“Decent Zoo with Lots of Room for Improvement!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Gulf Breeze
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Owner description: This 50-acre wildlife sanctuary is perfect for families.
16 attraction reviews
“Decent Zoo with Lots of Room for Improvement!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

We just returned from our trip to the zoo today and were somewhat dissappointed. We had 2 adults, 2 children and 2 babies in strollers. We decided to take the children my daughter watches in her daycare business out for a little fieldtrip due to a promotion with a company called Groupon where we were able to get half-priced tickets. When we got up to the counter we were given a hard time and the attendant wouldn't honor half of the pre-bought coupons stating they only allow one per group (something that was not in the fine print!). So we were stuck buying full- priced tickets for the kids. It turned out to be a rather expensive adventure, with the added expenses for the train, the food, and the giftshop!
The kids enjoyed the petting zoo which has a lot of goats, rabbits, etc for petting and feeding. They were mildly frightened by a white turkey who stalked them for a bit, but he was harmless!It was a highlight as always to watch the monkeys. The kids enjoyed the train ride although it seems kind of short. There is a playground, but it is tiny, and the kids became bored with it quickly.
It would have been nicer if they had had a bigger play area for the kids, a friendlier attendant at the entrance that maybe could have explained any daily zoo activities (if there were any), not being hassled about pre-bought discounted tickets, a bigger area to view the monkeys who were the most active animals, yet were confined a smaller rather boring cage!
I really doubt I will return, nor would I recommend this zoo for a family outing!

Visited January 2011

Navarre, Florida
“Lions, tigers, and bears, oh my and a baby hippo too”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

We, senior citzens, and our daughter visited the Gulf Breeze Zoo today and had a great time. The train ride through the open range was very interested with all of the wildlife living side by side. The baby hippo was so cute as were the young zebras, camel, giraffe and the two black bear cubs. This is a nature lovers zoo not a commerialized type of zoo. All animals look in good health, happy, and feed well. All have good spaces with natural amenities. We live in Navarre and will visit often. Our daughter lives in Indiana on a horse farm, and works for a veterinary hospital. She was impressed. Keep up the good work.

“Another Great Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

I would like to start by saying me and my wife went on the evening of 12/11/10 for the christmas lights and enjoyed it alot. We spent two and a half hours there meeting real nice folks,feeding and playing with some of the animals , and talking with the great staff they have there.I would like to say about the negetive reviews made by other people that I have been here so many times I have lost count and enjoyed every visit there.Yes there have been ups and downs like anything or anywhere. I went when it first opened seen it when a hurricane just about wiped it out to the work in progress stage its at now.Yes its a small town zoo by big city standards but the folks that own it and work there try very hard to make your visit very special in a small town kind of way.So to the people that write the negetive reviews I say PLEASE be nice and give this small town zoo a special chance because its rebuilding and trying .

Pensacola, Florida
“Nice small-town zoo...Please support it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

Obviously a 50 acre zoo in a beach town is not going to be as great as the San Diego Zoo or something, but I enjoyed it and will go back. There are lots of different animals (except snakes-they're expanding that now though) and several different areas where you can come into contact with them. You can feed giraffes and pet farm animals and I think there may be a camal riding station. There is a train that goes out past the African plains type of animals and to the great apes. There are chickens, peacocks, and turkeys loose but they weren't a problem for me; I thought it was cool that they were free to move about the zoo. Besides a bird poo here and there, it wasn't dirty. Any small zoo needs as much support as it can get, so I don't know why one reviewer suggested to not give them business. The more we support our zoos that better they can accomodate their animals!

Pensacola, Florida
“Can't really call this a "zoo"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

First of all, it cost us $40 for admission (2 adults, 1 paying child, w/military discount), which doesn't sound horrible, but after we got into this "zoo," we felt we paid way too much. This zoo is FILTHY. There are chickens that wander around, dropping feces everywhere. We couldn't even let our 15-month old down to walk because of the dirtiness, and because we were afraid a chicken might attack him. The cages of the animals are not clean; the otter's water was green, murky and disgusting. We felt horrible for them. The animals are extremely jumpy; for example, one monkey kept literally jumping and attacking the fence that it was behind, screaming as it did it. To us, there didn't seem like enough room in the cages for the animals. We've been to several zoo's, and we've seen what these animals need to live in, and this is NOT it. Please do not support this zoo by going to it. One of the sad things (the condition and behavior of the animals being the worst), is that this zoo just re-opened in February 2010 (apparantly it was previously closed due to bankruptcy). And it's very small; it took us less than 2 hours to go through the zoo and take the train ride. This zoo should be examined by the National Zoological Society. It get a big thumbs down from our family, and we will never go back there!!!