“Convenient and cozy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Troy-Bumpas Inn Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Greensboro
The Troy-Bumpas Inn Bed and Breakfast
You added The Troy-Bumpas Inn Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
114 South Mendenhall Street, Greensboro, NC 27403   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Greensboro B&B and Inns
College Station, TX
“Convenient and cozy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2007

This is only the second time I've stayed at a B&B, preferring some of the anonymity of a hotel atmosphere since I travel quite a bit. However, this place has changed my mind. I absolutely loved it!

I needed a hotel within walking distance to UC-Greensboro so did a search online and looked at many options. This one was perfect, and by far the best deal for the amenities. In fact, the inn was even better than expected, and I already had high expectations based on a thorough website. I could not have been happier. From the easy check-in (I just called them once I arrived at the back door and John was there in 2 minutes); to a comfortable and accommodating room; wireless internet throughout the house; movie and snacks accessibility ; delicious full-service breakfast; easy walking distance to the university with maps provided by the inn; phone numbers of cabs and local transportation, etc, I was thrilled.

I’ve even convinced several others to stay with John and Andrea next year based on this wonderful experience. They were easily accessible when called (if I didn't bump into them in the evening or at breakfast) and were very accommodating to patrons' needs.

A few amenities to mention: 1) a guest refrigerator to hold your leftovers or drinks; 2) a movie library to choose from; 3) snacks, cookies and drinks set either in your room or in the common area outside the rooms (this included some delicious oatmeal cookies I've already gotten the recipe from Andrea; I almost ate the entire plate of them while watching movies from their collection until 1 AM, despite having to work in the morning!); 3) wireless internet so I could check work emails; and if that hadn't worked, then the house computer with internet; 4) a knockout bathroom with a shower with full body jets and 3 showerheads, a whirlpool tub, and a heated towel rack (Allah Room); 5) a full-service breakfast with milk, juice, fruit, eggs, and toast; wonderful!!; 6) varous maps and local information for sightseeing or nearby eateries; and 7) the feeling of being pampered and cared for in someone's home without the hoving supervision. I felt very safe, warm, and taken care of!

I generally felt I was on vacation! I've stayed in some nice hotels on my travels, but this really took the cake, both in amenities and the bargain price! I wanted to stay a few more days. Thanks Andrea and John!

• Liked — Wireless Internet
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Anonymous
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2007

As other reviewers have said it is GORGEOUS. It just did not have the friendly atmosphere of other B&B's we stayed on on this trip. There are a lot of rules which are stated as soon as you get there: no red wine in rooms, don't wipe makeup off with towels, be at breakfast promptly or it will be removed in 30 minutes, etc. which made us feel like the strict Victorian-era older sister who once ran this inn was still in charge. The staff were polite to my wife and I but seemed uncomfortable or stiff.

Other guests weren't as friendly as in other B&B's I've been at, so I think the management's strictness gets into the air at this B&B. Don't get me wrong; it is beautifully maintained and the service is great (though I'd avoid the simple, oily breakfasts), but the management hasn't gone the extra yard to make it WELCOMING. I think if we came back to GSO we'd look somewhere else.

• Liked — Beautiful Rooms and Modern Bath: Jacuzzi, True Luxury Shower (3 options)
  • Disliked — Never felt comfortable, Wireless Internet Didn't Work in Room, Bad Breakfast
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chattanooga Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

During fall break I took my son to NC to visit colleges. Wanting to get a feel for the city environment near ELON University, we booked one night in Andrea's Troy Bumpas Inn near downtown Greensboro. We were thrilled with our third floor suite - two bedrooms with a shared bath. The home is probably Civil War era and has remained architecturally the same except for the modernization of the third floor and the baths....The place was immaculate, quiet, roomy...bed was very comfy. Bath room even had big plush terry robes. The Innkeeper greeted us at checkin and gave us pointers for dining downtown. We tried eating at Natty Green on Elm Street but it was quite popular and after driving all day, we didn't feel like waiting (40 min on a weeknite). We walked across the street to a very very cute Irish Pub (with no smoking at the bar). Food was good and reasonably priced. I think it was called McCouls.

Breakfast at the Inn was deliscious...moist and flavorful waffles (perhaps pumpkin - not sure), applewood bacon, fresh fruit, generous coffee, cereal and juice ....mmmm - we started the day off right.

If you don't want to stay in a typical hotel,,,,this is a great alternative and while a little more expensive than a chain, it delivers more charm and better service.

• Liked — safe and cozy
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2007

From the moment I arrived I felt as thought it was home. Friendly greeting, quick tour before being taken to room. House "rules" were quickly explained but I appreciated the nicely framed info in my room as well as the 3-ring binder (info about the Inn, Greensboro, restaurants, etc.).

Free internet service is something you normally don't find in a hotel but this B&B is not like any hotel. More surprisingly, there is a comfortable workstation with a laptop that you are welcome to use at any time. And conveniently, it is located right next to the exceptional coffee/tea/cocoa station ... and the to-do-for (never ending) supply of cookies.

My room ... perfect for one person and absolutely beautiful. The large bathroom is like new. The tv and built in DVD player (the inn has a large selection of DVDs to choose from) was a nice treat, as were the bottled water and bags of chips in the room.

The breakfast was good and casual. While eating I was asked if it was okay for my room to be re-supplied ... when I returned it looked like it did when I first checked in (water and chips re-stocked, too).

Great location, walked to downtown, drove five minutes to the Coliseum, yet very quiet and peaceful. And the adorable and sweet Sammy and Ginger are the perfect canine touch to this inn.

This place is the best. I can't wait to return.

• Liked — Not only was it beautiful - it was so clean!!!
  • Disliked — Can't think of one negative thing - it was that good
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

I stayed at Troy-Bumpas Inn over Labor Day weekend. I'm very picky about where I stay. I usually only stay in 4 or 5 star hotels. Greensboro doesn't have any high end hotels so I decided to try a bed and breakfast. After reading reviews on trip advisor, Troy-Bumpas looked to be the best. I arrived around 7:30 pm and was greeted promptly at the door. The owners had the weekend off, but the person they hired to take over for the weekend was wonderful. She gave us a quick tour and took us to our room. We stayed in the Allah. The room was nicely decorated and had a deck to sit outside. The bathroom was very nice with granite and a jetted tub and spacious shower. The room was immaculate. There wasn't a stray hair or piece of dust anywhere. The bed was very comfortable and had the softest sheets. When I first got to the room, I was bit concerned because it didn't have its own thermostat. However, I was told if I was too hot or cold, to let them know and the temp. would be adjusted. The room temperature was perfect the entire stay. We went down for breakfast the first morning we were there. Breakfast was French toast, sausage, blueberry bread and fresh strawberries. The coffee was excellent. Overall, the breakfast was OK. We had to leave early on Monday before breakfast was served but the inn arranged for a nice continental breakfast before we left. Regarding the location of the inn, it was only a couple of miles from shopping and restaurants such as PF Changs, Mimi's, Fleming's. On our second evening, we went to the grocery store and bought a bottle of wine and some snacks and sat on our deck and enjoyed the great weather. The house is located in a quiet residential neighborhood. For the price, I thought it was an excellent choice. Our room was $159 the first night and $125 the second. With breakfast included, I thought this was an extremely reasonable rate. If I ever travel back to Greensboro, this is the only place I would consider staying.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manassas, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2007

I enjoyed my stay at the Troy Bumpass, and will return. The furnishings are perfect for the era and all the rooms immaculate. I loved the little bios and family pictures of the three sisters who used to live there. The bed was quite comfy, not too hard and not too soft. Andrea, the owner, was gracious and not overly chatty (a benefit in my book.)
Breakfast was good but not great.
The thing that amused us though, was the little notes sprinkled around the place with house rules. i.e. "don't dye your hair," "don't use a hair dryer." (there is one in the bathroom presumably for our use.) "Don't use a washcloth to remove make-up."
Since we were there on April Fools Day we were sorely tempted to add a few more notes such as "Don't forget to wash behing your ears," or "No alligators in the bathtub, please."
All in all, however, this rates up there with the best B&B's I've visited.
Nell

• Liked — Decor and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Odd rules
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

Stayed at the Troy Bumpass over UNC-G parent's weekend. After reading the reviews online, I was very excited to be staying there. However, my stay there left a bit to be desired...First off, I arrived around 4 p.m. ( check in is 3 p.m. and after) , to a locked, empty house. After walking around the house and knocking at all the doors several times, a woman came walking over from next door, looking a bit harried and asking me if I was checking in ( as if it wasn't obvious by my knocking on the door with a bag in hand) After being let in, and being greeted lukewarmly at best, I was led to my room, which was actually quite nice. The staff person showed me around and did warm up a bit but I felt that I was almost "inconvenient" in my arrival, for some reason.
The room was quite nice ( the Nina room) but since the house is only about 100 yds from Market St, I could hear road noise and thumping car stereo's well into the night, as well as some muffled music from a nearby frat house ( I"m assuming at UNC-G) I realize that if I had come during a different weekend, it may have been quieter....
The breakfast the next morning was just OK- a very sticky pecan roll looking thing with some bacon. Company around the table was quite friendly, however.
Never did meet the owners, and the one staff person who was there just never really did warm up all that much, although they weren't unpleasant....more just lukewarm...
All in all, it was just OK....doubt I"ll be staying there again.

• Liked — the room was really nice
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed September 2006
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Troy-Bumpas Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!