“After work watering hole” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 775 Restaurants in Greensboro
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“After work watering hole”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

If you're looking for a great place to socialize and grab some drinks (especially on Wednesday for 1/2 price wine), you've come to the right place. If you're looking for a great place to have a nice dinner with your husband, you need to go elsewhere. My husband and I visited Cafe Europa on a Wednesday night around 6:15 pm. It was very crowded and our waitress stuck us at a tiny table where we bumped elbows with the people at the tables beside us. To my left there was a man whose rear end literally touched my husband's drink when he stood up to leave because our tables were so close. To my right there was a group of girls who talked to a waitress (who was on duty) for a good 15 minutes after our arrival. The waitress had her phone out, getting their numbers and chatting. It was so loud that I was having to yell at my husband so we could discuss the menu. The menu offerings did sound delicious, but I was sad to see that the menu in the restaurant was not the same as the one that I had read over on their website before we came. We ordered the crab dip, which was wonderful, and left to have a meal somewhere else. I noticed that there is a lot of outdoor seating available, so we may revisit when the weather is warmer and sit outside where there is much more room. I have heard good things about their brunch menu so perhaps we'll try visiting at another time of the day, too, to see if we like it more.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Greensboro, North Carolina
“Best value for reliable bistro food in Greensboro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Dependably good, great value. We love the patio in warm weather and the cozy inside when it's cold. Don't miss the beef Bourguignon on weekends. Great value-priced wine selection.

Visited March 2013
Wilson, North Carolina
“Great port in the storm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stopped in at Cafe Europa this past week during my 6-hour lay-over on Amtrak. This is the second time in about 3 years that I have done this. Both times I enjoyed the bar. It's an easy walk from the depot, and up on the main road downtown. next to City Center Park. In ambiance, the bar is incredibly beautiful in its use of beautiful wood throughout - bar and walls. The food is very good. The bar has a large selection of beer and wine - and Wednesday nights is 1/2 off all wines. The bar tenders are friendly and always open to a light-hearted conversation. Sitting at the bar and watching them banter with frequent visitors is like being in an episode of "Cheers." The owner - great guy - has owned this place since it opened 13 years ago. Enjoyed great conversation with him. The only drawback I can come up with is that it doesn't have internet. The owner doesn't want it. I assume he is thinking that not having it promotes face-to-face conversations. I am sure he is right. It's just that for someone on a 6-hour train lay-over, access to the internet would be nice, :). Of course, I know, there are other bars that do have it - but it will remain my choice to go to the Europa. Its atmosphere is well worth it.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Another one of my favorite spots”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The ONLY reason they did not get excellent is because their waitstaff has a tendency to be slow and hard to track down. However, I love coming on Wine Wednesday during the summer and Tuesday for mussels and on the random night for a drink or two.

Visited February 2013
Greensboro, North Carolina
“A Place for All Seasons”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Cafe Europa has a welcoming environment during all four seasons. The patio is fantastic for drinking and dining during the warmer months and the inside seating works well in the freezing cold and blistering heat. They have great mussels, a variety of tasty sandwiches, and two delicious vegetarian entrees: lasagna and spanakopita. A huge draw is what my friends and I call "Wacky Wine Wednesday" where all wine is half price. The staff is good about recommending wines to fit different peoples' palettes and it is fun to sample wines from various parts of the world.

• Visited November 2012