“2 Nights are not enough!” 5 of 5 stars

Oliver's Camp, Asilia Africa
3.5 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Tarangire National Park, Tanzania   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cape Town, South Africa
“2 Nights are not enough!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

The Camp is in immaculate condition. It is evident that the running of the camp is handled with pride and the utmost of care. Ken & Michelle are wonderful hosts and their passion for wildlife photography is truly inspiring! Their images of cats and caracal in particular are so very good. We had spent a night fly camping (and being on foot close to Elephants) which is highly recommended. This is one of those experiences you do not want to miss out on. I wish I could have stayed a week.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Orange County
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Tarangire NP is lovely but beware the tsetse flies! This things bite. When you swat them you only stun them and hack them off. They are insanely hard to kill.

I really enjoyed this place. We flew in from Arusha (20 minute flight) met our guide Julius (named for the first president of Tanzania, Julius Nyerere) and were off on a game drive. After the morning drive we arrived to a warm welcome at camp and lunch. Followed by another drive that afternoon. Beware, on the afternoon drive it rained on us. The rain is fine but the flies know it is going to rain before you do and they get really aggressive trying to get that last meal (your blood) before the rain comes. My wife and I had 50+ bites on us. Once it started to rain the flies disappeared.

Oliver’s Camp’s vehicles are open so the bugs get you. There appears to be netting that folds down. I assume it is used when the flies get really bad.

We had the opportunity to do the walking safari in camp, affectionately called the “Trees, tracks and t--- (ryhmes with birds and I can't beleive Tripadvisor would not let me post until I changed this word) walk.” I was too tired to go and napped away a perfectly good afternoon. I rallied to make the night game drive here. That was fascinating. We saw Bat Eared Foxes, Gannet Cats, Wild Cats and Chervils. Turns out we saw Bat Eared Foxes and Chervils during the day as well, but still very cool.

Two days of game drives and we saw: Impala, Thompson Gazelle, elephants, giraffes, vervet monkeys, Cape buffalo, terrapins, Leopard Tortoise, 50+ kinds of birds and waterbuck. We heard but did not see the lions.

Three travel tips:

If you are interested in horses ask Ken about his Jackaroo Days in Australia. He has some great stories.

Ask Ken about photography tips. He is a professional photographer and working on a book. (I am certain it will be fantastic). He will help you get better pictures.

Lastly, if it is within your budget, fly between camps. We met many fellow travelers that drove between camps along hot dusty bumpy roads. They were flat worn out by the driving between camps, let alone facing more driving time to see game. Safari can by physically challenging. It is nice to avoid long car trips between camps if you can afford it.

Room Tip: Tent #2 has a pride of lions that like to nap on the deck. This can be good fun or terrifying or bo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Corona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I couldn't wait to get to Olivers this year, where I spent two lovely nights. As a travel agent, I'm anxious to see most of the properties before I book them. Olivers was outstanding. Having seen it while it was being built, I wanted to see and experience the finished product. OMG, I was a happy camper. I read what someone said about the tse tse flies, but if you don't go because of them, you will be missing out on a fabulous experience. The tents are spacious, and beautifully appointed. The drive is long to get there, but well worth it because of all the sightings along the way. It's a beautiful area with all the baobab trees greeting you at every turn, and then to get there and have the luxury that awaits you - is absolutely worth it. The food is outstanding, Ken and Shelle run a great camp, and are as involved with the guests as are the accommodating, warm and friendly staff. The food is incredible, showering under the stars, and waking up to the beauty that surrounds you and is plainly visible through the light screen, this is Africa at it's best. I'm planning 2013 safaris now and hope to include this property on my itinerary. This safari experience should be on everyone's radar if they go to Tarangire, overall, I think it's the best camp in that area. My driver had told me and knows Paul Oliver, and gave me the history, and you know sometimes, knowing the history behind something, makes your visit all the more exciting and interesting. Travel agents should have this in their list of outstanding camps, and travelers should inquire about it, flies or no flies, the experience is well worth it. Thanks Ken and Michelle, Didi and all the staff who made my stay so great and provided impeccable service. THREE nights minimum next time. For SURE.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

The tsetse flies are very aggressive here. Think mosquito x 1,000 ! I would recommend only a short stay as these flies really spoil the experience driving to and from the camp. We had a long drive to get to the animals but I understand this varies with the time of year.
Food was great - too much though.
I loved the outdoor shower. One criticism only in that our towels were hung outside by staff in the shower enclosure and were not replaced with dry ones after it rained.

• Stayed February 2012
AsiliaAfrica, Manager at Oliver's Camp, Asilia Africa, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are happy to hear you have enjoyed your stay at our camp, but of course regret the inconvenience you experienced from the tse tse flies.

We acknowledge they can be around, especially this time of year. They are a natural phenomenon which is unfortunately encountered in the middle of the bush. Besides the real annoyance they can cause for people, one of their few positive effects is that by keeping the cattle out tse tse flies actually help ensuring the existence of many game parks. During the dry season (mid-June to mid-November) usually the flies are not a problem. However, from mid-November onwards - when the area is getting regular rain - the grass grows higher and the foliage comes back; a perfect combination for tse tse flies.

Normally we are successful in minimizing downsides for our guests; however we cannot guarantee that there aren’t any flies around, unfortunately. At the camp our guests can sit around the lounge and enjoy the day beds on the deck of their tent without any flies being around. But when going out on game drives they can be in the area and we encourage our guests to roll the windows up for the first 10-15 minutes of their drive.

Regarding the towels; we raised your feedback with the camp management and they will ensure this oversight will not happen again. On behalf of the camp managers, our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,

Marleen Haverkamp
Asilia Africa | Marketing Manager
Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

My husband and I had our first Safari experience staying at Oliver's Camp. And it was overall my favorite accommodation during our trip to Tanzania. The tents were well sealed from insects, the only way you get insects in the "room" is if you leave the door open. I was also concerned about privacy, especially with the outdoor shower, but the way the tents are placed makes you feel that your tent is the only one in the whole area! The staff is courteous and always called out before reaching the tent's entrance.

The food was excellent. It has that home-made quality that you don't get bored of. I got home cooked food every single day! That was nice, especially since I don't get the time to cook back at home as often as I'd like.

Ken and Michele, the camp managers, were absolutely wonderful. And we had the opportunity to dine with some lovely guests as well. Marcus, took us on a walking adventure not too far from the camp. It reminded me of when I used to go out for walks with my siblings in the forest, when we were much younger. He knew the bushes and paths like my brothers and I knew "our forest" back then. Julius was a cool guide. We had some bumpy rides, but it was all fun.

Oliver's Camp is a place I'd definitely return to on any given day :-)

London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

My wife and I jut returned from a three week trip to Tanzania. Among our other adventures, we spent a week on safari and visited Tarangerie National Park. We had booked one night at Oliver's Camp in Tarangerie and after a very exciting but long day of driving, we arrived in paradise. From the moment of arrival, Oliver's Camp, the staff and the scenery lived up to every expectation. Ken and Michelle, the managers, are welcoming, friendly, informative... the staff were helpful and always at the ready without being intrusive. The facility itself is beautifully constructed and the tents, oh the tents... These tents are cleaner, more welcoming and more comfortable than many hotels I have stayed at in Canada. What a pleasure to walk into our room and feel so comfortable and at home. As many reviews have have pointed out, the showers at Olivers Camp are a true luxury. They are outside but very private. There is no shortage of water, hot water was plentiful, and after our week of roughing it on Mount Kilimanjaro, this shower was just what we needed to rejuvinate our bodies and minds. Sounds corny, but it is true! The view from our tent was inspiring and we enjoyed the opportunity to just look out into nature and to awaken to such beautiful scenery.

Food at Olivers was delicious and dinners are accompanied by rather nice choices of wine (thanks Ken). Guests eat together at one large table which is a real pleasure and opportunity to share and expand one's horizons.

We did a night drive with Alex, the onsite guide, and we would highly recommend this experience. We saw animals that we would not otherwise have come across and to just stop the vehicle, shut off the lights and listen to the the world around.... incredible. Thank you Alex. On a side note, Alex is a friendly person and an informative and passionate guide. We enjoyed our dinner chat very much and enjoyed sharing stories with Alex.

Our only regret concerning Oliver's camp is that we did not stay for more than one night. When we return to Tanzania we will book a minimum of two nights at Oliver's and our schedule will be as follows... Game drive in... enjoy the camp and dinner... walking safari with Alex in the morning.... enjoy the camp in the afternoon... night drive with Alex and ranger... enjoy late dinner and tent... game drive out of the park the next day. There you have it. The perfect Tarangerie schedule.

Thank you Ken, Michelle, Alex, and staff. We look forward to a return visit.

T & C, Ontario, Canada

Room Tip: Room #7 was just far enough away from main lodge for privacy and peace.
Napa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

My husband & I stayed here for 2 nights . It was a long drive to this camp from Arusha but it was worth it. We were met by Ken, manager of the property and then a staff ushered us to our tent. We had tent # 6 and had the most beautiful views of the marsh. The tent is covered by traditional thatch roof and it has an outdoor shower (very private) with indoor toilet & wash facilities. No water shortage!!!Guests gathers around the campfire before dinner.
Staff are great ,very helpful. I went for a walking safari and I felt very safe with my 3 guides.
Food was very good .
Ken & Michelle are both great . Thanks for the memories !!! We will recommend Oliver's Camp to our friends.

Room Tip: tent # 6 is close to the reception area.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Oliver's Camp, Asilia Africa? Share your experiences!