“Great improvements, staff needs customer service skills” 4 of 5 stars

The Edgewater Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   402 River Rd, Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Ranked #18 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Mason, Ohio
“Great improvements, staff needs customer service skills”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

We had a great trip. We stayed at The Edgewater again. We stayed last April too. The hotel has made many improvements.

He is a list I noticed
new carpet, painting, crown molding, granite sinks and new toliets. Curved shower curtains and new shower curtains.New towels and sheets. The new beds were great! I slept like a baby. 4 pillows on the beds, and new fridges and now they have microwaves also. Rooms are brand new and clean!Room 639 front side of hotel overlooking the river and city view of Gatlinburg.

Some things stay the same. Parking is awful there. You are lucky to be able to get out of your car there. I saw people climbing thru the trunks of their mini vans just to get out.

Staff is not very friendly. They did not honor my husband request for a smoking room. They fine you $200 if you smoke in the rooms or balconies.
Staff did not ask how our stay was or say come back nothing. Look at me like I was crazy when i checked out and wanted a receipt.
Breakfast still has a huge variety pancakes, waffles, boiled eggs, cottage cheese, fruit , toast , bagels, mini muffins, pastries, oatmeal, 3 different types of cold cereal, milk, coffee, and orange juice.
Pool still need redone. I am not sure they if they are or not but, it could use it. It is old but, kept up. Pool towels provided. My kids love the waterfall and loved that they can swim to the outside from the inside pool area.
We would stay again as long as they do not increase their prices to much. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

• Liked — Clean , new, and location
  • Disliked — staff needs customer service skills and parking small
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Knoxville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

I simply love this hotel. With three of my kids and three of my girlfriends kids (10,10,11,13,16,17) there was something for everyone. The pool is really neat being indoor/outdoor. There are great arcade machines, which my little ones loved. They are not the latest and greatest but my kids don't care. When the teens went swimming and the little ones played arcade games, it was time for the in-room hot tub! Loved it. Also, our view was of the mountainside, which was really peaceful. We were on the 8th floor. Staff was great. I wish there was a restaurant but that is coming soon according to the people at the front desk.

I highly recommend this hotel as it is close to everything, reasonably priced, and a lot of fun for the kiddos.

• Liked — The hot tub.
  • Disliked — No room service. Coming soon?
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wilder-KY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2008

My family and I have stayed at Edgwater many times over the past 13 years and it has progressively gotten worse. Pool area was very worn, not kept up and dirty. Parking in garage is very bad. Room was very clean. Hallways had strong glue smell. We stayed here this year knowing they had remodeled and hoped it would be nice. No luck! The location is great, but there are much better deals in same area. We purchased a "Package Deal" w/Dixie Stampede tickets and later found out we could have purchased the tickets and stayed at a better hotel for $30.00 to $50.00 less a night. After 9 visits to Edgwated over the last 13 years this was my last.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — property is old
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2008

The renovation on rooms are great, --very nice rooms. Actually they are still working on a couple of floors, but construction is very quiet. I normally stay at cabins, but this year was a tighter budget so we decided to stay in a Hotel.

It is a perfect location with walking distance to all of the heart of Gatlinburg. Parking is tight, but then again, most any place in Gatlinburg is going to be that way.

Staff is very polite. I stayed in room 707 and it was a great view of the mountains above the city and the snow that covered them during our stay.

The only negative I found was that they cleaned the balcony glass doors TOO WELL. Twice I bumped into them thinking they were open. :) ...Oh, if you have teens as in (notebook computers, hair dryers, curling irons, games, etc etc) you may want to throw a 3 way plug in the suitcase, to plug into wall, ...because between the TV, microwave, and lamps that are already there, those open receptacles go fast.

Bathrooms clean, beds comfortable, mama was happy, so everybody was happy.

Stayed March 2008
North GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

This is our favorite hotel in Gatlinburg. Convenient to everything, clean, big jacuzzi rooms, great indoor/outdoor pool (rare for Gatlinburg). Only problems we've had have been with large groups with kids staying there and kids running up and down halls, etc. but I dont blame hotel for that. Usually if you ask not to be on same floor with group, they will try to accomodate. View from river side is awesome. This is the best hotel in Gatlinburg, and well worth the $.

• Liked — View of town from elevator, big jacuzzis
  • Disliked — Large groups with lots of kids that stay there often
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2008

We stayed here in December for a little getaway before Christmas. We got a good rate on the room and enjoyed our stay. This hotel is in a good location in Gatlinburg. We were close to downtown and enjoyed walking from the hotel. The pool was indoor and heated (kids enjoyed). We also enjoyed the free breakfast. The rooms are not new but were clean and comfortable. They are remodeling also. We would stay here again on our next Gatlinburg trip.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2008

check into The Edgewater hotel in Gatlinburg.I was a little nervous since the reviews were bad.But, since i am in a travel club I could get the room for $60.00 a night so I was going to complain to much.
Well over all I was very pleased with the room.527.It had a great view of the mountains, river road,Gatlinburg skyline,and the creek below.The room was clean except for the one old vent for the heat.I am not sure that was the one that was working anyway. The sheets,carpet,curtains,and bathroom was very clean. The hairdyer was ancient but worked.
We went swimming in the indoor pool with waterfall. It was not as warm as I would of liked but was do able. The pool area was a little run down but clean.The 2 hot tubs were clean.
The elevators were slow and garage was tiny.But most are at any hotel i have been too.There was plenty of luggage carts.The breakfast was the typical cont. fare.
Beds very clean.
Would recommend to anyone. Very close to all attractions.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — needs update , But Clean
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Edgewater Hotel? Share your experiences!