“Poor and overpriced” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lille, France
“Poor and overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

You don't get for your money. Under the pretext of being Eco Friendly, there is no bathroom set (shampoo soap ... ) fortunately we had towels.. If you stay at the first floor room you can't take a shower if the guest in the room below you at floor level takes one. No water pressure. The staff does not speak English at all (or french) and is clearly not trained, despite doing his best. Breakfast was very long to be served and required many re-orders due to misunderstanding. The tenant dogs are sleeping on the pool deck chairs at days, and at evening dogs are scratching and grooming on the sofas inside which are becoming quite dirty. THIs hotel is overpriced and playing in the wrong quality category.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
keplodge, Owner at Kep Lodge, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear Alain,

We feel sorry that your two nights with us haven't been to your complete satisfaction.
It is true that we don't provide any toiletries in the bathrooms (there is a bar of soap however), but it is clearly stated on the bathroom wall that these are available free of charge at the reception.
We believe that most international customers come with their own and don't need additional toiletries.

That there is not enough water pressure on the first floor when a guest takes a shower downstairs is honestly the first time I hear about (we built this bungalow three years ago), but I will definitely look into this problem and if necessary increase the water pressure with an additional pump. Sorry for this inconvenience.

We had some changes at our reception in recent months and had to hire new, local staff; of course they aren't 100% trained yet and their english isn't excellent, but they are learning every day and are improving their skills.
However, our chef de reception, Mrs Chanon, speaks excellent English and I don't know why she didn't help when there were misunderstandings but please rest assured that I will raise this issue with my team.

Kep has now over 60 hotels (three years ago there were less than 20) and all of them need English speaking staff. Therefore we are experiencing a shortage of skilled labour in Kep.
Skilled Cambodians from Phnom Penh don't come to Kep because they would be too far away from their families and they don't like the quietness of Kep!
We all hope that the recently revived Don Bosco Hotel-School, Kep will help to provide more skilled employees for the Kep hotels.
That our dogs sleeping on the deck chairs is a problem and we are trying to educate them, which isn't an easy job. However we are cleaning the deck chairs and sofas daily in the morning.

Kind regards,

Dan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Regina, Saskatchewa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I recently stayed at Kep Lodge in the Banana Bungalow for six nights and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. It was a wonderful respite after a busy two week tour of Cambodia. The grounds were amazing and the pool which was cleaned every morning was a refreshing relaxing place to spend the afternoon. I can't say enough good things about the staff. As a gal traveling on my own they made me feel so welcome and always had a happy smile and kind word. I also enjoyed the young fellow who has there learning English while doing some restaurant serving. My bungalow was clean and had everything I needed - the welcoming plate of fruit was a nice touch. The breakfast was lovely - I started at the top of the list and worked my way down and started over again!. It was all good. Any meals I had there were fine. Reading the review below about the dogs being bad? I guess because I love dogs having them about the place was a bonus...all I'd suggest is get them fixed so no more puppies!!! (as adorable as they were - I'm a believer in doggie birth control!) After walking or touring around Kep by tuk tuk it was always nice to come "home". I had been looking forward to my stay at Kep Lodge for months and it did not disappoint at all. I guess the only negative would be that people buying a meal or drink can use the pool so sometimes all the recliners by the pool were used by 'outsiders'. I just skulked in the shade and grabbed their spot the second they left. However it was a fabulous six days and as the tuk tuk pulled away from Kep Lodge I had tears in my eyes....that says it all! Keep up the good work Dan!!

Room Tip: The Banana room was close to the restaurant and pool. Those wanting a quieter room (it was fine for...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We loved Kep Lodge- our room had an amazing outdoor living room with a tranquil garden setting- the salt water pool was soothing after traipsing around the area on the free house bikes- the only complaint we had was that we had to leave all too soon

Room Tip: We stayed in the lower level of the orange duplex unit although the folks above us said the view dow...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Battambang, Cambodia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

stayed here with my boyfriend for a few days and really liked it. that being said it is a bit expensive for what you get, and the dogs are no good. However we liked it and will return. The owner, Dan, is a nice swiss guy and very helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed for a couple of nights after 3 months in Cambodia and although the grounds are beautifully done up with lush vegetation and tasteful bungalows, the resort is vastly overpriced.

For 33usd per night, our room had no tv or aircon. It was basic with mosquito net having a couple of holes in the seams, which cost us a number of bites. Also, on the first night, we didnt have a hot water.

The restaurant was equally disappointed. We had 8usd crab cakes, which for the price came without tartar souce (apparently run out) and the potatoe side dish lacked any taste.

The staff is very friendly though and made for a pleasant visit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
keplodge, Owner at Kep Lodge, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Marci,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the TA community. We are happy that you liked our impressive garden and our tastefully decorated bungalows.

We are not so pleased that you had wholes in the mosquito nets and will address that with my cleaning staff. That there was no water is because we have this a bit complicated gas heating system which can be sometimes complicated to maintain. That is of course not your problem and we are sorry that you had to take a cold shower.

Your bad review about our restaurant astonished me, since most of our guests are more than happy with our dishes. Of course that the crab cake had no sauce is not acceptable and shouldn't be served when we ran out of sauce. Again, sorry that your dish wasn't as expected and please believe me that this won't happen again.

We are pleased that after all you had a pleasant visit and we hope we can accommodate you again during your next visit to Cambodia.

Dan
Harpenden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

A lovely relaxing place with a great pool for children - our 4 year old and 21 month old loved it and we had great trouble keeping them out of it! The food was lovely and I will remember the Kep crab we had for dinner till the end of my days.

The staff were great and I would definitely stay again. We stayed for 2 nights in the deluxe double bungalow which is a hop, skip and jump from the pool and bar/restaurant area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed in Kep Lodge 4 nights while in Cambodia, and would recommend it for travellers who want a relaxed and laid back experience.

We stayed in the bungalow Banana, which had a nice terasse with a hammock. The bungalow itself was quite rustic and the doors and windows did not seal off insects and the like from outside, but there was a moscito net over the bed, so it didn't matter that much. It's a "safe" way to experience the Cambodian jungle. But if you're not up for this, a better option would be to book one of the more luxuriuos bungalows.

The staff was incredibly friendly and definitely deserves a special mention! In the few days we were there it was almost like we were part of a family.

The bar/restaurant/reception area was a great place to relax and enjoy the home cooked meals which was actually the best we had in Kep. The salt water swimming pool was great for winding down after hot day trips in Kep and surroundings.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kep Lodge? Share your experiences!