“Perfect in every way” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Greensboro, NC
“Perfect in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

We stayed here for the weekend and the accommodations and service were perfect. I wouldn't have changed a thing about it, from the service to the restaurant to the room amenities. This is a four-star hotel that's closer to a five star, but it especially reminds me of some of the finer boutique hotels in New York City. I love the "green" aspect of the hotel from the filtered air to the solar panels that heat the water. The fixtures in the bath were top of the line, and I loved the Aveda toiletries. The furniture was comfy, the room had plenty of lighting, although the two large floor-to-ceiling windows meant we rarely needed to use the lamps. The HDTV was a nice touch, as were the robes, mini fridge, and microwave. I was impressed that the hotel didn't charge for Internet. If you don't bring your laptop, there's a computer and printer on each floor. Refreshments are available for very reasonable prices at the honor bar on each floor or at the sundries shop in the lobby. The fitness center had great equipment with personal video monitors and headsets. There were also complimentary bike rentals, which was an excellent touch because there are great places to ride around here. Ask the front desk about the nearby "hospital trail" that runs between two of the hospitals in Greensboro. This is a popular jogging and biking trail in town and just a half mile from the hotel -- accessible entirely by sidewalk. Brunch and dinner at Print Works Bistro were great. The wine list is impressive, as was the knowledgeable staff.

• Liked — Eco-responsible
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple

199 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Eden NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

Wow.. there is nothing like this hotel anywhere around. Clean Clean Clean.... Oh and by the way... the other reviewer that gave them bad ratings because they caught you smoking in the Smoke Free Green Hotel... Shame on you! I am a smoker and I would NEVER smoke in a hotel that tells me they will charge me $ if caught. You got exactly what you asked for! Good for them for charging you. Anyway.... Check out their website and you will get a much better deal or call the hotel direct. That is what I did.
Stay here and you will experience something special.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

I've stayed here twice and I live only 15 minutes away! My husband and I take weekend get-aways occasionally and several times we've stayed in town. We have stayed here and at the sister hotel, the O'Henry. They are two outstanding hotels. I'm writing about the Proximity but can rave about the O'Henry, too.
At this hotel, we were treated like very special guests. Every employee we encountered was friendly and gracious, the room seemed to sparkle, the food at the restaurant, Print Works, was delicious. There are computers with printers that actually work on each floor. As I was told by the manager, they don't just want to meet expectations, they want to exceed them.
This is a "green hotel" and, of course, has a contemporary design and feel. Go to www.proximityhotel.com to read about their sustainable practices and to see pictures.
Definitely check the website if you are going to stay here. They have specials. Check out the O'Henry, www.ohenryhotel.com, too. It has a very different feel and also has specials.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Machelen, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2008

Had a very good time. Very courteous staff throughout the hotel. Appreciate the free shuttle service (to the near vicinity) and the drivers are great to have a morning chat with. Did have some trouble operating the television set, and consider myself as someone who likes these high tech stuff.

• Liked — Service
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2008

We recently booked a two night reservation at the Proximity Hotel in Greensboro, N.C. We used the hotel's website to make the reservation. We arrived at the hotel and registered. The registration card included a "check box" that obligated the guests to refrain from smoking anywhere on property including all of the hotel rooms and the adjacent property with the exception of the parking lot. Failure to abide by this policy would result in a "clean up" fee of $250.00. No where on the website or on the room confirmation did it indicate that the hotel was a "smoke free" property. After a drive of many hours I checked the box and signed the registration card. My wife and I are casual smokers and were unhappy with the policy. We would not have reserved the room if we had been made aware of it. The Hotel is obviously misleading potential guests by not posting the smoking policy on the website and/or on their room confirmations.

At 4:00 am of the first night we were awakened by a party in the sitting area directly outside of our room. There was drinking and smoking (tobacco and marijuana). We asked them to reduce the noise and they cooperated. At 6 am my wife ran into the Manager on Duty in the hallway. She asked if we had been smoking. My wife indicated that the smoke smell was likely the result of the earlier hallway party.

The next morning we left our room at 11:50am to go shopping. We used the door tab to indicate that we required housekeeping. After returning at 2:00pm the room was untouched by housekeeping. I called the Front Desk and spoke with Emily. Emily was the same Manager on Duty that my wife met in the hallway at 6:00am. Emily apologized about the housekeeping error and went on to tell me that she had evidence that we had smoked in our room and that we would be charged $250.00 for "clean up". I did not deny having had a few cigarettes but did indicate that the party of the night before was likely the source of the smell. I was almost certain since the few times we smoked it was with our heads out the window making it very unlikely that smoke made it to the hallway. We left our room again to allow the delayed housekeeping and the room was ready approximately 3:00pm. After some thought we went to the Front desk and asked to speak with Emily. We indicated that we would not have made an issue of the noise/party but since they were being "by the book" regarding the "secret" smoking policy we felt we deserved compensation for the disruption in our sleep created by the party the night before.. They agreed to discount the room 50% for the night in question.

We received another call from Emily early the second night of our stay. She called to indicate that she would charge us another $250.00 "clean up" fee if we smoked the second night of our stay. How can she charge twice for the same "clean up fee"? Nothing was special was done to our room after the first night that had already been billed the extra $250.00. This was nothing but harassment.

In conclusion, many properties have elected to go "smoke free". However, they must be very clear that this is the policy to prevent potential smoking guests from making the mistake of booking rooms at their hotel. To do otherwise is misleading, unfair and should be punishable by compensation to the guest. Rules should protect all parties not just the hotel. It is a shame that our experience ruined what should have been a very enjoyable stay. I urge the Proximity Hotel to immediately edit the website to include their smoking policy (even the room description does not indicate that it is a non-smoking room).

• Liked — Property
  • Disliked — Management
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Winston-Salem
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2008

Driving in from the new Bryan Blvd. extension, the hotel is just off Green Valley Road and the signature windows are an easily visible landmark. Nestled in a small business park, the roads and grounds are well maintained (perfect for a bike ride). The parking lot is appropriately sized and very close to the property, which makes free self-parking a breeze. These are the first four things I noticed upon enterting: (1) Flowing drapery is everywhere - from the valet drop off outside to virtually every wall of the interior. It's a soft, welcoming touch. (2) The hotel's signature vintage streetcars lined out front, which are available to guests needing transportation. (3) The "floating" front desk is really cool, although I must admit that it felt strange to see the lower legs and shoes of the front desk staff. When's the last time anyone saw the shoes on the bank teller, retail clerk or nail tech? Chuckle. (4) The beautifully arranged orchids all over the lobby and lower level. The florals may rotate depending on the season, but for our stay, the contemporary yet simple designs accented the hotel beautifully. Check-in was succinct and accurate for the most part. My name and address were misspelled and, despite correcting the check-in form, they remained misspelled on the final receipt. There are two elevators and, during our stary, they were always within a minute of arriving. We had a corner room, which I highly recommend because the windows are the best feature of the room. The bed was clean and comfortable and, though I slept very well, I failed to find the wow in the "Magi" bedding description. The fact that the Proximity is a green property is incentive enough to patronize the hotel. What a great distinction - water saving toilets, energy efficient bulbs, plenty of the natural light and the option for a bit of fresh air (the window opens). The shower, however, had low water pressure and inconsistent temperatures throughout. Othwerise, the bathroom was well-appointed. I liked the sliding panel door to the restroom and I absolutely loved having the shower turn-on nozzle at the entrance to the shower, on the opposite end from the shower head. Being able to turn on the water and adjust the temperature before doing a full body test makes perfect sense! I'd never seen this feature before but it's on my 'honey-do' list now. Although I liked having a large window in the bathroom the slim vanity mirrors were an adjustment, I'd prefer to fit squarely into the mirror with extra room on all sides. These next few things place the Proximity in the 'boutique' category as opposed to the 'small luxury' category: the tilework in the bathrooms (basic white with a little black) is basic and boring. The light fixtures - from the lamp shades on the ceiling to the bedside lamps - were also basic (very IKEA-like). Because the exposed concrete walls were so beautifully finished with hints of metallic, the wood plank ceiling coated in plain white paint seemed a compromise. From a business standpoint, upgrades in these areas would likely increase perceived room value. Thumbs up high for the in-room fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Thumbs up again for the nice blow dryer, iron, hotel robes and Aveda toiletries. Finally, an ovation for the in-room COMPLIMENTARY bottles of water. Keep standing for the COMPLIMENTARY wireless internet throughout the hotel as welll as the internet-ready computer AND PRINTER on every floor! The honor-system beverage station was terrific and much less noisy that bulky soda machine (for those with rooms near this mini-lounge area). Only thing missing is Red Bull. The fitness room is small with very nice equipment, including tv monitors and complimentary earphones. An open space, mirrored wall and soft flooring are excellent for stretches and yoga (mats provided). There are also two bikes available for use. The swimming pool wasn't advertised on the website, which perhaps is a good thing. Though nice, it is a very small with only two lap lanes and a small wading space. My first thought was "Why did they bother including a pool?". Then again, some people prefer a few laps for exercise and nothing more, so I get the point. If you prefer soaking up sun by the pool, however, this isn't the place. Tea and coffee is served on the lower level near the seating room (lots of sofas and chairs but no end tables for resting a drink or paperwork). It's a great place to socialize! Unfortunately, we didn't try Printworks Bistro on this trip. Honestly, nothing on the menu piqued my interest, which is discouraging since it meant going out to experience some of the other great restaurants that Greensboro has to offer. Printworks' liquid libations, on the other hand, seemed innovative and intriguing and definitely worth trying on a future visit (find them highlighted on the top of the dining menus in-room).
To summarize, the Proximity is very nice. In fact, it is above average, if not excellent, for the city of Greensboro. Their commitment to energy efficiency is enough alone to warrant your patronize. The service is terrific and the staff very visible though not intrusive. I'd highly recommend the Proximity. (PS. It's in a wonderful GSO location, convenient to shopping, dining and downtown).

• Liked — Energy efficient, lots of natural light in rooms, newness/cleanliness
  • Disliked — pool
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Hickory, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2008

My Husband and our two young girls stayed recently at this property. We were in town for a wedding. You almost felt transported to some chic hotel in some mega metropolitan city when you walk in the door. Everything is very clean and modern, understated yet elegant. The service is very good at this point, everyone willing to help you with what you need.

We got a standard room with 2 Queen Beds. The rooms are very large and there was plenty of space for all of our baby gear. The room had Aveda products, a microwave, coffee maker and refrigerator. The beds were excellent with plenty of down pillows and high quality sheets. There were concrete ceilings and exposed ductwork/pipes which added a loft like experience. Modern touches rounded things off with a flat panel TV, wireless internet, and IPOD dock with surround sound. There was also a place to put recyclable items and eco friendly faucets and toilets. Each floor had an area where you could get drinks (on the honor system), ice, and a computer for personal use and a seating area.

The reception was held at the hotel and the food was wonderful. It was the best food I have ever had at any catered event. The food did not taste bland or mass produced. It tasted like I had ordered it directly from the menu. The service was excellent and the decorations (provided by the hotel) were gorgeous. We also got room service a few times which was excellent.

Overall, this was a great hotel, not overpriced by any means. For $20 more I would pay to stay here and get double the experience as I would at a slightly cheaper hotel. I stay at 5 stars resorts and hotels like Ritz Carlton and while different, this was very comparable to any of my other experiences with hotels. I am also a travel agent and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to any client visiting the Piedmont Triad. This is a Greensboro gem.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Proximity Hotel? Share your experiences!