“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Evesham
13 attraction reviews
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We came here largely because my wife is a huge fan of the film Zulu and we wanted to see the locations for ourselves.

The battlefield trips (we went to Isandlwana and Rorkes Drift) were memorable - Andrew and Charl were both very knowledgeable and took us round the battlefields explaining things in detail - spellbinding and a little humbling when you consider what happened in those places.

Visited February 2013

Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
“Fugatives Trail”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Having visited the battlefields I had to visit this location allthough the views were stunning I sadly couldnt access the river banks

Visited November 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“Worth a 40 year wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Having seen the film Zulu when a child I had always wanted to see the site where a company of British soldiers fought valiantly against the odds.and were allowed to live by the honourable Zulus due to the soldier's incredible bravery.

Staying at Fugitives Drift was a bonus. The lodge is filled with memorabilia and the location is excellent. Our first day set the scene with the battle at Isandlwana. We chose a private tour as we had our 10 year old son and 14 year old daughter with us. They were captivated throughout. In the afternoon we walked down through the grounds to where the graves of two of the soldiers (also VC winners) are buried who rescued the Regimental colours. Fugitives Drift is unique in having this in their property.

The following morning we walked up to a view point - the big leap or something like that; The view was breathtaking and not a difficult walk in any way. Two of the lodge's dogs decided to come along for the stroll which delighted the children.

In the afternoon we had Andrew Ratray take us to Rorkes Drift. Why after 3pm? That is when the battle began. This exemplifies how the little things make a difference. I am not ashamed to say I was in tears half way round. The delivery was pitch perfect.

Although the trip was undoubtedly to satisfy one of my wishes. we all had a great time. The food was very good and the drink reasonably priced. it is a very friendly and hospitable establishment with a convivial atmosphere. It was our daughter's 14th birthday when we were there and staff we did not know even came up and wished her happy birthday. Having a candle in your pudding and the Zulu staff singing happy birthday to you in Zulu was also a very memorable touch.

Visited October 2012
Hong Kong
15 attraction reviews
“Brilliant, even for non millitary buffs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I'd like to start by saying that this was the beginning of a three week SA adventure, and I agreed to do this bit purely for the other half, who is a millitary history buff, which I am most certainly NOT! I promised to go on one of the tours, under the agreement that if it was as dull as I expected it to be, I could go off hiking or horse riding or something else that they offer here. As it was, the first talk was so good, I was gripped.
For those who don't know, David Rattray died (sadly was killed by Zulus!) a few years ago, but the place is run by his widdow and son. Whilst we were there, his son was off getting married, but it made no difference to me. The "lectures" were so brilliant they came alive. In particular Impewi, who took us on the tour of Isandlwana on our first morning. He's a Zulu and told the story from both sides of the battle. The afternoon we did the "grave walk" to hear about the colours. The following morning we were free to walk the grounds ourselves, surrounded by impala, kudu, cows, zebra and girraffe. We took Spud (the resident black lab) as our guide and had a wonderful time. The final afternoon we did Rorke's Drfit and I now have a feel for a small part of the history.
We stayed in Kwa George. About 2km up the path from the main lodge, and significantly cheaper. We found it charming, and were usually escorted home by a resident cows.
Best advice, is to do this for three nights, not one or two. That way you get some time to chill out - after all, you are on holiday!?

Dorchester, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Having walked from Isandlwana on a very warm day we were a little tired when we reached the river, but it was all fab!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Love it all! Most of the party climbed to the top of Isandlwana, and amazingly another visitor (who we caught up with at giant's castle) photographed us from below and emailed it to us. We then walked the Trial which was really scenic and a great experience.

Visited May 2012