“Great value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 39 Kep B&B and Inns
London
“Great value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

When we arrived at Kukuluku it was a ghost town, no one at all was there. We took a look round and inspected some rooms, the pool, the beach and then bumped into a young girl that called the manager for us. We got a small room, fan only, for $10. The price on the blackboard inside said $15 but we haggled to $10. For the first night I'm pretty sure we were the only guests, low season I guess, but it was great having the swimming pool, pool table and beach to ourselves. I highly recommended checking it out if you are in Kep, also avoid Tree Tops, they tried to charge us $15 for the worst bungalow I've ever seen.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 2 nights at kukuluku in may. I found the kukuluku looking around with a tuk tuk. My budget was tight so for me the dorm was the ideal solution: 6 $ but I had 1$ discount (maybe because it was low season and I was the only customer that day!). The dorm is basic but comfortable (big bed and spacious even if there is not place to put your stuff- I used the other bed since was empty-) and it has a balcony with a wonderful view on the sea where you can enjoy amazing sunsets!

The staff is very nice: the owner Fabrice is a French expat and thanks to his influence the kitchen offers a great choice of very yummy crepes! There are some Khmers working and the guy Patrek was helpful for booking boat trip, motorbike rent and bus ticket. I was a solo traveler so the staff entertained me, but if you prefer they'll let you on your own.

I really liked the yard, a very relaxing garden in front of the beach with a small pool where you could chill out after a day of visiting.

My suggestion is to rent a motorbike so you can easily reach all the hot spot of kep (crab market and some nice piers).

I would recommend if you are not looking for a grand hotel! (In my opinion dorm is a better price/quality combo in kukuluku). I read that someone complained about rats and insects. I didn't see any: only many gekos and ants, but if I had seen some cockroaches or spiders I wouldn't be surprised! Come on folks! We are in cambodia! Relax!

• Stayed May 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have travelled to Kampot many times and always stay in a bungalow on the river, perhaps my most fond experience of Cambodia, so when I decided to come to Kep and stay in a bungalow on the beach, I did not expect it to be a concrete room in the carpark. I was disappointed to say the least, especially as it cost more that it does in Kampot.

The bathroom was overrun with ants, something I usually have no problem with as it makes for fun target practice while visiting the little boys room, however these ants were something else, they were huge and could swim, quite well infact. Flush them down the plug hole they would just effortlessly crawl back out. It really was a battle, and I definitely was overpowered by them at one point.

There was no mosquito net, so me and my girlfriend ended up having a very uncomfortable bus ride back to Phnom Penh as we itched all over! The sheets were filthy, I'm quite tolerable of muck, but the sheets really were nasty, but the French owner was a really decent guys and got the staff to sort us out with some brand new sheets he had just bought. We ended up having a drink with him later on in our first night there, and he is a friendly chap, as are the rest of the staff there, I have not a bad word against them at all.

They have a wide selection of Rhum to try at the bar which was very decent, but the restaurant itself was a bit of a let down, none of the food was above average and I was genuinely insulted by the amount of bacon I received (see laughable picture) when I ordered it.

it's apparently a well loved place to go drink, but fromt he looks of things it's living off it's former glory, as the 3 nights we spent there there were not many punters visiting the bar.

I don't know why you'd bother using the pool it's a bit of a pond in the middle of the restaurant, I'd head out to the beach at the back and take it the great view, just make sure you don't step on a crab!

I was going to give it an average mark because of the staff, but the more I think about it, the more I realise how manky it was for the price I paid, I wouldn't go back at all, if I was in the area I wouldn't mind a drink there with the owner, but I definitely would not stay again.

Room Tip: don't be fooled by the bungalows, they're not beautiful thatched bungalows, they're horr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Is it just me that has a problem with rodents scurrying in my ceiling, leaving poop on our bed?
Is it just me that has a problem with murky brown water in the toilet?
Is it just me that has a problem with a toilet that doesn't flush?

Because of these things and a list of others, my wife and I had to flee after the first night. Not only did we flee the guest house, but we parted ways with $50 (WE HAD BOOKED FOR 3 NIGHTS).

I booked this hotel through Agoda and specified a certain double room with aircon. When we got there, the front desk woman found our name, and then proceeded to tell the worker (in Khmer, which I understand) to put us in ANY available room. Granted, admittedly, she had only been working there a couple weeks.

We were taken to a hut, which (#1) did NOT have aircon, and (#2) was NOT the same room as the photo showed on Agoda. When I told her that this did not appear to be what we had specified, we were taken to another room which DID have aircon, but, was quite dark and did not match the picture of the requested room, along with smelling slightly of mold. Finally, we were taken to the top floor where there is one much larger room that looked like the photo of the room we had requested.

Problem solved? Absolutely not. This room had a toilet that did not flush and a patio door that was not capable of closing. The door issue presented three problems. First, we no longer had real security from the outside. Second, this would allow mosquitoes into the room. Third, much of the air from the aircon would just spill outside.

We requested to be taken to one more room which was much like the second one we'd seen. The aircon DID work, but the room smelled moldy - which I have zero tolerance for. Also, the water in the shower collected in the middle of the floor instead of in the drain. The complimentary drinking water we received made my wife gag and almost spit it out.

Since I had bothered the poor worker so much, I gave up when our toilet stopped working after the first flush. But the thing that really made me "check out" was the rodents running around above our bed. How could this be, you might ask? It's because the ceiling in this room (#5) had burlap bags attached to it. Why? Yes, that was my question. If it was an attempt to create a burlapish atmosphere, then they succeeded. My hunch is that these were an "artsy" way to cover up stains or cracks in the ceiling. At any rate, small scurrying creatures were up there and terrorized us all night.

At one point I told my wife I had to get outta there before I freaked out. Stepping outside I met the owner (who now has an extra two days of my money) and I told him about the creatures. He quite casually told me that there are animals all around, so I should not be surprised !

Before booking, I never bothered to read the abysmal reviews about this place. Not sure why, I might have avoided it. I believe that this hotel suffers from a major management problem. For $5 more per night, we could have stayed (and DID end up staying) at a brand new guesthouse which is super clean and a one minute walk to the crab market (instead of 15-20 minutes).

Room Tip: If you still desire to go there, avoid room 5 !!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
PARIS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

This the worst experience I ve ever had in all my trips!
Wanted something not too pricey, clean, simple and nice for our backpackers honey moon in Cambodia where i m originally from and we did not get any of this!
They charge you 25 bucks for a room with parking view, cold water and fan, I don't think the horrible gross French boss realize he is in Cambodia for over pricing the dirty room we had!
I wouldn't recommend ever, the only thing I would advise is for all the guides to not recommend this place!
The swimming pool is nice if you have kids I think but for adults forget it, way to small and not deep at all!
I would highly suggest you guys to support Khmer people and enjoy your stay at Lida guest house for 8$, this Cambodian family is really nice and chill, they don't really speak English but will always make an effort to understand you.

• Stayed February 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

The rooms were old and bad, the sheets and laundry dirty. Air con didn't work in one room so moved to another and always cut out. Food mediocre. The beach is small and gate locked. So many better places in Kep.

• Stayed December 2012
berlin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Pool-ok. Grounds-ok. Staff-extremely nice. Views-nice. Rooms-shabby and not very clean. Price too high for what you get. Payed for AC, but it was not working. Location is good, but you will need a bicycle to go to Kep town and you will pay more than elsewhere for renting a bike in a very bad condition from them (go accross the street, much cheaper and in much better condition). If you book a trip to Rabbit Island, don't believe the "secure" and "unsecure" boat options (of course you are beeing charged more for the "secure" option)- everyone ends up on the same boat anyway. The owner was quite frustrating and wouldn't turn down music untill 3 am despite asking. I would give two points, like I did in my last review due to the fact that the staff is SO nice and helpful and the pool is quite nice. That review got deleted from the owner after only a day and the eccentric owner sent me some threatening emails afterwards, so now I would rather give NO points at all.
So, if you are looking for quiteness and relaxation for a good value, go elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Kukuluku Beach Club? Share your experiences!