“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fugitive's Drift

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rorke's Drift
Fugitive's Drift
You added Fugitive's Drift to your Saves list
Rorke's Drift 3016, South Africa   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

This was one of the best things that we have ever done. We stayed for one night and were upgraded. I would suggest staying for two or even three nights. We did the Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana tours which were brought to life by the super knowledgeable Alastair Lamont. The lodge is located in a stunning setting and the service, decor and quality are second to none. I am somewhat of a military history buff, but my wife enjoyed the tours as much as I did. We were reduced to tears on a numbers of occasions and felt truly moved by the whole experience. A once if a lifetime experience that can be described as "outstanding".

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
tamworth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Had two nights here, the first stop on our African holiday.
We were welcomed with drinks and cake and told that we had an hour before our first walk to Fugitives Drift where many of the British soldiers tried to cross the river back to Natal after the battle of iSandlwana. We visited the grave of Melville and Coghill who tried to save the Queens colours. Whilst walking we saw Zebra, Giraffe and Impala, quite amazing!
The food was great. We sat all together on one long table which encouraged chat with other guests.
Our room was clean and the view breath-taking. Beautiful bathroom with bathrobes hanging in the wardrobe. We found a plug socket with U.K. fitting.
There is a swimming pool but as it was the last week of winter there was a little chill so we gave it a miss. Had one lunch on the library veranda, the views again were stunning.
Alistair gave us a tour of iSandlwana battle site, very moving and informative, and later went to Rorke's Drift, somewhere I had wanted to see for many years.
I must also mention Grace who was so sweet and looked after us constantly. You don't need an alarm call, just ask Grace and she will bring early morning coffee and biscuits to your room.
At the end of the evening we retired to our room to find our beds warmed with an electric blanket.
How nice is that?
This was the first stop of five locations and Fugitives Drift lodge was the only who were prepared to meet my partners gluten free needs. well done guys.
Maybe two or three nights is sufficient but if your going to that area you've got to stay. Fabulous.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed at Fugitive's Drift Lodge for 2 days and nights in July, and very much enjoyed our visit. Tours of Isandlwana and Rorke’s Drift were fascinating and authoritative; Mphiwa Ntanzi, our guide at Isandlwana, even talked of how his grandfather and great-grandfather took part. I also enjoyed the guided walk to the Melvill and Coghill grave in the grounds of Fugitive's Drift Lodge, both for the history and the scenery.

We also took a couple of walks on our own through the reserve and found it amazing that we could just walk around amongst giraffe, zebra, diverse antelope, etc. However mundane locally, these will always be exotic animals to us! I also recommend an early morning walk up to "the ledge" for the view across the Buffalo River. On our self-guided walks we were accompanied by Spud, a black labrador, and various other lodge dogs, which all added to the fun.

Accommodation was comfortable (though we had no view from our cottage), the food was good, and the service was professional. Many who looked after us were students on gap years - "gappies" - and they were all enthusiastic and helpful, but, inevitably, less knowledgeable about the area than those who had lived there for longer.

On the morning of our departure, we were given a bag of cookies and some bottled water to take with us in our car. A great idea, and very welcome!

Because I came here directly from Three Trees at Spioenkop, I can't avoid comparing the experiences. Both are great and I recommend them highly, but Three Trees is smaller and that bit more personal, which suited us very well, and we preferred it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is a great little guesthouse hidden away in the mountains, upon arrival you drive up the long drive and have the opportunity to spot giraffes and kudu!
The staff are all very welcoming and friendly and sit and eat with the guests for lunch and dinner.
The guest houses are spacious and clean, the food is really tasty, each meal is eaten on a long table with all the other current guests and staff members so be prepared to be social, this can be annoying when your want your own space but it's all part of the fun as you make new friends and can share stories from the day.

The trips that the guesthouse provides are an extra cost, which is very expensive but they are fantastic, the guys who run the tours are brilliant storytellers and bring the story to life! Also there are some brilliant mountain bike tracks to try out at an additional cost.

There is no need to stay here any longer than two nights as you will run out of things to do.

This is a great place to stay during your exploration of South Africa to learn some interesting history! BUT if you have children this is not the place to go.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Spent a few days at Fugitive's Drift last month.
We stayed at the guesthouse which isn't very luxurious but nice enough.
The room was comfortable and the food was above average.
But the tours!!!
They were put together so so well. The guides were amongst the best I have had in the world.
They painted a compelling narrative of the events at Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana and made it come alive for each of us.
It was haunting, moving and so interesting.
Whether you're into history or not, these tours are worth every penny.
They changed my perspective of the history of KZN, the British soldiers and the Zulu warriors.
My only regret is that I didn't go sooner!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Buckingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

All I want to say has already been said. What a fantastic place. The hosts are most welcoming and all the staff are friendly. We had two rooms (7 and 8) both had great views. Having arrived a little later than expected we did the tours in the wrong order but I don't think it's that important. Both are very interesting and moving. Alastair's tour of Rorke's Drift was great, he really brought the scene to life. Andrew's tour of Isandlwana was also interesting but I have a huge apology to make to Andrew. After a bit of a tour in the Land Rover and looking at the sights we settled down in chairs under a tree to hear more of the fabulous story telling. Andrew spoke so beautifully and brought the whole thing to life that I shut my eyes to capture the moment. My eyes stayed shut for just a little bit too long and I was sound asleep when every one turned to look at 'that hill'. My husband had to really shake me to wake me. OMG how embarrassing and Andrew if you did notice and are reading my review, I'm truly sorry. My only excuse is that I was taking antibiotics which made me sleepy. You were not boring me I promise. At least I didn't snore!!! Drinks round the fire pit after a day out is most welcome and to join other guests is also very nice. You eat dinner at one big table like a family. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Fugitive's Drift and would like to return to sample the other tours available.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We spent three days a Fugitives Drift enjoying the battlefield educational experience in an environment of wonderful hospitality, enjoyable food and comfortable accommodation. The battlefield tours are not only an education with a focus on military tactics, but a richly woven tale of human experience that takes the listener on an emotional journey. The passion and the knowledge of the guides is truly a privilege to experience - thank you to both Andrew and Mphiwe. Dinners and breafasts in the dining room were a time to interact with other guests and enjoy the warm fire and friendly hospitality of the staff. Lunches were hosted in the fairly new library with its fantastic views over the Buffalo river with Isandhlwana in the background - a spectacular African landscape. This is such a unique experience that it is difficult to do the stay justice in a review, except to say that it is highly recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed in the family cottage at the Lodge, the two bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and lounge area worked r...