“A Little Worn” 3 of 5 stars

Embassy Suites Greensboro - Airport
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   204 Centreport Drive, Greensboro, NC 27409   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
20% Off Advance Purchase!
Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in Greensboro
Charlotte, NC
“A Little Worn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

I was on an assignment in the Triad and stayed at this hotel for 3 nights (2 nights the second week and 1 night the third week). I got a really good government rate of $87/night. The staff was okay, not overly friendly, but not rude. I especially liked the bartender since she made me a special drink - they call it the Ruby Oh. Try it, it's good and fruity. I really like the free cocktail reception for guest. They use cheap liquor, but it's free. They have buffet offerings that include fresh fruit, eggs, bacon, sausage, and hash browns, among other things. But they will also prepare for you eggs any way you like, waffles, omelets, and pancakes. I always get an omelet, they're so delicious. In another section of the breakfast area, they have cold and hot cereals, breads, and beverages (juice, milk, soda, coffee, tea, and cocoa). I think the breakfast is the best part of this hotel. Honestly, I wouldn't stay at this hotel if it wasn't for the breakfast. The rooms are really worn out. The bathroom was dingy, the towels weren't fluffy, and the shower looked a bit grimy. I made the mistake of looking up at the ceiling...ewww! They really need to put some money into this property and renovate - lay down some new carpet to start with, put some fresh paint on the walls, redo the bathrooms, get new beds. Like I said, if it wasn't for the good breakfast, I wouldn't have stayed there.

• Liked — Bartender and Omelet Chef
  • Disliked — Dirty Rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2008

we like Embassy Suites, BUT BOY DID WE BOMB OUT WITH THIS ONE. We were checking in on a Friday and there were people everywhere. They were having a wedding rehersal that consisted if live loud music in the atrium that you could hear everywhere in the hotel even in your bedroom with the door shut. There was also a very large family reunion with hundreds of people everywhere. I have never seen or been to any hotel that allows these crowded noisy events in the atrium showing no regard what so ever for other guests. Before you ever stay here, ask about event and how full the hotel is. It was not sold out this day but was a madhouse and elevator waits were half an hour each way.

The PLUS SIDE ws the front desk manager understood and helped us find another hotel, 1 hour in that place was too much.

Stayed July 2008
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

This place was such a dump. The bathroom ceiling had mold growing on it. I just happened to notice it as I was brushing my teeth and looked up on the mirror. But it gets better, when I went to the pool you could actually see a film on the water. I would rather sleep on a park bench then sleep there again.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Checking in
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
washington dc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

I travel to Winston Salem occasionally for business and stay at the downtown Marriott which is a lovely hotel -- very recently renovated.

I do not normally stay at Embassy Suites chain, but I do occasionally.

I recently attended a wedding in Greensboro area and so we checked into the hotel on Friday. The first warning sign: I was asked to sign a waiver that I would not have a party in the room. Not the way I am typically welcomed at hotels....

Bottom line is this. I was told by a staffer that their business travel is way off due to the economy (I did not want to argue, but I don't know why someone would stay here for business when the Marriott Winston Salem is so much nicer).

So, they are reaching out to family business. This means, pack four to six in the "suite," they run around the hotel in their bathing suits, clogging the elevators, and swamp the complementary breakfast and complementary happy hour. I am sure the economics look pretty good for these families and that's fine with me, but for a chain that purports to cater to business travelers, you'd be well warned in advance of what business line this hotel is pursuing. The complimentary breakfast is disgusting -- you'll get better breakfast in a residence inn in indiana. I actually cannot recall a breakfast this bad in my years of near-weekly travel. It was like a mob scene. They've got a yellow cone by the juice machine because there is so much spillage. Some "guest" knocks it over and then just kicks it away ten feed with his foot. Nobody looks at him like this is strange -- they are all just trying to get to the juice machine with their plastic cups.

Rooms are OK -- I would say 2/3rds of the way thru amortization.

My car was broken into. Manager on duty said it is very rare. Greensboro Police say it happens all the time at this hotel. I learned from the facilities guy that one side of the building has cameras -- other side where I parked does not. Of course, they are too busy telling you not to throw a party in your room to tell you to park on the camera side where the employees know to park.

I've seen some positive reviews here, and I am frankly a but mystified, but perhaps the family quotient is much lower during the week.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2008

We were in North Carolina for furniture shopping. The Embassy Suites at Greensboro was perfect for our night before we flew home. It has everything, a restaurant, free reception in the evening, breakfast was included and they have an airport shuttle. So we were able to return our car in the evening then catch a ride back to the hotel for relaxation. We stay often at Hilton properties, so since the occupancy was low we received a bump up to the next better room. Thanks Hilton! That's just good business as far as I am concerned.
The rooms are clean, updated. Nothing was warn. Bedding was excellent. Clean and pressed nicely. Everything worked in the room and the a/c was quiet and efficient. Everything you want in a hotel room. Great light, lots of room in the bathroom...again very CLEAN, spacious closet, and a little refrigerator. You know how usually in hotel rooms the refrigerator will barely chill? The one at the E.S. was super cold.
Reception staff was extremely polite and accomodating.
The common area is a little worn, but clean. We are fine with that, because the positive points of the hotel far out-weigh the lobby needing a little update.
Wireless internet is $9.95 per 24 hours. We have seen at other hotels charge as much as $30.00 for internet (London). In the US we've seen it for $19.00 so we are fine with the $9.95 for an Mid-class hotel.
Stong recommendation.....We're happy and think you will be.

• Liked — CLEAN.....updated room. Friendly desk staff.
  • Disliked — Lobby a tiny bit worn...but not a big deal.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

Stayed here for a wedding recently and was very happy with the hotel. The rooms are great and very clean. Since it was my sone and I traveling the two room set up was perfect for us. Breakfast and a evening reception are included in the price of your room. The reception is a couple alcholic drinks per guest and some chip like snacks. The breakfast is great. They have anything you could want included cooked to order omelets, pancakes, waffles, etc. We also ate in the restaurant one evening and found it to be very good. The menu was limited and not inexpensive but quite nice. Pool on the premise seemed to be quite popular. As with any Embassy Suite rooms facing the atrium can be a bit noisy in the front room of the suite. We were on the top floor and although my son said he could hear some noise, in the bedroom I heard nothing.

• Liked — The convenience of the suite set up. Makes it easier to accomodate everyone.
  • Disliked — not centrally located
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2008

I stayed here on business for 5 nights. I am a frequent traveler and this Embassy Suites met all of my expectations based on other Embassy Suites I've stayed in around the country. Known for their hot, complimentary breakfasts, this ES did not disappoint. I only went to the complimentary Manager's Reception once, and largely because Yuengling was the only beer option when I went. Can't complain too much about that though - it's free, so it's your choice.

The fitness room was a pleasant surprise. For some reason, Travelocity indicated there was no fitness room available. I go to the gym regularly and was able to do most of my normal workout using the machines there (with a little creativity).

The rooms were fine. Having the refrigerator and microwave on a 5-day business trip was a big plus. The hotel's location puts it just minutes away from a lot of dining options, and if you're flying in/out of the Greensboro airport, it's very convenient to that as well.

The one unusual event was some severe weather (including a tornado) knocked out the power to the hotel Thursday night and the power stayed out through my checkout on Friday. There was backup power to the atrium area and one of the elevators, but there was no power in the rooms. The backlight on my Blackberry came in very handy. None of this was the hotel's fault - I think they did as much as they could for us guests - just the first time that's happened to me in a hotel.

• Liked — Hot complimentary breakfast, fitness room
  • Disliked — Manager's reception selections
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Embassy Suites Greensboro - Airport? Share your experiences!