“Had a good lunch and experience” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #457 of 775 Restaurants in Greensboro
Cuisines: Thai
“Had a good lunch and experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

My friends and I were the first ones to dine in on a Sunday afternoon. We were hesitant at first since the restaurant was empty with no customers. The waiter was nice and promptly took out orders. The four of us ordered some appetizers, which came out 1 at a time. We were hoping to have all our appetizers out at the same time so we could share it (we ordered 3 dishes: crab ragoon, dumplings and chicken wings). Besides the wait, food tasted good. They were well seasoned. The same also occurred with our entrees...slow and one at a time. The waiter occasionally came back and refilled our drinks, but not once did he ask us how our food tasted. So I'm taking away another star. I feel like it's always important to communicate with your customers. Overall, the place was clean. Good food. Service was not all that great. Price was affordable. I think I might return again and hopefully the service will have improved by then.

Greensboro, North Carolina
“Avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Our party had 4 different dishes that ranged from acceptable to really awful. Dishes ordered as medium hot were very mild. The ingredients did not look fresh, the same sauce came with three of the dishes. My own dish had a really disagreeable taste. I was worried about whether I would be sick later on. The service was slow although there were few people in the restaurant. The server never smiled ir tried to engage with us in any way. The menu was grubby which should have been a warning sign that attention to detail is not a prime concern for the owners.

• Visited July 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Summerfield, North Carolina
“Good food for the money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Ate here for lunch with our 2 kids. The service and food was very good for the price. This is not a fancy place.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Greensboro, NC
“I wanted to like, but couldn't.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My recent visit was on a Saturday night. There were only 3 occupied tables while we were there, but still, the service was agonizingly slow and the server (the only employee we ever saw) was noticeably absent from the dining room for the vast majority of our time there.

Though the restaurant was mostly empty, we were seated at a small table against the wall and there was a super-bright track light shining in my face the whole meal. Unpleasant. We would have asked to move, but the server wasn't available for extended periods of time and we didn't want to move without asking, so we stayed put.

I ordered a Diet Coke, which wasn't mixed right and tasted awful, so I asked for tea instead. The tea was weak and watery, but after placing the glass on the table, the server quickly walked away and didn't come back for a while, so I didn't have a chance to order something else. (And frankly, I didn't expect a better option.)

I hesitated to complain about the track light and the drinks, because the server, although friendly and smiling, seemed a little confused when we spoke to her. (Maybe a language barrier?)

I asked for ranch instead of peanut sauce with my salad, but it came with peanut sauce anyway and the server turned and walked away before I could say anything, disappearing in the back again for a long time, so my dinner companion ate it and I waited (for a long time) for my entree.

My dining companion's food arrived at the table long before mine. Acknowledging this, the server eventually brought out a complimentary bowl of soup with rice and tofu (my table mate had finished eating by this point). This was a nice gesture, and it was appreciated, but the soup smelled awful so I didn't eat eat it. My table mate tried a sip but quickly pushed it away.

My table mate's Crab Rangoon had very little crab. My entree (Jasmine rice with chicken), when it finally arrived, was OK but not great.

Compared to other local Thai restaurants (my favorite is Taste of Thai), the service was bad, the food was not as good and the prices were a bit higher.

On a positive note, the dining room was quiet and attractive and the server smiled a lot.

I really wanted to like Tara Thai, but there were too many negatives about the experience. My dinner companion called it, "The most disappointing dining experience I've had in years."

Not recommended. :(

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Greensboro, NC
“Good food. Very reasonably priced”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We enjoyed our lunch at Tara thai. We went in aware that lunch could take longer than usual. However, we were pleasantly surprised. Even with just two servers our food came promptly.
You don't end up spending too much as a soup and a spring roll come with every lunch entrée. We will definitely be back.

• Visited February 2013