“This place is quiet and relaxed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mea Culpa Kampot

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kampot
Mea Culpa Kampot
You added Mea Culpa Kampot to your Saves list
44 Sovansokar | (behind Governor’s Mansion), Kampot, Cambodia   |
Ranked #2 of 49 Kampot B&B and Inns
Mudgee, Australia
“This place is quiet and relaxed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This place is an excellent choice if you want a quiet retreat to come home to at the end of the day. Yes, it is at the edge of town (only about a 15 minute walk along the river front to the main tourist area; we had motorbikes), but for me that was part of the attraction. Frankly, the centre of Kampot is a bit noisy at night for my taste. Rooms are clean, nicely decorated and represent good value for money. Personally I found the mattress a bit tired, but it is worth noting I like bedding plush and no one else in my family had a complaint. The only quibble was that there was no blankets on the bed (only sheets), but I suspect they would have provided them if we had remembered to ask. A shared area upstairs had a fridge and tea and coffee making etc. Staff are very attentive (I noticed one reviewer found this annoying) and sweet - like a big family. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and owner. The grounds, while not expansive, are big enough to find a shady corner or for children to play without having to worry. The woodfire pizza is nice, as is the outdoor dining / bar area. Other guests were quiet and respectful. Overall I found it a relaxing and comfortable place to stay, and would probably stay again for this reason.

Room Tip: A new building is being renovated to provide more rooms next door.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I was familiar with Kampot from a brief visit in Summer 2010 but I had not stayed at the Mea Culpa before. I taught nursing at the Kampot nursing school for two weeks Summer 2012 and I made the Mea Culpa my Kampot home. Ben and his staff are wonderful. I had a very lovely room which was serviced daily and they provided me with laundry service at a very reasonable cost. I have arthritis and I need a cot mattress on top of most Cambodian hotel mattresses to get a reasonable night's sleep. When I shared this with Ben, he purchased one so that it was on my bed by the time I arrived. The cost of the purchase was nominal and it was such a blessing to have a comfortable bed waiting on me.

I highly recommend Mea Culpa. The food is wonderful: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Who would have thought that I would enjoy one of the best hot pastrami and cheese sandwiches I have ever had in Cambodia!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Phnom Pen, Phnum Penh, Cambodia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We've been to Kampot several times, but this was our first staying in town and at Mea Culpa. Considering the low price, I wasn't expecting very much, but it exceeded all my expectations. The rooms were beautiful and very clean. We had a double and single bed in our room, and the double bed came with 4 pillows and the single bed with 2 - gotta love all the extra pillows! The bathroom was also very clean, the water hot, and the towels large and fluffy, a rarity in Cambodia. It was a great place to stay with kids because there is a nice garden area and the restaurant has fresh, wood fired pizzas, so a quiet night of staying in for dinner is a real treat. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Perth australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We were recommended here and glad we were. We booked for three days and then added an extra night. Our first room was large and had two large beds and everything you could want. It was all spotless and they did a great job each day with the cleaning and supplying fresh towels. The aircon was good and the shower hot. The second room which we had for the one night, as the first room was booked for a long term booking, was excellent, with a king size bed and in the new section with its own balcony and a view through to the river. In a common area outside both rooms there was tea and coffee supplied throughout out the stay. The staff were always smiling and offering to help and the owner,Ben, was very helpful. He arranged a motorbike and when it had a small problem, he just had it replaced for us. He arranged transport for us from Kampot to Phnom Penh, by private car. We had been traveling for a while before we got here and took the opportunity to have the washing done. It was returned beautifully ironed and very clean for $2 a kilo. The guesthouse is a two minute walk from the river and about six minutes to the start of the shops and a restaurants on the front. So convenient enough to get to and far enough away to be very quiet around the street. A great place to stay. Now the negatives............None

Room Tip: Upstairs is best as there is balcony in the common areas that you can sit on.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here 2 nights recently and would definitely recommend it as a base for exploring Kampot or just relaxing on a weekend away.

Lovely shady trees and a variety of flowers are planted in the grounds of the property that's located just a short walk to the riverfront.

The rooms are tastefully decorated with comfy big beds, clean soft sheets and good pillows - a rare treat in this price range! Bathroom has hot water with good pressure and both a/c and fan options in my room were useful
to cool off after a walk by the river.

I didn't use the restaurant, but staff were attentive and had good English which made communication easy.

• Stayed September 2012
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Stayed 4 nights in Kampot. The guesthouse is very clean, well-run, my room on the second floor was spacious but the only slight negative was the size of the bathroom and no shower curtain. The cleaner made the bed, made sure bottles of water were replaced and generally did a good job.

This is for a mid-range traveler; you won't see any miserable penny-pinching backpackers here as it's $20 a night without breakfast. At that price it would have been nice to be offered at least a simple breakfast but it's not included.

The pizzas make the place but the breakfasts are very good, especially the bread. The downstairs area is a good place to relax and some good chill-out music is played to add to the already relaxing atmosphere.

I would probably stay in a riverside guesthouse next time, but that's got nothing to do with any problems with Mea Culpa.

Decent coffee is offered for free, and there's WIFI right through the place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Mea Culpa is a nice place to stay in Kampot. Its about a 10 min walk from the "town centre". The rooms were spacious and clean; air con, fan, tv/dvd player. Staff were very friendly. Overall Mea Culpa is a nice place to stay however food and accommodation are slightly on the pricey side ($20 per night - accommodation).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mea Culpa Kampot? Share your experiences!