“Fantastic, family friendly GH” 5 of 5 stars

Bokor Mountain Lodge
Riverside, Kampot, Cambodia   |
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Kampot
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Fantastic, family friendly GH”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife and I wanted to take a break from the hustle-n-bustle of Phnom Penh for a few days and decided to stay at the Bokor Mountain Lodge. We also bought along my wifes siser and niece.

From the moment we arrived, we felt welcomed and were not pressured into any touristy activities as some other people have mentioned. Check-in was quick and easy, the rooms were ready and clean, very spacious and had everything we needed.

The owners, Eric and his wife, and their 2 wonderful children, were very helpful, welcoming and friendly. Whenever we were eating a meal, one of the staff members would look after our 3 month old daughter for us...it felt like we were welcomed as a part of the family.

The food was amazing, I particulalry enjoyed the Sunday roast lamb special, and my wife thoroughly enjoyed all of the seafood specials on offer. The beer, and other beverages were always cold and refreshing.

I will definitely return to stay here and recommend it to other travellers with families.

Many thanks to Eric and your family for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

A one night stay in Kampot turned into 3 in part due to the relaxed atmosphere of Bokor Mountain Lodge. The staff were ultra helpful and even changed bookings made by another agent and booked accommodation for us at our next destination nothing in it for them just good old fashioned service. There is a bar and cold beer on tap downstairs but if your after a bit more a bona fide Irish bar is just next door which is getting a rep for making a mean bloody mary.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Decided to stay here due to the great location, we originally thinking of staying somewhere cheaper, but once we stayed the first night we decided to extend our stay by a further three nights. Eric and his family were lovely, and very welcoming! His right hand man Chunta will organise tours, mopeds anything you want, we didn't have to stress over anything! The food is amazing, breakfast which was included in the room rate was so delicious and filling! Sunday roast was mouth watering! We had a front room and were not bothered by any noise. The only negative was that whilst there is aircon in the rooms its not that strong, but hey we are in Cambodia lets not forget where we are. Cambodia is prone to electricity cuts, water outages etc, you just gotta role with it!

Room Tip: This isn't a room tip, but more a bar tip! Two doors down from Bokor is Oh Neills Irish Bar. Wor...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sihanoukville, Cambodia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is another place that I got from good old Lonely Planet that turned out to be a dud. Mind the place has great potential given the building and its location, but the staff exhibited many of the bad aspects of the tourism industry here.

I read reports that the owner is a great bloke, but we only saw him one of the 3 nights we were there. The room stank when we arrived.

The manager is a local. As soon as we got there he started on my Cambodian girlfriend in Khmer, trying to flog a boat cruise on the river where you get to see the sunset. Now anyone who's been to the tropics during the wet season knows that the odds of seeing sunset are not good. By the time the venture was explained to me in English, dearest had been talked into it as it would be romantic. As it turned out, there was no sun and it was quite cold (for Cambodia) on the way back. A rip off.

The next day this guy asks me if we to do a trip up Bokor Mountain into the National Park etc. I told him that I would speak to my girlfriend and we would decide. I then went to the ATM in the middle of town. When I returned the guy told me that he's spoken to my girlfriend and she wants to go. So I came up with the cash for the tour. Then when I spoke to the girl, I discovered that the guy has told her that I really want to go. So he's scammed us for another $26 that we didn't want to spend.

But the real clanger was when we checked out. I booked the hotel on booking.com. The price was $29 a night. But when we checked out, it became $35. I didn't have a paper copy of the booking, which is my stupidity, but you really don't expect stunts like that. When I tried to get the person at reception to check the booking, her English skills disappeared.

I won't be back there,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I will start this by saying i hate giving anywhere a bad review unless its warranted. This place is in a good location but so are many other nice ones in kampot and for a fraction of the price. I paid usd 30 for a room i barely slept in due to noise from an adjoining bar, the window being broken so it was shaking all night and building works got me up at the crack of dawn. The electricity was gone in the town when i got up that morning and for some reason this affected the water in the hotel. I couldnt even wash my face or flush the toilet before i checked out. The thing that irritated me the most was the lack of apology for the fact i paid usd 30 for no sleep and no shower the next day. I was even charged for a bottle of water on checking out after i had complained!!! Shocking customer service. This place is not worth the pricetag. Shop around!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed at Bokor Mountain Lodge for 3 nights and I was very very happy with my stay. The staff are all excellent and very helpful. The owner, Eric, was a top gentleman who made everyone feel welcome. The room was good, the service was excellent, good location, the food is great and I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay in Kampot. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I recently stayed at Bokor Mountain Lodge and had a very pleasant experience. The owner actually drove my friends and I from Phnom Penh to Kampot because he happened to be in town when we were coming. He, his wife, and all of his staff were incredibly helpful and always made sure that we had plans for the day.

We stayed in the family suite which had one queen bed and 2 single beds. The bathroom was okay, but not the most updated, and it was a bit loud at night because of the bar next door. It was a comfortable room though, and we didn't have any problems otherwise.

The restaurant offered great food and the breakfast (which was included with our room) was really amazing! There were lots of options and we all tried something different everyday. Only wished we had a few more days to keep on having their breakfast!

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the front! There are only 6 rooms in the hotel though
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Bokor Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!