“A great stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 75 Hotels in Greensboro
Scarborough, Maine
“A great stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott while in Greensboro visiting my son. I can't say enough about the staff. From the moment we arrived we enjoyed every staff member we met. The housekeeping staff always had a smile and a " Good morning, ma'am" Breakfast was delicious, I would encourage you to fill up before heading out for the day. Our room was comfortable, pleasant and the temperature was perfect! I love a hotel that allows you to pick the temperature you want. The front desk staff was helpful in getting us where we wanted to go. Great advice on restaurants and Lots of SHOPPING! I wouldn't stay any where else!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
How great Luveuropeantravel, We are so glad that you were met with real Southern Hospitality! All of us here at the Hotel are very sincere in the way of making our guests feel welcome by letting our friendly demeanor shine. It is feedback such as yours that let us know we are doing the right thing and are living up to the true meaning of being Brilliant Hosts! Thank you again, and please let us know the next time you visit.

Huseyin Taran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Nashville, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I rarely write 'poor' reviews. If I cannot give at least acceptable reviews, I typically write the hotel directly. In this case, people need to know they should not expect "Marriott" level or service or accommodations.

First, the hotel has not updated the rooms in a very long time. My room had pathetic furniture. The night stand was likely from the 80s with many scuffs, nicks, etc. The mattresses were fair, though. They had updated the bedside lamp, too, which I suppose they figured made this room current. Long story short, this reminded me of motel furniture.

The lobby did seem modern and current. This is likely to drive their conference business.

Next, the walls were thin. Every night I could hear the guy next door call his family and chat. I also heard a lot of hallway noise - I think a visiting college basketball team was staying at the hotel which added to the noise. Despite being a Marriott Gold member, I was put on a low floor. My request for a King bed was also not honored.

The parking situation is "shady" at best. I parked around 8pm at night. I had to cross through an "alley" like street to get to the hotel from the hotel parking. It felt somewhat unsafe. There was no doorman, adding to the uncomfortable feeling. There was also no apparent valet, although it was advertised, which added to my apprehension.

Oddly, the next morning when I went to drive out of the garage, I encountered a exit attendant. He took my ticket and asked for 2 days worth of parking fees. I said I was a hotel guest and showed my key. He asked to see my hotel parking validation. The front desk never told me I needed a validation/pass!!! Worse yet,they only took cash!! He was also overcharging, with 2 days charge for 12 hours of parking. Incredible! It was a good thing I had cash on me.

Long story short, unless you HAVE to be in downtown Greensboro, I would recommend finding other options in the area. If you do have to be downtown, consider staying closer to the airport or Burlington and making the short drive to the city.

Room Tip: If you park a car, make sure to tell the front desk. They may forget to ask, and then you'll hav...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear AMPfromBNA,

We're sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than enjoyable. We pride ourselves on providing a top level of hospitality to our guests, not only because we are a Marriott, but also because we are true Southern Hosts.

In regard to the furniture in your guest room, we have been renovated since 2009 and are continually striving to make improvements in every way we can. In fact, our mattresses are brand new in every guest room as of this February. Thank you for noticing our improved lobby - last summer we underwent a $3 million renovation of our Meeting Spaces and Lobby!

We appreciate your Marriott loyalty and are glad to have you as a Gold Member. We are sorry that your room request was not honored, and not only that, but that you were placed near some noisy guests. We are addressing these issues with the Front Desk and are training our Staff to avoid similar mistakes in the future.

As for our parking situation, we do have a dedicated and hospitable Valet and Guest Host team that strive to make your visit as stress-free as possible. Unfortunately there are times that their services are sought inside the hotel and are not available out front.

Thank you for your comments. You are right, we can do better, and we hope to demonstrate our dedication to you and our other valued guests with every visit. We invite you to choose the Greensboro Marriott Downtown to host you on a future stay, and we know we will do better.
Great Falls, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I stayed here on business over the past 4 days. The service is great -- the Concierge who greeted us in the lobby, our bellhop, the front desk and restaurant staffs, even the gentleman in facilities who said hello and asked how our stay was going. It's a good location, and the rooms are clean and updated. Have traveled a great deal and finding a place where the employees take pride in their hotel and work is rare. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jan,

Thank you for taking the time to post these great comments for our Hotel and our employees. We always appreciate feedback from our guests!

We are pleased to hear that you thought highly of our staff and that you would recommend our hotel!

Thank you again and we look forward to your next stay with us!

H Taran
Orlando, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

The rooms are sizable and clean. Mattresses were very comfortable. My only complaint was the noise levels. The walls were very thin and we heard full conversations from the room next door. They were not being to loud either. Staff was very friendly. I felt the rates were a little high when you add in parking, internet and paying ofr breakfast. This hotel was ok.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of the hall without a connection door. The walls are thin. You can hear...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments for our hotel. We always appreciate feedback from our guests!

We are pleased to hear that you thought highly of our staff . We do apologize for noise issue and would like you to know we always look for ways to improve our room quietness to make our guest stay more enjoyable. Thank you again and we look forward to your next stay with us!
Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I recently stayed with my son while visiting Greensboro College. This is the closest hotel to the school and in a nice downtown area (with restaurants and businesses). We had a very nice stay, especially nice that we were upgraded to the concierge level. The hotel is very nice and the upgrades made it very luxurious. If I can find a reasonable concierge room rate for future visits, I would definitely splurged for that - the staff working the lounge were friendly and accommodating.

Dear LikeAlly,

Thank you very much for your great respond. I truly enjoyed reading your comment about our hotel and employees. It is our only goal to make every guest enjoy their stay and leave with great experience. We are glad that we achieve your expectations and we hope to see you on your next visit to Greensboro,

Huseyin Taran
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I wrote a review of this hotel about a year and a half ago and have stayed here several times since, but I feel the need to update my thoughts while downgrading my rating.

The staff is indeed friendly (sometimes obsequiously so) but they have to walk the walk as well. From the front desk clerk who didn't know about elite Marriott member benefits to the restaurant staff that crossed the line between "unobtrusive service" and totally ignoring the customer (not just me but those dining around be as well) indicates service failure, plain and simple no matter how many "good day's" are directed towards you.

My room was a bit shopworn with peeling/patched wallpaper in the bathroom and carpet that showed soiling, even through the pattern. The TV channels have been upgraded since my first review where there are now some hi-def channel options, but there is no HBO (despite the web site saying it was offered). On the plus side, the bed seemed more comfortable than I remembered from past stays and on king beds there are now four real king-sized pillows rather than the mix of large decorative pillows with tiny sleeping pillows used in the past.

I would now recommend this hotel only if you get a very good price or if you absolutely must have those Marriott points.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
First and foremost, I apologize for the inconveniences you endured during your visit with us. This is not how we want ourselves to be portrayed nor do we want any guest thinking we are "inept".

Sometimes our Southern Hospitality may be perceived as "obsequious", but I can assure you it is genuine and not to be mistaken as anything else. We pride ourselves in our hospitable nature and welcoming demeanors. I am sorry you felt as though it was anything but sincere.

Additionally, all of our associates are trained with the proper tools to know the ins and outs of reward member benefits, and there is no excuse for not being able to offer this to you. We will be sure to correct this issue and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We are continually making improvements to each and every sleeping room, and apologize for any cosmetic issues you encountered. However, we are very glad to hear that you noticed the new mattress and pillows. (All 280 sleeping rooms now have new beds!)

I personally hope that the next time you are in the area you will let us know, and extend to us another chance to regain your loyalty. Thank you for your review now and from 2012. We look forward to seeing you again. Safe travels!
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

As a business traveler, and this was the roughest experience I’ve had in a long while, and a bad reflection on the Marriott brand. Woke up at 3:56 AM sweating, in a room at 85 degrees, the thermostat had failed. I did not expect the thermostat to be as dated as the room décor. The room was clean, the shower was hot, and the bed was comfortable, but a restful night sleep is a must, and a clear expectation at any hotel, especially a Marriott! Poorly trained staff….when I complained about the room, the clerk got the deer in the headlights look, not knowing what to say, except to comp my breakfast, and to “hope my stay the next time will be more enjoyable.” (Next time, really?) Another example…. at breakfast, the hostess passed eight empty tables and seated me next to a polite, but loud, visiting collegiate swim team. I was clearly a business traveler, looking to read my paper and enjoy a simple breakfast, while gathering my thoughts for the coming day; I was not an athlete’s parent. Why seat me there with an open dining room? Yet another example….an assistant manager called when I was away, and left a an annoying unscripted message that mispronounced my simple name, and droned on for 45-seconds, thanking me for staying, call if you need anything, please come again, blah, blah, blah. I had to answer the message and listen to it all, or the light on the telephone would flash all night and keep me awake. The staff is poorly trained, and they do not know the business traveler. This management team mistakes friendliness for good service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Huseyin T, General Manager at Greensboro Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear GateCheckFlyer,

I would like to personally apologize for all of these inconveniences you encountered during your recent visit with us.

Addressing first the thermostat issue: it is, at times, out of our control when these types of things happen. It is very unfortunate that it would happen while a guest was in a room, but I assure you that we continually check and maintain these types of things. I am very sorry to hear that your sleep was interrupted because of this, but we do appreciate you letting us know so that we can correct this immediately.
Secondly, I am sorry you feel as though our staff is "poorly trained". Our Hotel is currently ranked as the #7 (out of 355 in the USA) in Marriott Full Service properties, and we take much pride in our training process. I can speak for every associate when I say that we all care about each and every guest, situation, and issue that may arise. I will be sure to reiterate to all of our staff the procedure and steps that are to be put into action when handling a guest's issue so that this does not happen again.
Finally, I do have much faith and confidence in our team here and wish that your next visit to Greensboro should be with us. Announce your stay and we will be sure to show you the service you are to expect and love. Thank you for your time and post. Have a wonderful day and safe travels!

Been to Greensboro Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!