From the moment of our arrival we were made to feel as family guests of the Rattray family and their staff at this charming lodge set in the heart of Kwazulu. The rooms are spacious and while not being Intercontinental Hotel have all mod cons and very large comfortable beds! Meals are taken at a communal table where you meet interesting like minded folk. The food is delicious made from well sourced local ingredients- wine list not bad either- lunch is similarly served at the fairly new library building where there are magnificent views across the Buffalo River gorge , the game park and hills towards Isandlwana.
There is a good swimming pool ideal for cooling after the days dust!
The lodge offers game walks , rides and other excursions but the highlight are the accompanied ( you pay extra but well worth it) battlefield tours with their own in house guides. We had Andrew Rattray - the son of the late owner- who demonstrated his in depth knowledge and passion for the period and kept us mesmerised for 4/5 hours each day with his anecdotes and the history
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fugitives' Drift Lodge, established by David and Nicky Rattray 19 years ago, has become world famous for the passionate stories, delivered by our resident lecturers, given on the battlefields of the Anglo-Zulu War. Our flagship tours, conducted daily, are to the battlefields of Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana. The Lodge and Guest House both feature luxury accommodation with pools, horse riding and fantastic game walks through this remarkable terrain. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels so you can book your Fugitive's Drift reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fugitive`s Drift Hotel Rorke`s Drift
- Fugitive's Drift South Africa/KwaZulu-Natal