“Mostly great stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
WV
“Mostly great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

We stayed at the Proximity Hotel for a week-end trip. On check-in we were upgraded to a larger room with a view of the parking lot. The rooms are very comfortable and quiet. The refrigerator in the room made a loud hum and we had to unplug it. There are no drawers so your clothes will be stacked on a shelf. The location was easy to find and close to shopping centers. Wireless Internet is free and fast. The hotel restaurant Print Bistro was just OK. Service was excellent but food is not a destination stop. Our only service glitch in the stay was that the front desk staff gave us directions to a restaurant in Greensboro that had moved to another location. We never found the place and ended up somewhere else. Make sure you go to the Triad Theater for a performance as they do outstanding productions.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
north carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

I stayed at the Proximity for 1 night on Jan. 9th. From the first encounter with the staff, to my checkout it was an absolute pleasure.

Check-in: I called ahead b/c I'd arrived in town early before check-in and asked if I could check in early. The reservationist let me know that a room was available and not only that, gave me a complimentary upgrade to a center room! When I arrived, there was a large wedding party checking in, but the front desk staff kept the line moving and organized. I also received a nice surprise when they gave me a $30 amenities voucher that was good for the Print Works restaurant, the sundries shop, in-room dining and movies on demand.

Room: The room was fantastic! Three huge floor to ceiling windows (that open partially!) allowed enough natural light in to preclude the need for lamps until it was full dark outside. The room and bathroom were spotless and luxurious- beds are very comfy and bathrooms are complete with Aveda bath products. Also, a unique feature is that there is a 'living room' on each floor with a couple of couches, computer/printer station an honor bar cooler with beverags.

Green Hotel: This hotel is the greenest in the US, with a Platinum LEED rating which is one of the reasons I chose to stay there. The most interesting part is that the elevator actually produces its own electricity on the way down and uses the stored energy on the way up.

• Liked — Green accomodations
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Greensboro, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

We stayed here for the weekend and the accommodations and service were perfect. I wouldn't have changed a thing about it, from the service to the restaurant to the room amenities. This is a four-star hotel that's closer to a five star, but it especially reminds me of some of the finer boutique hotels in New York City. I love the "green" aspect of the hotel from the filtered air to the solar panels that heat the water. The fixtures in the bath were top of the line, and I loved the Aveda toiletries. The furniture was comfy, the room had plenty of lighting, although the two large floor-to-ceiling windows meant we rarely needed to use the lamps. The HDTV was a nice touch, as were the robes, mini fridge, and microwave. I was impressed that the hotel didn't charge for Internet. If you don't bring your laptop, there's a computer and printer on each floor. Refreshments are available for very reasonable prices at the honor bar on each floor or at the sundries shop in the lobby. The fitness center had great equipment with personal video monitors and headsets. There were also complimentary bike rentals, which was an excellent touch because there are great places to ride around here. Ask the front desk about the nearby "hospital trail" that runs between two of the hospitals in Greensboro. This is a popular jogging and biking trail in town and just a half mile from the hotel -- accessible entirely by sidewalk. Brunch and dinner at Print Works Bistro were great. The wine list is impressive, as was the knowledgeable staff.

• Liked — Eco-responsible
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Eden NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

Wow.. there is nothing like this hotel anywhere around. Clean Clean Clean.... Oh and by the way... the other reviewer that gave them bad ratings because they caught you smoking in the Smoke Free Green Hotel... Shame on you! I am a smoker and I would NEVER smoke in a hotel that tells me they will charge me $ if caught. You got exactly what you asked for! Good for them for charging you. Anyway.... Check out their website and you will get a much better deal or call the hotel direct. That is what I did.
Stay here and you will experience something special.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

I've stayed here twice and I live only 15 minutes away! My husband and I take weekend get-aways occasionally and several times we've stayed in town. We have stayed here and at the sister hotel, the O'Henry. They are two outstanding hotels. I'm writing about the Proximity but can rave about the O'Henry, too.
At this hotel, we were treated like very special guests. Every employee we encountered was friendly and gracious, the room seemed to sparkle, the food at the restaurant, Print Works, was delicious. There are computers with printers that actually work on each floor. As I was told by the manager, they don't just want to meet expectations, they want to exceed them.
This is a "green hotel" and, of course, has a contemporary design and feel. Go to www.proximityhotel.com to read about their sustainable practices and to see pictures.
Definitely check the website if you are going to stay here. They have specials. Check out the O'Henry, www.ohenryhotel.com, too. It has a very different feel and also has specials.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Machelen, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2008

Had a very good time. Very courteous staff throughout the hotel. Appreciate the free shuttle service (to the near vicinity) and the drivers are great to have a morning chat with. Did have some trouble operating the television set, and consider myself as someone who likes these high tech stuff.

• Liked — Service
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2008

We recently booked a two night reservation at the Proximity Hotel in Greensboro, N.C. We used the hotel's website to make the reservation. We arrived at the hotel and registered. The registration card included a "check box" that obligated the guests to refrain from smoking anywhere on property including all of the hotel rooms and the adjacent property with the exception of the parking lot. Failure to abide by this policy would result in a "clean up" fee of $250.00. No where on the website or on the room confirmation did it indicate that the hotel was a "smoke free" property. After a drive of many hours I checked the box and signed the registration card. My wife and I are casual smokers and were unhappy with the policy. We would not have reserved the room if we had been made aware of it. The Hotel is obviously misleading potential guests by not posting the smoking policy on the website and/or on their room confirmations.

At 4:00 am of the first night we were awakened by a party in the sitting area directly outside of our room. There was drinking and smoking (tobacco and marijuana). We asked them to reduce the noise and they cooperated. At 6 am my wife ran into the Manager on Duty in the hallway. She asked if we had been smoking. My wife indicated that the smoke smell was likely the result of the earlier hallway party.

The next morning we left our room at 11:50am to go shopping. We used the door tab to indicate that we required housekeeping. After returning at 2:00pm the room was untouched by housekeeping. I called the Front Desk and spoke with Emily. Emily was the same Manager on Duty that my wife met in the hallway at 6:00am. Emily apologized about the housekeeping error and went on to tell me that she had evidence that we had smoked in our room and that we would be charged $250.00 for "clean up". I did not deny having had a few cigarettes but did indicate that the party of the night before was likely the source of the smell. I was almost certain since the few times we smoked it was with our heads out the window making it very unlikely that smoke made it to the hallway. We left our room again to allow the delayed housekeeping and the room was ready approximately 3:00pm. After some thought we went to the Front desk and asked to speak with Emily. We indicated that we would not have made an issue of the noise/party but since they were being "by the book" regarding the "secret" smoking policy we felt we deserved compensation for the disruption in our sleep created by the party the night before.. They agreed to discount the room 50% for the night in question.

We received another call from Emily early the second night of our stay. She called to indicate that she would charge us another $250.00 "clean up" fee if we smoked the second night of our stay. How can she charge twice for the same "clean up fee"? Nothing was special was done to our room after the first night that had already been billed the extra $250.00. This was nothing but harassment.

In conclusion, many properties have elected to go "smoke free". However, they must be very clear that this is the policy to prevent potential smoking guests from making the mistake of booking rooms at their hotel. To do otherwise is misleading, unfair and should be punishable by compensation to the guest. Rules should protect all parties not just the hotel. It is a shame that our experience ruined what should have been a very enjoyable stay. I urge the Proximity Hotel to immediately edit the website to include their smoking policy (even the room description does not indicate that it is a non-smoking room).

• Liked — Property
  • Disliked — Management
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Proximity Hotel? Share your experiences!