“Perfect relaxing place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Kep
Shanghai, China
“Perfect relaxing place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

This was one of the best place we staid in Cambodia. Situated in the middle of the nature, the garden is quiet and the swimming pool is just perfect at the end of a touristic day.
The hotel is 50 meters from the beach and the center of Kep. The service is perfect and they have nice restauration concepts (several events a week, very nice). I highly recommend this hotel.
Very nice and romantic rooms as well.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice and quiet
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This hotel is set in lush grounds a few mins walk from the main beach in Kep. The rooms and the resort itself are quite pleasant. Be aware though that rooms can be equipped differently even within the same grade of room. ie you may find yourself with or without a TV and fridge.

Breakfast is a waste if time to be honest, the chef can't even fry an egg properly and the grim looking display food starts to look tired and flyblown very quickly in that outdoor restaurant setting.

Security shouldn't be an issue in Kep but still I would prefer to feel my possessions could be placed somewhere safe. There was no safe in the room and at reception the normal practice was to just leave all the room keys lined up on the deserted counter - everyone help themselves. Not that the rooms could be secured properly anyway, one morning our window was pushed open and a gardener or someone started stepping into the room until he/she saw us in bed and extricated themselves. I'm not sure if we were being burgled or maybe they were just popping in to use our toilet or something.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
SpringValleyResort, Guest Relations Manager at Spring Valley Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
We want to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. We always listen to what our guests have to say, especially while they are here with us, and also when they make the effort to write a review to share with their fellow Trip Advisor members.

We have considered your objection to our arrangement of room keys on the counter at reception and to avoid the perception by a guest that this is not secure, we have changed our system. Now all keys are handed to guests by staff at reception. Our desk is not deserted--we are always nearby and observing, but we want all of our guests to feel as comfortable and secure as we believe them to be. Thank you for pointing out how you felt about our system and know that we have altered it.

We cannot recognize our beautiful, spacious, open air restaurant at Spring Valley Resort in your description of the breakfast we serve here. Our breakfast buffet is hardly "grim"or "flyblown". As you see from most of the other reviews here, our breakfast is much appreciated by our guests. We serve freshly cut fruit, replenished in a timely manner; two Asian specialties each day, served hot and replenished as needed; crepes cooked to order; eggs and omelette cooked to order--and to the satisfaction of each guest; and 3 kinds of bread baked on the premises each day, served with butter and homemade jams--we've been told many times that it's the best bread in Cambodia. Fresh coffee, tea, and fruit juices are always available as well. I am sorry that you say you didn't enjoy your breakfast, but I can't understand why you didn't.

With reference to the alleged attempt to enter your room, I can only say that it would seem normal to me to that any hotel guest who had such an experience would report it to the management of the hotel immediately. Since you didn't mention it on site to any member of our staff, we can only wonder why you chose to withhold such information...
hobart
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

If there was six boxes above this review box they would get them all.
HEAVEN IS HERE ON EARTH.
Kep Cambodia.
If your looking for paradise on earth, I have found it. Its in Kep Cambodia. 152 kilometers south of Phnom Penh. I was at the Knai Bang Chat sailing club the other night and I spotted these two people, roughly the same age as I (baby boomers). They were sitting on the big grey couch waiting for the sun to turn from an eye burning flame into that warm red ember just as its approaching dusk. Being a bit sad and lonely missing my wife and children I asked if I could join them. They gracefully obliged. We sat and watched the sun disappear, sipping margaritas and bloody marys. The conversation flowed easily.
Their names were Cinzia and David Gilbert. I told them that my plan was to travel by boat to Kodunsai (Rabbit Island) the next day and stay for two or three nights. To which they laughed and replied with “Are you you trying set some kind of record for mosquito bitten experiences”. They said that if you get a little bored , with sleeping, eating fresh crab straight from the sea, that living without WIFI for three nights. Give us a call and come to our new resort in Kep.
I went to Kodunsai the next morning. Driven to the pier by my favorite tuktuk driver in Kep. Whose name is Heat Kep. (remember his name! he is on facebook.) But as predicted by the wonderful Cinzia, the experience was wonderful but one night was enough.
So I jump a long boat back to Kep the next afternoon. Heat Kep is waiting for me as the boat pulled into the pier. I clamber off the boat to a big hug and we stroll arm in arm back to his tuktuk. He takes me to Cinzia and David’s new resort in Kep. Just 2 minutes walk away from the centre of downtown. SPRING VALLEY RESORT.
I stroll into the entrance, I am greeted by the most wonderful staff. Gracious and beautiful. They sit me down, and hand me a drink, a fresh lime juice. The limes picked from the garden that surround us.
I have just dunked my new Iphone in the sea an hour before after pushing overweight Russian passengers off the sand in the boat that is leaving Kodunsai. I should be very unhappy but there is so much wonder surrounding me, I can’t wipe the smile from my face.
It is Saturday evening, and Spring Valley has a moveable feast spread through the gardens of the resort. There are eight stations each with a Khmer chef and waitress to meet your every need, it’s a visual feast. So instead of being overwhelmed by vast quantities of food before you, you have this one on one experience with the chef. He cooks whatever you want from the food that sits between himself and you. You wander back the dining room, cocktail in your hand. Miles Davis playing in the background. Consume your feast. And all for $15. If life gets better than this, I don’t care…this will do very nicely thank you. Sated in every way.
Then an engagement with strangers, this night it was his Edgar and his partner who live just outside Baden Baden in Germany. We start with just small talk as one does, but quickly the conversation moves from the superficial to the great metaphors that drive all of us and make my heart sing. I am lonely for my wonderful wife and my two children, but Edgar’s stories distract me from my aloneness. Time slips by too quickly, we say goodnight. We each slip back to our beautiful rooms. Pristine clean white sheets, the aroma of frangipani and lemongrass and the best bed I have slept in since I left home in Tasmania four weeks ago.
I wake the next morning at 7.30 am . Bundle up my dirty washing and deliver it to the neighbouring laundry and cruise back to the dining room room for the complimentary breakfast. Usually coffee and a cigarette is my morning repast but there before me is Cinzia’s freshly baked pepper bread , the fresh green pepper grown in the garden. Fresh fruit , papaya, mango, bananas grown without all the pesticides that we Australians are guilty of placing on them. Ratanakiri coffee, that cures my brain of all the excesses from the night before. The joyous sound of kids laughing as their small stomachs are topped up with lots of delicious.

Room Tip: I am in one of the tower rooms on the first floor. the view is : I am sorry I can't think of a h...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
originunknown, Guest Relations Manager at Spring Valley Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
We want to thank you for your wonderfully positive review of Spring Valley Resort and our restaurant-- Mr. Mab...very delicious. It's always good for us and our entire staff to know that our efforts for our guests are appreciated. Thanks especially for your comments about our Street Food Saturday Night--we also think it is great fun to eat these Cambodian culinary treasures in the setting of our tropical garden, talking to the cooks at each station. It is the highlight of the week for guests, staff, and management! I want only to correct your pricing information. It's really only US$12 per person for the Saturday night garden party.
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I had a really pleasant stay here. The hotel has had a couple consultants helping them for awhile and it really shows through the staff's professionalism. At one point I thought we had an attempted break-in, but it turns out it was just a gecko who jumped through a hole in the screen and ruffled the curtains a little. We didn't realize that at first, and the staff took this incident seriously and had their security guard do some extra patrolling of the grounds, double checking everything. Also, the staff let me know what they were doing to solve the problem as they were working on it.

For a reasonably priced guest house in Cambodia, this level of service is unexpectedly refreshing. Another poster laments the lack of a tub in their room. I guess he/she didn't read the description of the room before choosing to stay here.

My only gripe is similar to another poster, which is that the fitted sheets on the bed come undone really easily. They should be replaced with ones that actually stay on.

Anyway, it's easy to dine at this restaurant or go out, the ambiance is nice, and the included breakfast is very good. I was also impressed with the cleanliness of the pool. With all the plants around, I would expect to see some leaves in there, but I saw none! I would recommend Spring Valley to my friends.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

The property is located close to The Kep National Park, and not too far from the main beaches of Kep.

Our room was very basic. The lighting was poor. Bathroom basic with a shower head located in the bathroom not even a shower basin or tub. Only 2 bath towels, no hand towels. One of the biggest complaints that i had was that they didn't have fitted sheets on the bed and one twist or turn you undid your bed.

No TV. No Safe. Spotty internet.

The pool was very nice however the decking was small so in some places you had to be careful not to fall in. Vegetation a bit over grown and could be cut back to help the situation in places.

Could get drinks in pool area but needed to ask. Hotel staff could have been on the ball better.
They have dinner specials everyday, however if I had a hotel in a town known for it's crab I would make sure that every night there was crab on the menu. That is one of the reasons we went to Kep and the reason we chose to dine elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Launceston, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Have ben to Kep 4 times over last 6 years and this is best place we have stayed. The units are situated around the grounds of an old fruit orchard and hence there is privacy. The pool is a good size and clean.
Staff are friendly,most of them understand English very well and go out of their way to be of assistance.
We dined twice at the restaurant and was impressed both times. Breakfast is set out as smorgasbord with staff ready to cook fresh pancakes and your eggs anyway you want them cooked. The bread is home made ( including chocolate and peppered) and delicious first thing in the morning.
The only thing we could be critical about is that the beds are very very hard and the pillows are very very high and hard.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Spacious rooms in well-spread out lodges. They're not fancy, wet rooms rather than separate showers in the bathrooms. But my room was clean with a/c and a comfortable bed. The lush garden is a wonderful antidote to the heat. Kep's beach is pretty but the bay is not clean enough to swim in, so a decent pool is a must. This is tranquil with nice sunbeds and a relaxed drinks service. There are some great points about Spring Valley. The street food menu is fun and I definitely tried things I hadn't on the rest of my trip. There's also a decent wine list, thanks to the influence of a fabulous New York Italian former chef who is consulting there. It was by far the best breakfast of my trip - staying in similarly priced places. Fresh crepes and fantastic bread. There's not much choice is accommodation in Kep and I think you couldn't go far wrong here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Spring Valley Resort? Share your experiences!