“Run away” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Garden Plaza Hotel Gatlinburg

You added Garden Plaza Hotel Gatlinburg to your Saves list
Garden Plaza Hotel Gatlinburg
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   520 Historic Nature Trail, Gatlinburg, TN 37738 (Formerly Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort)   |
Ranked #78 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Run away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011 via mobile

A long time ago this place was ok. But now one of the buildings is totally closed it is falling down the room smelled like it had been closed up for years. They moved us to another room after seeing it I told them I wanted my money back they refused. I left and stayed at the rivers edge motel it was amazing

• Stayed December 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

I took my kids & dog to Gatlinburg for my daughter's b-day & Halloween. I was leary of reserving on-line b/c of bad reviews so I ck'd it out for myself. As I read in reviews the front & side bldgs are closed. The front desk clerk was friendly. She offered me the chance to see sev. rooms & indoor pool. The 3 rooms we looked at were clean & someone was cleaning the pool. I probably could've found something else at a comparable rate but I was there to enjoy a few days w/my kids, not spend a lot of time driving around hoping to find a deal especially knowing there aren't many pet friendly motels there. We were out of the room for the most part but did spend several hrs at the pool. It was warm & clean & the kids had a blast! I'm a single mom on a limited budget & just needed a clean, afforadable place to sleep & bathe which I found it to be. The free breakfast was a plus. The coffee cups are tiny just as I read, but most places only offer stale bagels w/those larger cups. I took my travel cup w/me ~ problem solved. The walk back up hill from the main drag may be a bit much for some folks but I chalked it up as a chance to burn off that fudge. The trolley does make a stop near the motel. If you're looking for a posh luxury hotel w/all the bells & whistles, this isn't it! Others may have had bad experiences. There's no doubt it's outdated & in need of renovation but my stay was pleasant. Next time if my wallet allows I may spend a little extra & stay elsewhere. But when I treat my kids to another little get-away & low on funds, I'll stay here again. I'm sure if I ask my kids 10 or so yrs from now what they remember about the awesome time we spent in Gatlinburg, I don't think they'll say the outdated hotel.

tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Reservations were made for us without consulting www.tripadvisor.com. The hotel looks nothing like the photos listed. The front building that faces the road is deserted and has "no trespassing" signs on all the doors and windows. We ended up on the 8th floor of the back building that is in use and we asked if there was a room on a lower floor. Nothing was available. Yet, from looking at nearly empty parking lot, I'm guessing that some of the floors weren't in use. For the amount of money we paid, our room was a shocker. Everything was old...the furniture, the bedding, the curtains, the carpet.The mattresses on the beds had seen better days and were lumpy. The pillows were a little bigger than a travel pillow. I couldn't identify the smell that was in the room. The room didn't give the appearance of cleanliness. I couldn't settle down and be comfortable. It was very noisy until around midnight. It sounded like carts being rolled up and down the hallway. The noise started again at around 5 AM. There were stains in the tub and the towels were dingy. The water pressure was very poor. Caulking needed to be reapplied around the tub and toilet. The ceiling in the bedroom and the bathroom was in very poor condition. On the plus side, the heat did work! However, every time the heat would turn on, it sounded like the heater was doing all it could to get going. Our last morning there, it started making a different noise. There is a free breakfast. Just think school cafeteria with coffee (which is handy since there's not a coffeemaker in the room). I would never stay at this establishment again. In fact, we left a day early and would have left immediately if we hadn't already paid online. It needs to be owned by someone who cares and wants repeat business. At this point, it's obvious that no one cares.

Room Tip: Choose a different place to stay.
Kennesaw
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

I think the rooms are mostly clean. They have a great staff (especially Sheena)!! I love that my dog can stay here too and the indoor pool/spa! I have seen a baby bear, which was my 1st one to see. I stay here every time that I am in Gatlinburg.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Lewisburg, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Do not stay here. Stayed at this hotel a few years ago and it was okay, came to Gatlinburg for a short weekend trip to find this place is a nightmare. Most of the hotel is shut down and for sale, the only thing operating is one tower of the original hotel. We canceled our reservation and luckily found a room at a nice place near by. Their website is very misleading. This place should be closed down and turned over to the Better Business Bureau,

Knoxville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I do not like writing negative reviews, but I feel as a service to the community I should add my experience to the pile.

I gave this hotel a chance because I got a great "deal" from a travel site. Well, you get what you pay for. The woman that was working the front desk was a helpful, delight. It all goes downhill from there. Upon entering the hotel property, you may notice the boarded up, caution tape covered building that used to be the main hotel building/lobby. It's abandoned now and looks quite scary. On the left, you will notice the three abandoned buildings that used to comprise the "creekside" units. Those are also cordoned off with caution tape, Finally, you will arrive at the makeshift lobby in the basement of the "tower building". You walk into what used to be a convention room lobby to find the front desk. Just off the lobby is an old convention room that has been set up as the hotel restaurant and bar. The exterior of the tower is a patchwork of peeling paint and caulked up holes (with some old doors and trash leaning up next to it for added ambiance. That is the beginning of the fun.

One enters the elevator area of the hotel from the rear door. The lobby is old, smells like mold, and dingy looking to boot (they did get some third rate fancy furniture to put haphazardly in there though, so points for that). The hallways, in my opinion, really do look like the set from a horror movie. Keep on moving. My room was on the top floor (high roller indeed). Upon entering the room, I was greeted by the welcome stench of sewage. I was never able to locate the source of this stench but it was omnipresent. The room was OK. They seem to have reduced the number of pillows on the bed from 5 (as described in previous reviews) to 3. They are tiny little squares (in case you have become accustomed to rectangular pillows). I was particularly impressed by the packets of shampoo, that looked like taco bell sauce packets, which the hotel provided. The spots on the carpet that resembled blood were a nice touch. When I woke up, I was treated to a nice shower with osculating temperature.

The best part of my stay was the view of the Park Vista out of the window. Looking up at it, I wondered if its occupants were wining and dining while I endured my stay at the Garden Plaza. All in all, the place is a dump and you should probably look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I surprised our two children (7 & 4 yrs) with a night in gatlinburg ( live an hour away) we chose this hotel for the indoor pool for the kids. Our room window faced the pool @ which I was a bit worried due to the lights from the pool. Honestly it was not a problem w/ the black out curtains. The beds were very cozy & the pillows were fluffy like a luxury hotel. The only drawback was the hotel is located off the strip almost a 1/2 mile, but FYI: there is a backroad that goes in front of the aquarium that has street parking that you can access either by turning in front of aquarium or turn left @ strip turn rt @ end of strip as well as paid parking lots near the strip on this rd. Or just walk from hotel depending on if you have kids or not. Either way nice hotel!

• Stayed October 2011

Been to Garden Plaza Hotel Gatlinburg? Share your experiences!