“A tranquil and stunning spot on the lake.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Park on Vembanad Lake

and 1 more site!
You added The Park on Vembanad Lake to your Saves list
The Park on Vembanad Lake
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Puthenangadi, Muhamma Panchayat, Alappuzha 688525, India   |
Ranked #17 of 56 Hotels in Alappuzha
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A tranquil and stunning spot on the lake.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed in The Park on Vembanad Lake for 3 nights during our trip around India in March and it was our favourite stop of our 2 week trip. The hotel itself is set in an incredibly peaceful spot, you can watch kingfishers whilst you relax in the beautiful infinity pool or relax on your balcony and watch the house boats cross the endless lake. But the best thing about this hotel is the incredible Keralan food and the wonderful staff. We ate all of our meals here on the gorgeous terrace and allowed the fantastic staff, mainly Anoop to advise us on different specialities to try and were thrilled every time. The hotel is a peaceful oasis if you have been traveling around the bustling and chaotic cities of India. You can walk along the tiny canals and chat to the friendly locals, visit local temples and festivals and take a tuk-tuk to the nearby beaches of Allepey to watch the sunset. If you want a quiet and relaxing break in stunning surroundings and to sample the culinary delights that Kerala has to offer, I would most definitely recomend this hotel. We found it to be a luxurious, relaxed gem without all the stifling pomp and ceremony that we experienced in many other luxury Indian hotels.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
TPVL, General Manager at The Park on Vembanad Lake, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Park on Vembanad Lake & M V Apsara. We thank you for your valuable feedback. We are glad to learn that you had a comfortable stay with us.
Your positive comments regarding the resort and staff services are warmly received.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back at The Park Hotels for yet another memorable stay.

Binu K N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Recently returned from a two-night stay on board the Apsara yacht (part of a six-day trip to Kerala focused on Cochin). They were the most tranquil and relaxing days of a fabulous trip. The yacht is beautiful, with very comfortable cabins (love those beds!) and welcoming public areas. It's a delightful setting for a family or large group, as the yacht is reserved for one group at a time. The five of us had the yacht to ourselves, although it can accommodate up to 16 people. The first-rate service on board was personalized and attentive, thanks to food and beverage manager Karthik Gurudev and his team. The versatile chef created delicious meals tailored to our specific requests, and the crew was very responsive to our requests for minor repairs to the cabins. During the day, we enjoyed viewing the lake and famed backwaters from our shaded viewing deck, and in the evening, we docked at the Park on Vembanad Lake where we could use the hotel swimming pool and facilities. Breakfast is served at the poolside hotel restaurant. Altogether a perfectly balanced lake-and-land experience. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: On the yacht, opt for the cabins on the upper deck. The two lower-deck cabins are closer to the fai...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Gurgaon, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

It should not be called ‘Park’ on Vembanad Lake , rather a ‘Jewel’ on Vembanad Lake. We had a memorable stay there. Rooms were very nice and luckily, we were upgraded to the suite. It was luxurious, very modern interiors and well equipped. Hotel is just on the Vembanad lake.. Staff was very courteous and were ready to go out of the way to help you out.. Personalised attention to each and every guest is what makes it perfect. Chef Kishore came to us personally and asked for our choice of food, so you can eat just what you want and no need to go for compulsory buffets.. And a big thanks to Ajo and Anoop to make our stay so comfortable..

Room Tip: Go for the lake facing room (below Suite)

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 2N/3D. The hotel is located infront on the lake which gives a scenic view to the guest.The staff is courteous and well managed. The best part was food. We were most of the time served by 'Gautam' & 'Anoop' who were extremely professional & courteous. We also met Simon, the captain of the cruise who showed us the entire cruise and rooms. The rooms were good, my only suggestion to the staff is to use room freshener as there was a stingy smell coming from the AC due to rainy season. They should have taken this into consideration before the guest notice this.
Overall experience was very peaceful and i would come back for a stay again.

Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

One of the classiest, most friendliest, and beautiful locale, all put together makes The Park on Vembanad Lake the place to stay! The staff is very courteous, the rooms are like 5 star, ultra clean with all the latest facilities, and the food is simply awesome, with so many options to choose from... traditional Kerala, Chinese, North Indian, not to mention the lovely desserts! The house boat ride organised by the hotel people on Lake Vembanad (half day trip with yummy lunch) was classy! Also, do make it a point to visit the Marari Beach (never ever have witnessed a cleaner and a beautiful beach like this, trust me!)...

We were a group of office folks from Chennai who stayted on this lovely property for 3 days and 2 nights, and loved every minute of it! Kudos to the lovely staff of Park Hotel!

Room Tip: Well, all the rooms are lake facing! Still, go for the rooms on the first floor! You will have a bet...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I visited this boutique property on an off-season 2 day break, purely selecting it based on TripAdvisor reviews - and Man was I Surprised.

Prelude: We had to visit Kerala for a 2 days wedding at Thiruvalla and since I had already seen Munnar and Thekkady, I decided to spend 2 nights on backwaters. My first choice obviously were one of the houseboats, but since my better half is scared of insects (which are found in truckloads on any evening in an houseboat) - I decided to chose a star property bang on the lake. Though everyone convinced me to find something on Kumarakom side (Zuri or Kumarakom resort), I was bowled over by the pictures and reviews for the park. Since I am a lover of "peaceful" locales and less crowded hotels (this one has just 10 rooms) - my decision was instant.

Arrival: I had some problems reaching the place, as no cab drivers seem to know the exact location. Luckily I was using the directions on google maps, and I reached bang on without asking for guidance even once. I knew that the hotel would be less crowded being an off season, but was surprised to hear from the reception that we were the only guest for the first night. Our welcome letter and a gratifying front desk incharge (Mr Ajo) were waiting for us on arrival.

Lovely surprise: I had booked the lowest category room using a deal on the hotel website, where I got a night free alongwith free breakfast for two days and one dinner. I knew this room was priced the lowest and hence did not expect much, but to my utter surprise - we were upgraded free of charge to "The Suite".

The Accommodation: All rooms were indeed tastefully designed and were above average on all parameters. The lake view differed from each room, but was still a front for all rooms. The Suite on the other hand was bang on the lake (the only room so close to the water) and the view was breath-taking. The suite had a living area, a bedroom area, a terrace facing the lake - with houseboats and shikara's passing by every minute, a door less bathroom and a small sink/wardrobe area. The ambiance was amazing for my preferences (only thing I missed was a bathtub).

The facilities: There was a gym and a very pretty pool (about 5 feet depth - so no diving plz) alongwith a very good restaurant by the pool. Being a fitness freak, I loved spending my "leisure time" sweating it out in the gym followed by lying in the pool. The pool was so inviting that our last day, we got up at 6.30am inspite of a long drinking binge the previos night - just to get a last dip in the pool before the sun comes out.

The service: This was definitely the best part. There was a personalized touch and warm service (which I normally see missing in properties at good locations) throughout our stay. Right from the front office, to the restaurant, to the kitchen, to the house keeping , to the "Apsara House Boat" attendant, to the gardening staff - everyone was just perfect. I personally hate staff who will keep coming to you or sticking on to guests and keep pestering about their needs. The staff here instead just gave you the right amount of attention, and then left you to your reading or dining or swimming. As mentioned in other reviews, the chef/restaurant incharge will come to your room and take your preferences to get a personal meal cooked just for you. On our first night, we were also given an option for a special lakeside dinner table set up just for us, as it was a full moon night. They even took the trouble of setting up a temporary "live counter" for the appams we ordered - and asked us if we wanted to try our hand at cooking them. On our second day, we met Mr Karthik in the restaurant, who happened to be from our city (Mumbai). Unlike other staff who might stretch it too far talking about the city you are from, we would converse just around our personalized food orders, and he would leave us in our tranquility as soon as the topic was over. The best part was also that none of the staff (even gardening) would look (stare) at the guests when they are standing in boxers in the balcony, or swimming in a two piece in the pool (which is very rare in any part of the country I have visited so far).

Overall it was a very very perfect visit. My better half has been simply singing about the trip as being (so much) better then our honeymoon abroad.

Areas of improvement:
- I have a slightly different (angrezi) taste in food. I love my bacon and sausages and eggs in breakast, and need kilos of red meat during main courses at lunch and dinner. Being the 1st of the month (closed in kerala) on my first day, and a strike the next day - the kitchen staff could not source my preferential food from the market. We had to make do with what was available in the kitchen (I had eggs in the morning, fish for 2 meals and mutton biryani for 1 meal - Pork & Beef were sorely missed). But I am sure this might be a one off case only for me, as all the commercial tourist dishes (dosa/paratha for breakfast, chinese for dinner, chicken punjabi dishes, fish kerala dishes, appam - were well stocked). Since I was the only guest reserved, coming from within India - they maybe did not anticipate beef/pork/sausages/bacon requests (and neither could they buy from the market due to the 2 day closure). The Kerala Fish curry and The stuffed omlette were the best dishes I had. I just had to explain in two lines on how I wanted my eggs, and I got exactly the way I had imagined them in my mind on all 3 occasions (scrambled egg, half fried egg, stuffed omlette).

- VERY VERY IMPORTANT** - The hotel does not have a "liquor license". The hotel staff still is kind enough to buy whatever you want from the market and get it for you. I would still suggest visitors to get their own bottles from Kochi before arriving here. (As I could not get from the market - since Kerala was closed for two days)

- The pool is perfect, but a Jacuzzi / bathtub in the rooms is sorely missing (again maybe a matter of personal taste)

These points are definitely not deal breakers in anyway, and the positives completely outweigh and overpower any are of improvement.

Overall, it has been one of the best trips of my life (correction - THE BEST STAY of my life within India)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TPVL, General Manager at The Park on Vembanad Lake, responded to this review, August 15, 2012

Kochi (Cochin), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Last weekend , I spend one day & night with my entire family at the beautiful and peaceful park. It was for our mom's 60th birthday and we wanted a place cozy enough to feel at home yet giving us all the comfort a resort can provide. I was apprehensive when booking as I was worried if we would end up getting a hotel like feeling. All fears were put to rest as soon as we reached. The personalized attention that the entire team provided made sure that the time spent in the property was well spent . I'm sorry , if I got any names wrong .. I'm just pulling it off the memory.

Starting the Ajo , who helped us chose the room of our preference and Anoop who showed the patience to teach all of us fishing ( and boy , we did catch a lot of them ) . Karthik , who went beyond his duty and duty time to ensure that my family had the best dinner setting and food at our own slow pace. Kishore and Gautham who served us tasty food.

Thank you guys ... Thank you for making my family get-together special for all of us .

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
TPVL, General Manager at The Park on Vembanad Lake, responded to this review, July 31, 2012

Binu K N

Been to The Park on Vembanad Lake? Share your experiences!