took us on a tour of his coir factory and to see the paddy field and fishing lake which he co-owns. Best of all, Maria is a superb cook and was very happy to spoil us with a variety of Keralan dishes for breakfast and supper and to share her recipes with us (she has written a recipe book).
We had a great time and would highly recommend this homestay to other guests.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Chennai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

When I had booked this homestay, honestly I was unsure. I had never stayed at a homestay before and I had lot of apprehensions. But what a stay it turned out to be!! I can say with lot of affection (and on behalf of my family) that we now have a family in Alleppey! Uncle and Aunty are so nice! It's not a money making venture for them. It's a genuine way to welcome guests and treat them well. And hey, it's even better in reality than the pics on their website.
Uncle was kind enough to pick us up from the station, arrange boat ride and cabs for us. He made it all so easy and convenient for us. And now the best part....Maria Aunty's food!!
She cooks so well and serves it with such affection that I never felt that we were meeting them for the first time. My kid kept remembering them throughout the week even after we had moved on to Munnar! It was a privilege staying with them and we are already planning a short second trip to Alleppey!! Thanks to both of them for the warm hospitality and welcoming us in their beautiful house. I would strongly recommend this Homestay to other travelers - I bet they won't be disappointed on any count.....

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Tharavadu Homestay? Share your experiences!