“good location and good outset of the cottage..” 4 of 5 stars

Marari Fishermen Village Beach Resort
Pollathai PO, Alappuzha 688549, India   |
Ranked #44 of 59 hotels in Alappuzha
Patiala, India
“good location and good outset of the cottage..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

me and my family stayed in this property for last april as part of my honeymoon. was very pleasant stay for me and had a memorable candle light dinner at the beach.
we recommend this property for the honeymooners who prefer to stay away from town and daily buzy life.

Room Tip: sea facing cottage
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

153 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bangalore, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

This resort cannot be worst than any other in the world, first beware that it is not easy to find.
This is located 2 kms from the main road and you dont have any transport from the main road you need to walk from the main road to the resort in the bad roads and small streets with all your luggages, think of how you will go at night with no street lights. we managed to go with mobile flash lights and some people missed the route and its a hard time.

Next forget about food, it will come only in installments, one poori or one chappati in buffet for 10+ people if they are for in table, i never seen restarurent people as conjuce like this that too for 400 rs for break fast which they charged, never talk about the food further.

Room quality, that is so bad and should not be even discussed it will be bad for other hotels.

Beware Beware Beware Beware Beware

I will upload more pictures to tell really how bad.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Bangalore, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

this resort is really worst ever i have seen my life. very bad behavior of manager in resort and their employee as well and the food is worst ever i had in my life. we went for relaxing but after arrival there we struggled a lot for everything we need to go outside.
first of all this resort is 2km inside. there is no light arrangement in street if anybody is coming late. rod is full of mud. don't ever go this resort. only waste of money and time. check other resort.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I find myself agreeing with a lot of the things said in previous reviews. We arrived in Alleppey too late in the day to hire a house boat, so decided to stay a night in somewhere luxurious. The 'Resort' on the surface looked ideal. Nice individual cottages, close to a very quiet beach with white beautiful sands. By Keralan standards it was very expensive at 5,000 Rs but decided we should treat ourselves after a lot of travelling. It was a very disappointing experience!

Now before I begin my scathing review of this resort let me say that had it cost around 1200 Rs a night I might have overlooked some of negative points. But with paying 'top dollar' for a room it comes with a level of expectation and it failed to deliver on every single front!

So starting with the room. It was spacious, had a large bed, AC and a working television set. At a glance it looked fine. On closer inspection the place was filthy, it wasn't peak season and the resort was quiet. Lots of people seemed to be sat around doing not a lot, so there was no reason for the place to be as dirty as it was. The head board was stained and faded, the curtains were stained. Loose wires were coming out at various points in the wall. The strip lights had no diffusers. In a cupboard I expected to find a minibar or at least a fridge, I found three hairy blankets had been shoved in there as if being put away in a hurry.

The bathroom was the most dirty of all. (Pics to follow) It was thick of dust and grime. Discarded used matches had been left on the window sill and there was several things living in there, and looked like they had been living there for a while. The worst thing in the bathroom for me was the smell of what can only be described as an 'eggy funk' which I found quite stomach churning.

The manager had assured me that I would be able to use Internet there as they hold wireless dongles. Not ideal but it was better than nothing, although trying to connect became a nightmare so ended up having to use one of their ancient terminals at he reception desk. The computer was very old and slow and it honestly took about 20mins to access my emails. From where I was sat I could see behind the reception counter and it was far from being organised. It was filthy and stacked high with old newspapers and magazines.

My girlfriend and I decided to take the short stroll down to the beach and it was beautiful. We had almost the whole beach to ourselves. As we got into the water we quickly realised that it was too violent to go more than a few metres into the sea. I have swam in Varkala and Kovalam and those beaches can be quite choppy but I actually think this was much worse. It was nice but too wild to swim in. A negative point but I can't really blame the manager for that much as I'd like to!

In the short space of time that we stayed there, my girlfriend and I had the misfortune of standing on no less than three surface laid 'anti personnel mines' which I had initially blamed on stray dogs, although reading the other reviews it would appear the local fisherman were to blame for those!

When you're on holiday you try and be cheerful and not dwell on the negatives we we were trying to make the most of it. At 7pm the phone in our room rang and the gentleman at the other end informed me that "Dinner was ready" Excited at the prospect of our evening meal we headed over expecting perhaps a buffet or themed evening.

Instead we found an empty restaurant, a very limited menu hampered by staff speaking little English. There were no beer or soft drinks available and even the Keralan dishes we were familiar with contained questionable cuts of meat. The rice also contained an unwanted guest - an inch long piece of plastic. At breakfast the next day we found stained tablecloths not changed from the previous nights dining, crawling with ants.

If I had to say something positive about the dining experience it was that the waiter could see that we were a little frustrated and tried to cheer us up by playing Indian music loudly out of his mobile phone. It was actually quite comical!

I could harp on about the constant power cuts, the ants nests, bites and the bad nights sleep but I guess you get the idea. I think the manager avoided us the next morning knowing that we had a less than great experience.

I know this is a very long-winded review but it upset me so much that I wanted to share this with everyone. I realise some people only review the bad stuff and not the good. In some instances you have to take Trip Advisor with a pinch of salt. If you have read all of this review and some of the others, then I hope you will take heed and find somewhere nicer to stay while in Alleppey. If you're looking to just have an overnight before or after the backwaters then I'd recommend the Bamboo Lagoon! (At a fifth of the price).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012 via mobile

It seems like lots of people end up here just as we did, searching for a place on Marari beach and finding no resort with free accomodation.

I am embarassed to even openly admit that I have stayed in such a place but I simply need to warn other fellow travellers not to fall into the same trap as I have done.

Before we get into the review let me first warn you about the beach. The beach is spectacular. Sand is superb, white and sea is great but it is not a leisure beach - it is a working beach used by hundreds of local fishermen. They all urinate and deficate there constantly (in the sand, 10m from the sea) and since there are are a great lot of them it spoils the whole experience.

Now for the 'resort'...
Let me start with the cottages and rates - at 6000 rupees per night for ac cottage with ripped curtains, broken lamps, dirty toiled and stench from locals drying their fish just 15meters farther away is rediculous.

The restaurant seems to be run by doped up banch of local village homeboys and had hoorily slow service. On first nigt the food was exemplary, on second it was horrific.

As we laid in our horrid bed we wondered what the heck happened here. The building work on cottages is actually rather good but everything else is shockinly poor or was ran into a horrible state. We imagined that the initial investor died or got into debts and that the reaort was inherited or taken over by group of local thugs... If anyone knows please do let us know.

• Stayed February 2012
Muzaffarpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I stayed here with my wife in first week of February 2012 for 1 day and 1 night. The Resort is located on Marari beach which is 15 Km away from Alleppey city.
Overall it's a nice Resort on the sea beach. We enjoyed here very much. There will b not very much rush on the beach as like other beaches. So u may spend quality time here with ur soul mate. The worst thing is room service that was below average. Bed is not comfortable for any couple. They say about 24 hour hot water facility but its only in words not in reality. Even in our room AC was not working. Food was good. If u r a north Indian, don't scare there r many things for u also. The last thing beware from the Manager's of this Resort. The Resort don't have any swimming pool.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

The hotel, staff, setting is wonderful. Quiet and tranquil, right on the beautifull sandy beach, no
hassle. Food excellant, mainly local food, curries, but a very good fish restaurant in the resort.
Buffet food offering large choice of local food and a few international alternatives. Wonderful chalet style rooms, spacious, clean with lots of luxuries included.. Staff charming and helpful, nothing too much trouble. Trip on river house boat a must, stay overnight for the comfort and sunset alone. Food on board fantastic. Hotel is isolated, no bars or restaurants in the area but this does not spoil the enjoyment as lots of trips to do and places to see.

Room Tip: Ask for chalets close to numbers 11/12 as these are near to all ameneties
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Marari Fishermen Village Beach Resort? Share your experiences!