“Nice stay spoiled by a poor departure.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in Greensboro
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Meadows of Dan, Virginia
“Nice stay spoiled by a poor departure.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a quick getaway and a nice dinner and decided on the Proximity as it is a LEEDS certified property. Arrival was very nice, with a greeting by a cheerful valet and a friendly, efficient check in. Our room was lovely. Nice and warm on a cold gray day. The furnishings were of high quality and the bed linens were crisp, white and luxurious.

We went down to the lounge for drinks and once again,we were impressed by the decor. Muted tones and flowing draperies set a romantic and easy mood. The drinks were perfect and the service was outstanding. The lounge had a talented jazz trio which we enjoyed and after a few drinks it was time for a good nights's sleep in our terrific room.

The next morning we had breakfast in the restaurant and the food and service was again without flaw. However, when we made our way to the lobby to check out, it was as if someone had flipped a switch from "warm and hospitable" to "disinterested and inattentive."

The desk clerk was a bit cold, but given the quality of the rest of our visit, I wouldn't have even mentioned it if not for woefully inadequate valet performance.

We asked Andrew for our car and was assured it would be retrieved promptly. As it looked like he was taking someone to their room, we sat in the lovely lobby to wait for him to finish. When he returned to the lobby, we figured he would grab the keys and bring around our vehicle. After about 10 minutes of no car or sign of Andrew my wife went to the desk to see what the delay was and was told by Andrew that he did not know we needed our car. He then assured my wife it would only be moment. Unfortunately, that was not the case. This delay, however was caused by Andrew and the 2 desk agents chatting loudly behind the front desk. After the impromptu gathering behind the desk was finished, Andrew finally went to get our car. He wasn't finished disappointing us, though as he didn't pull our car into the porte cochere, but left it out in the pouring rain for us, handing us the key as he brushed past us on his way to get out of the cold.

Our memory of the Proximity should have been of the beautiful room, swanky lounge and professional service, but instead will be marred by a lackluster and borderline surly departure experience. I will not be recommending Proximity to any of my friends with standards.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Tony V, Service Manager at Proximity Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
I sincerely apologize for our lack of a sense of urgency and followup upon your departure. Your last impression is as important as your first impression. I am sorry we did not leave you with a good one.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is only when we learn about our mistakes that we can learn from them. We will make sure this exerience it not repeated!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Georgetown, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

The entrance to the hotel looks like the era of the "Great Gatsby"! Billowing white curtains flying, parking attendants smiling and helpfull, a British Taxicab that I din't have the opportunity to utilize for transportation, but I will on the next trip. The bell staff were ready to help with a genuine, we can attitude and here is a cold bottle of water. Our room #804 offered a beautiful view of the gardens. The architecture of the building along with the green motto is excellent. Our room was massive, great bathroom with robes and slippers. Oh, before I forget, they have this great honor system on the gathering area by the computers for snacks and drinks. Really! There's a box where you put in your money. I knew it all along there is a place where beauty, honesty and ecology can reside together in harmony. Great workout area, no steam room though.Outdoor pool, long enough to swim short laps. The front desk staff were fantastic!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

Upon pulling up to the hotel you may feel as if you are suddenly in New York, Miami, or LA, certainly not Greensboro, NC. The crisp white curtains draping the drive way, the grey warehouse-like facade, and modern decor inside hide an utterly charming and friendly experience inside. The staff is always welcoming, and who wouldn't find the "honor system" vending irresistable?!!
Now I stay in a lot of hotels. My diamond status at Hilton was not acheived by accident. I hardly ever sleep well in them though. That is not the case at the Proximity (or the O Henry for that matter). The bedding is phenomenal -- something about the coverlet and pillows is just right.
The final mark of a great hotel in my mind is the bathroom. The bathroom MUST have soft towels and always warm water. It helps if the toiletries are so great I plot ways to take more than my share home. Promixity hits the spot on all counts PLUS they have these awesome waffle weave robes. I cannot tell you how much I love arriving at a hotel after a long day, having a hot shower, ordering room service, and snuggling in a robe before dozing off in an insanely comfortable bed.

Room Tip: Get a corner room if possible - great views!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Mebane, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I scheduled a surprise birthday booking at the beautifully designed Proximity hotel. I really admire the green initiatives and the front desk staff was friendly! The Loft King Spa Room I booked was quite attractive, as I asked to get a tour of it beforehand.

Early on the check-in day, the staff allowed me to bring balloons that they agreed to set up in the room before check-in. I also asked for a DVD player to be placed in the room and to set an ambiance with turning on a few lights, again before check-in.

Unfortunately upon check-in at the hotel designated time, the balloons were not placed in the room. It was also dark in the room and the DVD player was not there either.

Needless to say, instructions were not followed at all and I was terribly frustrated. I expected top-notch service from a hotel of this calibur and they failed.

Therefore, we had to wait in the lobby while the staff setup the room. It was smart that I checked the room first, otherwise it would have been a real embarrassment as a birthday surprise.

Although they got a staffer to setup quickly, the DVD placed in the room was very dusty and not neatly positioned next to the TV. (I can only assume the DVD player had been stored and unused for awhile.) Also, the lights still were not turned on in advance. This proved to be a sloppy and incomplete setup. Nevertheless, we made the best of the stay.

Advice: If you need items setup in a Proximity room before check-in, view the room yourself first after the picking up the key to make sure items are present.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Tony V, Service Manager at Proximity Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
I am so sorry we did not keep our promise to you regarding the room setup. For such a special occasion you certainly deserved better execution! I appreciate you sharing your experience with us. We will make sure it doesn't get repeated.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

Stayed 2 nights at the Proximity and enjoyed every minute of it.

Beautifully designed hotel from the reception through to the rooms. The outlook from the room over the gardens was great.

Great comfy bed and massive bathroom.

Had dinner at the Print Works Bistro, meal was great, but desert was a little disappointing but over all very good.

If ever back in Greensboro I would love to stay at the Proxmity again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Tony V, Service Manager at Proximity Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
I am delighted you enjoyed the view. Our gardener often features clippings from around the hotel in to our cut flower vases to bring a bit of our surroundings indoors. So sorry the dessert dissapointed! We certainly want to end a meal as wonderfully as it begins. We will look forward to your return.
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Just spent two days in this property this week. It is always exceptional from the front desk, modern room and Print Works Bistro. It is an engineering and thoughtfully planned Green hotel and you would never know it, because it is simply an exceptional hotel first. Rooms have concrete slab ceilings and supports mixed with inviting furniture and a wonderful bed.

If you are visiting Greensboro, I highly recommend this property or its sister property, the O'Henry Hotel.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are really great with windows in the bathrooms or the standard lineal long king room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
The corner and center room bathroom windows really do create a great open feel that is often hard to find in a hotel.
Mocksville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Proximity Hotel while in town for a concert. It was easily accessible to restaurants/bars for before and after the show. Jade, at the front desk, was extremely helpful! She recommended an excellent taxi service, and suggested several restaurants to check out.

The room was beautiful and exceptionally clean. The bathroom was huge, and had an amazing walk-in shower. Definitely had a great night sleep in the big, comfy bed!!

We were there for only a night and were unable to take advantage of the spa or restaurant, however, if they are anything like the rest of the hotel, I am sure they are top notch.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
I am so happy that our staff made a great impression on you. We delight in figuring out how to make your experience in Greensboro more enjoyable. See you in town for the next concert!

Been to Proximity Hotel? Share your experiences!