“Great Western Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 stars 229 Reviews
San Antonio, Texas
“Great Western Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

If you've been in China awhile, and are tired of Chinese food, this hotel has a pretty good Western restaurant. Besides that the rooms are nice. Make sure to book on the business floors. Location to market couldn't be better.

Room Tip: Stay on the business floors
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Gold Coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

Where do I start? Check in took ages. They seemed to have no idea. The room i was given was dirty and well worn. bathroom was tiny but at least was clean. The breakfast buffet was horrible with a lack of seating. I would not recommend this hotel anybody. Over priced and they under deliver.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Plymouth, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

Room was substandard with moldy shower/bathroom, dirty carpeting and extremely smoky. Front desk staff have a very bad attitude, unless your a Westerner - and seem prejudiced toward Chinese guests visiting from overseas. Breakfast buffet is OK, but seating arrangement doesn't allow for any privacy. Not enough small tables, so you will probably end up with an unwanted crowd at your table. The location is good - right by accessory market.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Gurgaon, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

Was in Yiwu for business and stayed at the hotel from the 26th of June to 2nd July. As my work is mainly in the wholesale market of Yiwu, this is an excellent location to stay in. Walk out of the hotel and you are in the market. Since the market opens at 8.30 in the morning, one can start work early without wasting time on commuting.
The hotel is a clean and well maintained business hotel. I stayed in one of the suites in the executive floor - large bedroom and a nice sitting room ( particularly useful as I need to meet suppliers for discussions ). Good butler service.
On my earlier visits, have stayed in the regular rooms which are decently sized, well furnished and also have free WI FI.
Staff is helpful and make efforts to make your stay comfortable.
Good breakfast - both on the executive floor as well as the main dining area on the first floor.
There is a western restaurant on the ground floor which is OK and serves the purpose.
The lounge bar on the ground floor is a bit expensive but nice. The Chinese restaurant on the 1st floor has some excellent food if you know what to order .
Downside of the hotel is its distance from the main city centre which however was not a negative for me. Getting a taxi from the hotel in the evening/night can be a problem - however the maximum wait is not more than 10 minutes.
Overall, a very comfortable and efficient hotel

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Johnson City, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

Upon arrival I thought I was in for a good stay. I was upgraded to the top executive floor. The hotel itself is nice. Good decor, good amenities, etc..., but I had other problems.

The room A/C unit would not cool. The room stayed constantly between 25-27C which to me is very hot and uncomfortable. I called late that night to the front desk but the reply I got was "its too late, A/C is off".

The breakfast on the executive floor had very little variety.

The biggest issue I had with my stay was the taxis out front of the hotel. The first night there I got into a taxi and wanted to go to a place too eat about 10 minutes away. The driver replied 150 and I said "No, Meter" and he replied again 150. I got out of the cab and asked the bell boy and he was of no help. I ended up walking about 2 blocks and catching a legit cab. This happened again the next night. These were brand new Hyundai Green cabs, I guess they think since they have new cabs they don't have to use the meter. Stay away from the Green Hyundai cabs and go with an older model VW Santana and make sure they use the meter. Meter will run you about 10RMB vs 150 that I was quoted.

Location of this hotel is only convenient to the Yuwi market, nothing else is around it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Kansai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

I had a tough day walking throughout the Yiwu market,so I visited the 4th floor foot massage place in this hotel during my stay.One girl gave me a perfect massage,other guy asked me my choice of drink.He served me a drink without any menu or price list,nor charge information in advance but when I leave,they added its price to the massage one.
I claimed it was not fair business while they charge whatever without information in advance,so I would have not opened a can of drink which I did not desired indeed.
I claimed it at the massage clerks but they did not accept my claim so I called the hotel manager.One girl came to hear the situation,but what this young 'manager' offered me is to pay the drink as long as they opened it for me.
Typical Chinese of unfair business.
Their 'western ' restaurant in the ground floor was also poor in quality.
Location,on the market premise but no convenient stores/supermarkets opens until late nearby,really inconvenient.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

Not all hotels in China provide a true international standard of service - but this hotel certainly did. I stayed for 2 nights, and thought it was an excellent 5-star hotel. I would love to stay here again, it was an excellent experience.

Staff speak good English, and are friendly and professional. As soon as the check in lady realised I was a female traveling alone, I was given a lovely 'ladies room' and it was a real treat - all the amenities I could want. Comfortable bed, bathtub and shower, international stations on the tv, spacious and quiet. The rooms here seem well set up for business travelers, with a well-equipped and large desk (with stapler, etc). Good block out curtains, no traffic noise.

Check in was smooth, easy and professional, and the conceige was very helpful. Valet was friendly too, had no trouble geting me a taxi when I needed it, even waving away the first taxi who wanted an exhorbitant flat rate. He got me a taxi driver willing to use the meter instead.

I loved the restaurant here - decent buffet breakfast, excellent dinners on both nights I ate here... the downside was that you weren't given a menu, but were taken to a room with lots of pictures and examples of all the dinner dishes (which I suppose makes choosing easier)... I made a different dish request and it was granted no problem. Cheap beer prices in the restaurant (not so in the lobby bar though! Nice as the lobby bar was). The upstairs restaurant also had a kids' playroom attached to it... only saw 1 kid there, but I'd definitely stay here with my family. Waitresses were very friendly and attentive.

The location is hard to beat - right at the Futian market, 5mins drive from the bus station. Not far to walk to little convenience stores and restaurants on the outside of the market, where the locals eat lunch and where you can get a great bowl of noodles/wonton soup for 5rmb. Also nearby are a couple of Bank of Chinas, and down at the beginning of District 4 is a China Post (where it was easy to ship stuff home... one English-speaking staff member, and they box it up for you too... after having a good look through what you're sending first!)

The clientele of this hotel were a large part international... which is probably why it keeps such good international standards. I'd absolutely and wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Yiwu.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Been to Best Western Premier Ocean Hotel? Share your experiences!