“Gatlinburg Inn July 2013” 4 of 5 stars

Gatlinburg Inn
755 Parkway, Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Ranked #11 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Dinwiddie, Virginia
“Gatlinburg Inn July 2013”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

After reading all the reviews I could find (some good, some not so good) we decided to take a chance on the Gatlinburg Inn. The location, location, location is the greatest. If for no other reason, the location was worth the stay. My wife was worried they did not have a continental breakfast and I was worried about not having Wi-Fi for my Ipad. Yes they have a very good continental breakfast and wi-fi. The rooms were very clean and the staff was as nice as anywhere I have ever stayed. If you are looking for the most up to date rooms, then this is not the place for you. If you like history and old things, you will love this place. They even have a swimming pool, although we never saw anyone using it. We stayed in a newer hotel about 4 years ago, but when we go back to Gatlinburg, we will definitely be staying here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
NubberVa,

Thank you for choosing this location to stay at during your stay in Gatlinburg. Most all of our guests love the central location of the Inn. Most say they enjoy the fact that the never have to move their car. Thank you for your kind words about our staff. All of them love the Inn and treat it as if it was their own. I am glad you enjoyed the two newest additions to our hotel: the breakfast facility and Wi-Fi in all the rooms. We look forward to seeing you again on your next stay at the Gatlinburg Inn!

Gary Bailey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
London, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I love the Gatlinburg Inn. Our family stayed recently, eight of us, June 2013. We rented the parlor suite and two additional king size rooms. We have stayed previously and one of the reasons we come back is the history of the Inn. Also, the location is perfect when a large group is involved, with people wanting to do different things in downtown Gatlinburg. For example, our group ranged from age 15 to age 86, with obviously a wide range of activities desired! Family members can go out on their own and meet back up at the Inn. It is PERFECT! My 86-year old aunt came here many times in her youth, with her now deceased husband, so it is a very special place for her. On this trip she was content to walk down the street with the group for dinner and then to spend a great deal of time in the rockers on the front porch, reminiscing previous special times, I would imagine. Again, perfect! The teens were able to walk out on their own to enjoy the arcades and other amusements and then check back in with us adults at the Inn, again, perfect for us. I know it is old, but that is the charm! The owners are getting started with some renovations to modernize somewhat. From my 2012 visit to this 2013 visit, I notice one major upgrade in all the rooms - large, flat screen TV's, which I loved. But from I can tell, the renovations will be subtle, some new fixtures and conveniences, but the old charm still visible! Thank goodness. I wouldn't want them to change too much. They have a room set up which shows how the rooms will look post-renovation--very nice. This Inn is clean, clean, clean. The beds are extremely comfortable. The balconies have comfortable rockers and you can sit outside and watch the crowds walk by. The parking lot is extremely secure, in fact the entire Inn feels safe and very secure. As I said, I love the Gatlinburg Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces downtown!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Connie Y,
I would like to personally thank you not only for your stay but your extremely kind words here on Trip Advisor. We take a lot of pride in our hotel, especially it's cleanliness and comfort. We enjoyed having you and your family and we look forward to seeing you again next time!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I came across this place quite by accident and am I ever so glad I did! I was greeted by security staff that was polite and respectful and the staff at the hotel was ever so gracious. Check in was pleasant and I was in awe of the history of the place. The original Maples gentleman who built the hotel in the late 30's has passed on but you can see the love his grandchildren have for the place. The fact that the original "Log Cabin" of the 30's still stands for people to admire and enjoy is just beyond words. Yes, it has been updated and added on to over the years, but this man's dream of a hotel is there for us to enjoy. The architect who designed the additions transformed it into a beautiful Inn. I found this place to be one of the best, if not The Best piece of history I have ever had the pleasure of seeing and admiring. I am aware that many updates are in store for this Beautiful piece of history, I can only hope they retain the same atmosphere of elegance than it has held for so many years. The place is spotless, towels and linen are luxurious and the staff knows you by name. I slept better than I have in such a long time, the bedding is out of this world. New flat screen tv but real maple wood furniture, not the metal framed beds tied to the walls that you see in the modern hotels. I will most definitely return and I hope to see the character of this historical landmark retained for future generations to admire. The rose garden is still on the grounds in memory of a truly remarkable man. While there I had the pleasure of seeing his young great grand daughter strolling through the rose garden. It is truly a gem amidst the glitter.

• Stayed May 2013
Summertime1950,
Thank your for your kind words about the Inn. We are very proud of the history of the Inn and look forward to maintaining its historical charm. We are doing some renovations to better accommodate our guests, but those renovations will only enhance your stay rather then take away from her beauty. I would like to thank your for your stay and we look forward to being your "accidental" sanctuary in the future!

Eaton, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I cannot believe the positive reviews about this place. Yes, it is historical. Yes, the lady at the front desk was very friendly. BUT, that is the ONLY thing I have nice to say about it. We had stayed at a cabin over Memorial Day weekend but decided to stay one more night. Our cabin was not available so we decided to go into Gatlinburg and stay. It was my husband and I and another couple. We had seen the Gatlinburg Inn several times and thought we'd try it since it has a great location. So my friend and I went in to check in while our husbands stayed out in the car (yes, they were approached by the "security guard while waiting on us)... The lady that waited on us was very friendly, but you could smell the old in there. While I did not catch her "there is no way we are staying here" stare at me, I checked us in thinking the rooms couldn't be that bad. I was wrong. The hallways reminded me of something out of a scary movie. Dark, musty and the carpet and wallpaper have HAD to be there since the place was built. We noticed doors open to other rooms and it was like looking into our PARENTS past. (We are in our 30s & 40s) The doors aren't even solid doors. They are loovered like you would have on a closet for a washer/dryer. When I went to put the key in our door, it wasn't even shut, it just opened. While the room was "clean", it stunk so bad even opening the door to the balcony didn't help. My husband couldn't stop laughing. I have NEVER left a hotel right after checking in, and we've been to some bad hotels before. I didn't even want to set my stuff down anywhere. We all decided there was no way we could stay a night there. When we went down to tell the lady at the desk, she WASN'T EVEN SURPRISED. So unless you're 60+ or want to live in the 1950's/60's, don't go. Oh, and the best part, it was $100 per night per room and we ended up going to the Bearskin lodge that while it wasn't right on the strip, had a whirlpool bath, fireplace, comfy bed, refrigerator, etc and a view of the creek, was the same price. And no musty smell!!

Room Tip: Ask to check the rooms before you check in!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Heather R,
I am very sorry to hear about your less than par experience here at the Inn. We are currently renovating and working on some the issues you addressed. Again, I am sorry and we would love to have you come give us another chance to prove to you that we are your home in the Smokies.

Erlanger, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful stay at the Gatlinburg Inn. We have been visiting Gatlinburg at least once a year since 96. A family member has a timeshare (TreeTops Resort) since our trips have always been for a week or more we have always stayed there. This trip was for a night so I wanted to find something on the strip. I was deciding between Clarion, Hilton Garden Inn and the Gatlinburg Inn. The problem with Clarion and the Hilton isn't that they would be bad choices but I feel like if you stayed at one you've stayed at them all. I decided on the Gatlinburg Inn because of the history of the place and that people mentioned it was clean and the service was great. You walk in and you can just feel the history of the place. You need to understand that this place has an old feel to it. But don't take that statement like it's a bad thing. It really was what I was looking for. It was neat to imagine what it would have been like for someone to stay here back in the 50's. With that said the TV was a nice sized flatscreen TV and it had central air. As other posts has stated the staff was very friendly and the room was very clean. People mentioned a security guard coming out and giving them problems but we had none of that. In fact when I made the reservation I mentioned we may be arriving early that day and if it would be a problem if we parked there through the day as well as leave our car in the lot on the day of our checkout. They said it was no problem at all and just to come in when we arrived and if our room was ready early they would check us in. Which is exactly what happened. I made the reservation with Glenda and she is who was at the front desk when I arrived. Just a sweet person. They had coffee and donuts out in the morning which was really appreciated. I have nothing negative to say about the place and really don't see how you can go wrong if you decide to stay here. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did

Room Tip: We stayed in a room facing the front on the 2nd floor that had a nice porch that wrapped around the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan H,
I am very happy that you were pleased with your stay with us here at the Inn. You are right. She is very unique and just has that "charm" about her. When you walk through the door it's like going back to the "good 'ole days". We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again!

Millbrook, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel for over 20 years. It is extremely clean. The rooms are comfortable. There is a lot of history in this inn. Just ask at the front desk. While the hotel is not furnished in the "modern" style, the beds are comfortable and you have everything you need. The rocking chairs on the front porch are perfect for people watching, or you can enjoy the view from your balcony. Each room is unique, so choose the view that you like. There is a lovely pool. I do not believe they have a fitness center. Centrally located in town next to the Sky Lift.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

I am 33 with 2 girls and make them respect others, I wish other parents thought the same way. My fiancé and I stayed here for New Years (great location) but both nights the family above us allowed their children to run back and forth above us, this is a old establishment so noise travels badly, very irritating as someone trying to sleep and keep in mind this was happening at almost midnight the 30th and 1am the 31st so not being a stick in the mud. The staff was awesome I loved that they greeted you as you come and went. I hate to see this place go but we was told this was the last time it would be open for a while :( new owners are "updating" as a new customer the old look and feel is better than a flat screen, fridge or coffee makers. I enjoyed coffee with the staff in the mornings!

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Gatlinburg Inn? Share your experiences!