“Second Time Around” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Josephine's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 785 Restaurants in Greensboro
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Seafood, Bistro
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Sometimes inspiration comes to us in the form of a warm, kind presence whose love, laughter and good cooking helped shape us into who we are and what we are doing today. Whether it be our dear grandmother Josephine, a parent, sibling, friend, or even a stranger, take pleasure in the company of those with whom you chose to share it.Savor each meal as it was your favorite memory during the best of times and create these times over the best of meals. Eat well and be well.
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Second Time Around”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We revisited this small, neighborohood restaurant last night, and as before, it was a pleasant experience, at least in some respects.The food continues to be fresh, local, and creative - it is the presentation, or plating, that I don't care for with some dishes in particular - more on that later - and one more, very annoying thing that many restaurants do as it relates to seating.

We arrived shortly after 5:30 as eating out early is our want, and were seated quickly - only one other person seated inside the restaurant - and we were placed directly across from her, in this small restaurant which is not at all suited for quiet conversation, under the best of circumstances. I wanted to be seated elsewhere, but my wife shoosed me - twice. It got better - the next three parties in were seated in a four table area of us - communal dining, you gotta love it. I did mention that the entire remainder of the restaurant was EMPTY.

Now, on to the food. Mi Esposa started with the mussels - a very nice serving, but somewhat smoky tasting for us - a lite garlic and white wine broth seems better. I had the Foie Gras & Bone Marrow - a great tasting combo with no healthy attributes at all. The bread was super and you got your own little spoon to dish out the marrow. All undersized utensils seem to infuse one with a sense of glamour and entitlement.

We also tried the Salmon Cake entree and the Fried Soft Shell Crab plate. The Salmon Cake was incredibly rich, and it was stacked on some greens, with broth or sauce in the bottom of the bowl. This is the kind of presentation problem I mean. It is quite impossible to simply eat the Salmon Cake in the bowl without everything moving into the broth at the bottom. Simply not an approach I like - everything becomes a stew or soup.

The Fried Soft Shell Crab were perfectly, and very lightly, fried. I had ask that the items in this dish be separated, no mounding, and any sauce was to be on the side. The sauce was put directly on the crabs despite my request, took away from the dish - those crabs needed no sauce of any kind. Will simply never understand the current fad of piling, stacking, and saucing every aspect of every dish.

The service here is simply excellent, though things can be slow coming out of the bar. The folks are friendly and efficient. And as I said, the food can be very good, but there are aspects of this restaurant (the cattle call seating, the open room with its noise, and the food presentation) that keep it from being a real favorite, and will limit our visits. Tastes vary, and other folks love this place, I'm sure.

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

California
“Great local restaurant!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

This is a great local find. Service was great and food was excellent. Mushroom ravioli with scallops - yum. Lamb chops were good but even for rare, a little underdone - more like raw. Order them medium and they would be perfect. Blueberry crunch dessert was a favorite. Good wine list.

Visited March 2012
Greensboro NC
“Hidden gem in Greensboro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

From the outside, you would never guess what a charming, trendy bistro lives inside. Good wine list, inventive specials menu. The salad I selected to start was excellent. For my entree I selected the special ravioli with seafood and it was good but nothing to rave about. Server was very friendly but service was a little slow. Lots of focus on local farmers which is a nice bonus. Dessert menu was excellent - I could hardly decide what to order. Had the chocolate bourbon pecan pie with fresh whipped cream and chocolate and caramel sauces - delicious! Melted in my mouth.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
North Carolina
“Good neighborhood restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

Always enjoy going to Josephine's. Best arugula salad...comes with a fried egg on top and outstanding dressing. Everything is fresh and attractively presented. Nice wine list. Small portions available.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Excellent Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

I have been to Josephine's several times and have never been disappointed. Their dishes are always freshly made and they push the envelope to present new food items. Love the wait staff. They support other local businesses as well which is a plus.