“A Big Breakfast for a small Price” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Loveland, Ohio
“A Big Breakfast for a small Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I am prejudice. Yep, I admit it. Having grown up working in high school and college at a Greek-owned pancake house, I felt the only place you could get a REALLY good breakfast was at a diner or restaurant owned by Greeks. I like a good bowl of grits, real butter and every now and then splurge and have a big, greasy plate of bacon.

When my husband suggested we go to Smith Street Diner in Greensboro, NC for breakfast I agreed to go, of course with a closed mind. I would get my usual egg white omelette, whole wheat toast and fruit. Their logo reads "Open 8 days a week." Cute. Upon walking in, I immediately got the feel that this place was the real deal! It was very busy and when I started stalking peoples plates to see what the food looked like, I noticed biscuits the size of soup bowls!! Holy smoke, what was this place?

The menu was a blend of southern and good ole fashioned american food. I narrowed my choice down to 2 eggs, HOMEMADE corned beef hash, grits and yes, the biscuit. At the last minute I ordered orange juice and it's a good thing I did as it was fresh squeezed (over at the cash register you can watch the machine squeeze the oranges into the glass!)

I lined my butter up and waited. They were very busy, but the food did not take long to come. And there it was...the biscuit!! Because it was so big, I thought it was going to also be heavy. I am not sure how they make them but it literally was as light as a crescent roll. I lathered that thing up with butter, glopped my corned beef hash with catsup and topped the grits off with salt. I crushed it all and then washed it down with the fresh squeezed orange juice. It truly was the best traditional breakfast I have ever had. Did I mention it was only $6.95??!!!

If you live in or near Greensboro or you happen to be in town, you must make the trip to Smith Street Diner. You will not be disappointed.

I may have to rethink my prejudices now.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Glendale, Arizona
“Run there 8 Days a Week!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stood in line to get in, it was a drizzly New Years morning, but we met people and didn't mind. They have a couple small awnings to stand under or just inside the alcove. We had heard it was good, even from the singer in our New Year's Eve concert. Oh boy what a breakfast. And I almost ate every bite which I rarely do. The best for me was the sweet low pulp freshly squeezed OJ. I should have gotten a large. The cost is very reasonable. As busy as they were, they were hopping and happy. A good feeling within. PIg pictures on walls give it a light fun. Sure wish we had one of these back home.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nashville, Tennessee
“worth getting off the interstate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband and I try to stop at diners whenever we travel. This was a good find, even on a Sunday when the menu and hours are limited. I had a hamburger, ground from brisket and short ribs, and he had a bowl of gumbo. Both proved impossible to finish...both were very very good. We're looking forward to stopping during the week sometime for their vegetable plate, and other specials.

You will see a wonderful cross section of the population here. People dressed for church and people who may have just gotten out of bed, college students, middle aged and all ethnicities. Wait staff is friendly as are the patrons who have to wait outside for their names to be called...

All in all, they set the bar mighty high for diners.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Not My Diner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I have eaten at the Smith Street Diner several times. I would advise sticking to breakfast because the dinners and lunches are not that great. One time I had their barbecue which seemed to consist of a newly sauced chopped up pork roast. My kids don't really like their burgers either. This is too bad because the people who work there are very nice. I hear their fried chicken on Thursday special is good but I have not tried it yet...

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Don't go”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We went to the diner December 2, 2012 based on the Trip Advisor rating and while the biscuits were large they were not very good. I had the potato pancakes and they were just little greasy deep fried wafers the size of a silver dollar My husband had the homemade hash which was also very greasy. We never would have eaten there if I would have used the restroom first. I have a maxim that if the restroom is dirty the kitchen is probably similar! the bathroom at the diner was filthy with the toilet unusable and overflowing Do yourselves a favor and bypass the Diner!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere