What makes Fugitive's Drift Lodge so special is the dedication of its staff to the well-being of its guests. Nothing is too much trouble and I must compliment Nicky Rattray on the way she and her staff gently oversee the smooth functioning of the Lodge. The rooms in the Main Lodge are spacious and furnished immaculately with every conceivable item on hand i.e. from insect spray/mosquito repellant, umbrellas, electric blankets, oil lamps to toiletries in every conceivable form.
The meals were extremely well prepared and balanced and the wine list extensive. Numerous delicious salads were offered for lunch together with cold meats and hot dishes. Dinners consisted of gourmet fixed menus which were truly excellent.
The Lodge itself is steeped in history and the walls adorned with photographs, pictures, copies of documentation, maps etc. depicting the history of the Zulu war era and the work that the late David Rattray did for the community and where a trust has now been established to continue his work and educate and assist the locals in the area.
The Tourist Guides are excellent and they imparted their knowledge of the events that happened during the period with accuracy and expertise. We soaked in the moving moments that led to the dramatic defeat of the British at Isandlwana and appreciated the bravery of the soldiers who defended Rorke's Drift and we left the Battlefields emotional with many tearful eyes and sore hearts.
Guests should allow themselves at least three nights at the Lodge as the tours are lengthy (half days) and Isandlwana is scheduled for mornings and Rorke's Drift for afternoons and doing both in a day would leave you exhausted.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fugitives' Drift Lodge, established by David and Nicky Rattray 19 years ago, has become world famous for the passionate stories, delivered by our resident lecturers, given on the battlefields of the Anglo-Zulu War. Our flagship tours, conducted daily, are to the battlefields of Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana. The Lodge and Guest House both feature luxury accommodation with pools, horse riding and fantastic game walks through this remarkable terrain. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels so you can book your Fugitive's Drift reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fugitive`s Drift Hotel Rorke`s Drift
- Fugitive's Drift South Africa/KwaZulu-Natal