“Comfortably green” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Overland Park, Kansas
“Comfortably green”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Stayed at the Proximity Hotel in Greensboro, NC for five nights in July. It is one of the "greenest" hotels in the country. This place generates half of its power for heating water and air conditioning with the solar panels on the roof, consumes half the water of a regular hotel and utilizes dozens of other planet friendly technologies. As far as comforts go, there is nothing lacking. The room was large and decorated in a minimalist style. The bed was comfortable and the rooms are furnished with locally made furniture and fabrics. The bathroom was spacious with double sinks and a granite countertop. My room has a walk-in shower, and despite being low-flow, the shower was spray was powerful. The room was equipped with a small fridge, microwave and coffee maker. One of the nicest aspects of this hotel is how quiet the rooms are. Due to the poured concrete construction and other features, the room was extremely quiet. You hear no noise from above, neighboring rooms or the hallway. The only odd thing was the style of the desk and chairs. I would have preferred a modern roller/swivel office chair to sit and do work, but otherwise the furnishings were comfortable and functional. The staff was very friendly, discreet and efficient. The food in the Printworks Bistro was well prepared, good tasting and efficiently served. After a day or so, you get caught up in the whole green attitude, and end up taking little steps to save water, energy and electricity. It was fun and educational to stay at the Proximity.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Tony V, Service Manager at Proximity Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
We're happy to have inspired you! Many guests become interested in learning a bit more about our sustainable practices. Our website has some great resources and our LEED checklist is shown as well. While you are with us, ask for a tour! One of our experienced team members would love to share our story.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Pittsboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the Proximity Hotel to celebrate our anniversary. Although only an hour away, it felt like a true getaway. We were first greeted by a very friendly porter who was so courteous and helpful, Mr. Jenkins. Our check in was smooth and we enjoyed our Loft King room. The decor and cleanliness of the room were great. The furniture in the room was so unique and the wall of all windows offered great natural light in the room. Everything was modern, yet very comfortable. We celebrated enjoying all the Quaintance Weaver options available to us: tea at the O. Henry- wonderful service and even better food. Order the "O. Henry" off the menu- delicious selections. Dinner at Lucky 32- since we were full from tea, we ordered a few appetizers. The summer menu is awesome! Must try the peach wrapped in bacon with a fruit drizzle. WOW! The next day we enjoyed brunch at Print Works Bistro at Proximity Hotel. The only problem was I could not decide what to have! The menu was fantastic. My husband enjoyed the Duck Confit Hash which was perfect.

I would highly recommend this hotel and we will definitely be back. It was a perfect stay enjoying all that the Quaintance Weaver hotels and restaurants have to offer in Greensboro!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Tony V, Service Manager at Proximity Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2011
Happy belated anniversary! We have some wonderful packages that make for an extra special getaway. Ask for Ashley or Nancy in reservations next time you are booking. I am glad you experienced our restaurants as well. I must admit the Duck Confit Hash is my favorite brunch item! Cheers to many more years for you both!
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

I've stayed at the Proximity three times and every time it gets better! I love staying here. To me it is the best hotel in Greensboro. The service is awesome and the decor is unique. Every time I pull up I feel like I am on South Beach in Miami!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Indian Trail, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

This is a wonderful hotel! The rooms are spacious, the staff was very pleasant and helpful and the location was great! The bar and pool were both wonderful and relaxing and the in room food service was fast and tasted wonderful!
We will absolutely stay again!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

We just returned from one night at the Proximity - we were looking a nice place to relax (away from kids) that was an easy drive from the Triangle. This place was a perfect choice. It has a very elegant yet modern vibe and the room was lovely. The bed was heaven, and bathroom was fabulous. The large window let in tons of light (part of their sustainable design), and there was a perfect little chaise for reading right next to this window.

We had a fabulous dinner at the on-site restaurant, The Print Works. The service at the restaurant was impeccable and both dishes we ordered were to die for. It was nice to just stroll downstairs for such a lovely meal. Part of our overnight package included room service breakfast, and this was also wonderful. Served right when requested, hot, and delicious.

The negatives about this hotel... #1, the location. It's in a nondescript office park, adjacent to a busy road. It just pops up out of nowhere and seems like a strange place. Not a deal breaker, just a little strange. #2, their transportation needs to be fine-tuned. The website boasted of using their transportation to get to downtown and back, which we took advantage of to visit the Civil Rights Museum. The coordination was definitely lacking. It all worked out in the end, but it could have been a lot smoother. I also had to chuckle when they pulled up in this HUGE suburban to take all two of us downtown. Not exactly the green footprint I thought the hotel had been striving for.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend this hotel. They offer several one-night packages that were well suited for what my husband and I were looking for. It was very relaxing and the level of elegance we were looking for. The fabulous dinner at Print Works really sealed the deal.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

One of the most green hotels you will find, this hotel was built ground-up to be a luxury stay without noticing the greening effects. How could you not however, the ceilings are often bare, wire and condiut running in the rooms, raw building materials in many locations. Yet it provides a good look, and the building was done well- you will rarely notice the difference- lack of a tub is one, gently rushing water in the sink. Obvious loss IMO: the rough, "standard" instead of soft, luxurious bath towels: small price to pay for no footprint!.
Loved the room, spacious & well furnished.
Biggest complaint: front desk staff and serving staff are inattentive, do not ask "how is/was everything". Had several meals of varying quality in the single restaurant. My breakfast had tasteless, moldy, aging fruit- obviously not the same quality of care as in the later meals- and the servers recommended against several meal items, showing the menu is uneven in its quality. In spite of these small items, I think this is a welcome venue in need of some managerial attention where the staff is concerned.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

I really liked my stay at the Proximity. I like the idea of staying at a environmentally friendly hotel. The room was nicely appointed and the staff were super friendly. The shuttle was on time picking me up from the airport and the hotel was nice enough to drive me to and from my meeting places within Greensboro. The restaurant attached to the hotel was superb. You must try it if you stay here.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Proximity Hotel? Share your experiences!